TRADITIONAL The Resu-Trektion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Chad, get that rear wheel stand you have and bring it to that white wall location and stand the bike out from the wall a bit (no handlebar lean) and shoot a 2/3 front angle shot. That axle mount wheel stand was a go to in shops to show off the fast bikes!
Yes my son feels the same way. I'm not 100% on the stand but I'll get some shots with it. Those were just some quickies during the test ride.

Love the flat bars!

Are you going to replace the dust cap in the center of the crank?
Here’s a close up of the end of the cranks.
IMG_1946.jpeg

SRAM road cranks come like this but you gave me an idea. SRAM cranks have a bolt that attaches the non-drive side crank. These Shimano cranks just have a plastic cap that draws the crank in then it clamps to the splines on the other side. I realized I can actually remove that cap and have a completely hollow spindle that you can see right through. Will take the no cap to a whole new level and should be one of a kind.

Few more meh ride pics for page 8.
IMG_1944.jpeg
IMG_1937.jpeg
IMG_1928.jpeg

Gravel bike 😂
IMG_1924.jpeg

Last edited:
SRAM road cranks come like this but you gave me an idea. SRAM cranks have a bolt that attaches the non-drive side crank. These Shimano cranks just have a plastic cap the draws the crank in then it clamps to the splines on the other side. I realized I can actually remove that cap and have a completely hollow spindle that you can see right through. Will take the no cap to a whole new level and should be one of a kind.

:heart: That would be very cool!

Just a little less weight!

BTW, have you weighed it yet?
No I want to though. Not sure if I have a very accurate scale. If it’s under 15 lb I can’t enter it in a professional racing event. 😅

Should be close to factory weight of 17.5 ish but I’ll get it in a scale. I wanted to weight the frame and see what’s the smallest Schwinn part I have that weighs the same or more.

No I want to though. Not sure if I have a very accurate scale. If it’s under 15 lb I can’t enter it in a professional racing event. 😅

Should be close to factory weight of 17.5 ish but I’ll get it in a scale. I wanted to weight the frame and see what’s the smallest Schwinn part I have that weighs the same or more.

At the shop we have a fish scale that we hang from a repair stand for the light bikes. Use the seat rails usually for attaching points.

Digital bathroom scale works too, the old 'drive on with bike, drive off, unload bike, drive on without bike' then do some math.

Digital bathroom scale works too, the old 'drive on with bike, drive off, unload bike, drive on without bike' then do some math.

Tried that last night but was getting inconsistent readings. Tried again today and found that if I shoulder the bike instead of holding it I get the same reading every time. 198.8 lb - 181.8 with pedals removed.

17.0 lb. Lost half a pound over factory weight spec. Not bad.

I had assumed my shifter/brake combo would be heavier but the Microshift Centos flat bar shifters and Dia Compe MX101 brake levers combined come out to around 10 grams less than the factory Shimano 105 Sti set according to the weights I was able to find.

Bike looks killer. I agree about the need to bring a stand and get some angled shots of the bike for a 3D view. 90 degrees shots always look so flat and this bike is too sexy for that. Love the holey spindle!

Raining again but wanted to see how the straight pipe cranks look before it started getting wet.

Front yard. Wish I could figure out a simple way to blur the background.

IMG_1953.jpeg

Hollow cranks not real noticeable until you get close. I like it tho.
IMG_1954.jpeg

IMG_1955.jpeg

Couple different angles. I think the front view makes her look a little fat because of the aero head and down tubes. Think it makes the front wheel look kind of big too.

IMG_1951.jpeg

Prefer the rearish angle.
IMG_1952.jpeg

Appreciate the photo tips. Really not much to do other than overthink the final pic. Would like to put in the effort to get a decent one this time.

Raining again but wanted to see how the straight pipe cranks look before it started getting wet.

Front yard. Wish I could figure out a simple way to blur the background.

View attachment 270868
Hollow cranks not real noticeable until you get close. I like it tho.
View attachment 270869
View attachment 270870

Couple different angles. I think the front view makes her look a little fat because of the aero head and down tubes. Think it makes the front wheel look kind of big too.

View attachment 270871
Prefer the rearish angle.
View attachment 270872

Appreciate the photo tips. Really not much to do other than overthink the final pic. Would like to put in the effort to get a decent one this time.
The rear angle really accentuates and shows off the curve of the bars, which I think are a nice focal point

On a better backdrop, and with a few tweaks, it’s got serious potential

Definitely keep the axle stand! I 🥰 the 'free standing' lookof this profile shot, with the depth behind it and how it sits out in space. To me, a road bike shows best in a profile shot. Like Capt said, a cleaner backround, with the bike out a bit in front, kill shot!

Screenshot_20240625_162633_Chrome.jpg

Fill your Finished Build thread with all your cool polish and customizing bits and features. I'm a firm believer that the majority, like prob 90% of all voters, never get past the Fin Builds.

Hey Chad, get that rear wheel stand you have and bring it to that white wall location and stand the bike out from the wall a bit (no handlebar lean) and shoot a 2/3 front angle shot. That axle mount wheel stand was a go to in shops to show off the fast bikes!
Wasn’t able to take the stand by myself. Will need my son to ride the Trek so I can ride something else with the stand. But I did find something.

This post brought to you by “Momma’s Lemonade Jar”. I even got her permission first. ☺️

Liking the front angle more.

IMG_1986.jpeg
IMG_1985.jpeg
IMG_1989.jpeg
IMG_1984.jpeg
IMG_1990.jpeg
IMG_1987.jpeg

Bush
IMG_1979.jpeg

IMG_1978.jpeg

IMG_1977.jpeg

Jar really shows up on the asphalt.
IMG_1966.jpeg

IMG_1964.jpeg

Liked this angle so edited out the jar.
1719361184730.jpeg

I like this shot too. Since so much of the polish is along the bottom half of the bike. Maybe try some upshots from the same distance you are currently taking pics. Either get down on your elbows and knees and angle up a little or lay on your side. Upangle shot might also catch the curve of the bars.

1719363069542.png

Back