The Swindler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This 3” slick has some clearance issues on the back.
IMG_0433.jpeg
IMG_0435.jpeg

I stripped some paint and got things ready for space making.
IMG_0430.jpeg
IMG_0429.jpeg
IMG_0436.jpeg

If I were to make my frame dimpling tool again I would make the concave side longer to support the tubing better on the side not being dimpled.

I chose the name The Swindler for this bike because it sounded like a cool name for a gasser. I was thinking earlier that there probably was a gasser named the Swindler. Turns out it was one of the more famous gassers of the time and one that I am quite familiar with, I just hadn't made the connection on the name.
1695748483625.png

So I could have matched my colors better to the car I suppose but I don't really want to paint the bike light blue. Alright, I need to paint deck stain on the part I sanded yesterday then I can do some more on my Cheater Slick frame if I have any energy left.

Boy, life gets busy when you’re not looking. My time has been consumed with deck refinishing (almost half done!), helping my dad with a roofing project, and now I’m on my annual road trip to catch up with friends and family and see cool stuff. A couple of days ago I was mountain biking with a friend in Great Falls and now I’m hanging with family in Illinois.
IMG_0488.jpeg
IMG_0490.jpeg
IMG_0491.jpeg

My Retro-Therapy GT did admirably well on the skills track. I’m not crazy about taking doubles with it but much fun was had on singles, rollers, skinnies and teeter-totters.
I’ll be back home later next week and hopefully get the paint job done.

That's a heck of a road trip! Frost warnings this morning in the 'Mid-section' of our country. Head back to more temperate climes in Cali!
If you want to get close to your 'inspiration' paint on this truck, you might want to put down a coat of chrome spray color as a base and then use the Duplicolor Metalcast paints. That sheen and look comes from the Metalcast over a shiny undercoat.

paint for pondo.png

That truck was also one of my inspirations for paint on RaTs GaSs in a RRB BO , possibly before you had joined the group?

Final Final Photo.jpg

I had the advantage of using a chrome frame and fenders and chain guard. Really fun build!

If you want to get close to your 'inspiration' paint on this truck, you might want to put down a coat of chrome spray color as a base and then use the Duplicolor Metalcast paints.
I would love to do that, actually. I do already have paint but I may change over to the metalcast. Right now I'm just hoping to have time to finish this project. I've got a lot to get done before the rains come back so fingers crossed!
That truck was also one of my inspirations for paint on RaTs GaSs in a RRB BO , possibly before you had joined the group?
Yeah, that was before I joined up. I have checked out your build on that one before though. It's a pretty sweet bike and the paint came out amazing. :thumbsup:

With everything else going on it’s been hard to find time for fun bike projects but I made some time to work on this one today. This bike should be named the Rainmaker as every time I think I might get some paint on it the rain comes in. I started stripping the paint again this morning and sure enough it started to rain. Bummer. At least I got enough of a break this afternoon to finish paint removal and get it in primer.
IMG_0519.jpeg

I also removed the rear reflector bracket from the frame and the front rack mounts from the forks.
IMG_0520.jpeg
IMG_0521.jpeg
IMG_0524.jpeg
IMG_0525.jpeg
IMG_0526.jpeg
IMG_0527.jpeg

It’s nice to be this far along. Maybe I can get it painted next weekend.

Does anyone have a good source for 5/8" chrome sissy bar clamps? I need to get a couple for this setup.

Made a little progress over the last couple of days. Started out with smoothing some minor dings with spot putty. I’m still not good at using this stuff but it’s ok.
IMG_0529.jpeg

Then I did a little prep on the chain guard. A little acetone on a rag and it’s a Liberty Belle no longer.
IMG_0530.jpeg
IMG_0531.jpeg

This guard is in great shape and only needed minor prep work.

Then I jumped into the deep end this morning and went for the paint job. Today was my best window as it’s supposed to be windy for the next couple of days and I need to have the paint done if I’m going to meet the deadline.

I bought this paint last year for this bike. Burnt copper metallic because I love it, bright red for the accent color and Color Effex for the clear coat.
IMG_0532.jpeg
IMG_0533.jpeg
IMG_0534.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg
IMG_0536.jpeg
IMG_0537.jpeg
IMG_0538.jpeg
IMG_0539.jpeg
IMG_0540.jpeg
IMG_0541.jpeg

Even with a light breeze my below the deck paint booth worked out fine. The colors laid out well in a vintage muscle bike scheme done completely by eye. I’m really liking the Effex. The copper paint is a metallic but the red is not and the Effex dresses it up nicely. I’m really happy with the results.

Back