Tight Chains and the Unfortunate Circumstances to follow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zombie,
Application of heat helps stubborn rusty items get free too.
Use propane torch and heat the fastener and surrounding area and shut off torch then apply pb blaster and wait a while - try the fastener an if its still stuck repeat. Usually works after a while. Of course, use caution, and it burns paint, ect. :android:

Zombie,
Application of heat helps stubborn rusty items get free too.
Use propane torch and heat the fastener and surrounding area and shut off torch then apply pb blaster and wait a while - try the fastener an if its still stuck repeat. Usually works after a while. Of course, use caution, and it burns paint, ect. :android:
I appreciate the tip..if worse comes to worst.. I'll try more abrasive methods, but Id really like to keep whats original on it [paint included] as nice as I can until I put a clear coat over it all. Im not experienced with a torch, though I get the basic idea, I just wouldnt trust myself enough not to harm what I'm trying to preserve.

I sure appreciate the input. Thank you, Farmer.~

FZ

Never too tight mostly because of hub/crank bearing wear. Don't forget that chain "stretch" is a big factor. Measure from pin to pin a 12" section of chain with a measuring tape, and see how much longer the last pin near the 12" mark on the tape is. Chain stretch will affect chain tightness, as some chains have repair pieces in them that are stretched, and other areas in the chain that are not, so the chain runs tight/loose/tight/loose all the time. Not as important on rats, but the chain is the main drive component, and I advise do not skimp here. Measure your pin-to-pin lengths in a few areas on the chain, and if they differ, get a new chain. Skiptoothers know all about this problem, but cringe when we need and want a NEW DIAMOND skippy chain because of the prices for NOS ones...ugh.

Never too tight mostly because of hub/crank bearing wear. Don't forget that chain "stretch" is a big factor. Measure from pin to pin a 12" section of chain with a measuring tape, and see how much longer the last pin near the 12" mark on the tape is. Chain stretch will affect chain tightness, as some chains have repair pieces in them that are stretched, and other areas in the chain that are not, so the chain runs tight/loose/tight/loose all the time. Not as important on rats, but the chain is the main drive component, and I advise do not skimp here. Measure your pin-to-pin lengths in a few areas on the chain, and if they differ, get a new chain. Skiptoothers know all about this problem, but cringe when we need and want a NEW DIAMOND skippy chain because of the prices for NOS ones...ugh.

Yea, 75 buckaroos for a New Old Stock chain bust be a real sly kick in the bucket when the day has to come. [like the 65-90 for the NOS Delta I still need for the front fender..]

I've found with the Modern chain its using, the only link that has been altered is the Master, the rest of the chain hasn't been repaired. I did loosen the chain a little, as I was pulling the rear wheel taught as I set it the first time to keep drag of the chain off the rear fender "edging" near the chain guard.

Id be riding, and Ill get a few good pedals in, then.."CHGCHGCHG"..Then a few good pedals..and CHGCHGCHG .. it wasnt so loud it was painful. but you knew something wasn't right.Folks on the paths ahead of me would hear me from a few feet off and make room before they even saw me.

The chain if not pulled tight rubs a little against the edge of the rear fender, where it meets the chain guard..so I found I either need to keep my chain tight or slightly bend the fender for clearance. Outside of that, I have everything tightened back down and its riding like a freight train most days., slow and heavy at first, but then it gets up momentum and I'm afraid for the children that think stopping on a dime applies for all bikes!

I really wanna find a PAIR of matching bags for the rear, I like the solo enough to want some saddles..but given everyone likes the bag on it now, I'll do my best just to match it for the other side.

A little maintenance today, and I'll report back with how the ride went.

P.S. a little tossing around my thoughts led me to believe I could flip the Lucky Seven seat post and bring the seat back further and lower by doing it.. is this an obscure idea, or thesable?

FZ

Latest posts

Back