THRUSTER --> D O N E !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks, been awhile since I checked in - you folks have been BIZEEEE! I am going to go ahead and say I am on board for this mission build. I have what I think is a Spaceliner frame, I'll post pics tomorrow (too cold to go up to my shop in the dark right now). I have missed building and tinkering with bicycles, so this is JUST what I needed. You guys have some GREAT bikes going for sure! Not sure I can step it up that much with my piles of junk, but I'll at least jump in and have fun building my "Worthless Human Thrusting Transportation Device"! — Peace, T.

Re: THRUSTER

Looks forward to your build. Glad to see the bike bug has bit you again.

OK, I have no idea what this bike will end up looking at for real, but ere are a few parts and quickie mock-ups just to get the ball rolling...

thrust_01a.jpg

thrust_01b.jpg

thrust_01c.jpg

thrust_01d.jpg

thrust_01e.jpg

thrust_01f.jpg

thrust_01g.jpg

thrust_01h.jpg

thrust_01i.jpg

thanks for looking -T.

I like the mock-up with the x-53 rack. the motorcycle bars look cool too. Oh and your frame is a nice start too. Can't wait!

OK, been slammed with work and other stuff - made some progress. This frame was ROUGH and unfortunately the chrome was not salvageable in over 50% of bike, so I started sanding, etc. on it. I got it all pretty smooth, but found a few places that need brazing - sanding frame is not that fun... so lot's of work on frame, but not much to show yet anywhere else... cheers, T.

thrust_02a.jpg

thrust_02b.jpg

Worked on hole(s) in frame and straightening frame. Also added fender brace, I'll clean up the tiny holes with UV bondo. You guys ever used that? I can only find it at PEP Boys, it comes in a red tube. You just spread it on, work it as much as you like (out of the sun), and then set it in the sun and BAM - its hard as a rock & you can sand, add more all day long...- you should try it.

I am going to paint the frame a farm implement color that is close to "Minneapolis Molleen" - kind of a mustard yellow...
PEACE T.

thrust_03a.jpg

thrust_03b.jpg

thrust_03c.jpg

Some more progress, did dry run of everything, and worked out the kinks, going to be a little more "normal" this time I guess. Keeping it simple. Going for these bars, and old heavy chrome cranks and neck. I have to paint the stars, the chrome was long-gone (just like the frame). Took FORVER to sand the frame - you guys & gals know!

I got lucky with the fork supports, I threw the sissy bar down next to bike and it sparked this idea. I just bent them until they looked neat to me. Put one end in a vise, them hammered it flat and drilled a hole in it... going to paint them Satin Black I think...

Anyways, cruising right along, should start looking like something soon I guess... Cheers, T.

thrust_04a.jpg

thrust_04b.jpg

thrust_04c.jpg

thrust_04d.jpg

Hmmm, there's gotta be a bluegill in that tank eh?

Hey...what made you think of painting the Thruster in the Minnie-Mo color? I still see a few of those old Minnies up here and that old familiar yellow is getting scarce. You are doing a ton of work on that bike....looking forward to seeing the final product...it will be so cool.

Hey thanks guys. A few sunfish in there, but it's pretty shallow. I have a few other deeper ponds that have some good ones in there. Pretty all the same. I have always thought a motorcycle would look great in that color, especially with brass and black stuff all over it - like in the (older looking) Zero Engineering bikes.. I love those. Anyways, a good friend of mine, an older guy has an old big wood press he painted that color and every time I go over there, it just calls to me - I like the color a lot. The paint I got is not really the right color, but its as close as I can get in a can down here in TX. :lol:

nice work you had some serious work to do on that frame cudos for saving it and giving her a second chance at life :D

Hey thanks karfer! Here is last pic of the "the build". I put it all together today and spaced (ha) on the chain! I found one that will work, but had to soak it all day in diesel, then in motor oil. Here it is hanging up to drip dry... I got the bike all together today, and all working smooth. Will post the final pics tomorrow I hope. Nothing fancy or super custom like you other guys. The talent on this site never ceases to amaze me- great inspiration for sure... cheers, T.
thrust_06a.jpg

Well, this is as far as I can take her I guess. I usualy like to trick 'em out s little more, but I think the simplicity of this skinny frame could not take much more :) - so I am happy with it as-is.

I used satin black for the black in the frame. I painted points on parts of frame and fork braces, and outlined with thin silver auto pinstripe tape (cuz I can't paint that skinny). I got in a hurry, so it's not a cherry paint job, and I dinged it in a few spots I had to touch up, but I was happy with the tractor implement mustard funky yellow for sure! I found this seat on an old exercise bike, just had to paint the underside.

I guess for the most part, all the components are basically from the same era in time more or less, that was an accident, but I think it helps the look.

She rides great. Seat is not super comfy, but it's all locked down and the kids have taken it for a few spins and it can hold it's own.

Anyways, I had a great time with this build. I would have never used this frame for anything if RRB's didn't have this build. I needed this build as a relaxing man project that had a sense of completion for sure. Thanks for looking. Keep on truckin' - Troy.

thrust_07a.jpg

thrust_07b.jpg

thrust_07c.jpg

thrust_07d.jpg

thrust_07e.jpg

thrust_07f.jpg

thrust_07g.jpg

thrust_07h.jpg

thrust_07i.jpg

Beautiful!....Ah yes, the sense of "completion", nothing more satisfying!

Looks good. Nice and simple. The new fork legs are cool. Did it affect the performance at all?

Back