Trojan Horse

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little thin, so more work to do.
1000001749.jpg
1000001750.jpg

Good news is I don't have to buy more epoxy. My stepson is restoring an old boat, he somehow got some epoxy resin in with his polyester resin shipment. So free resin for me.

Turns out that when I designed the tank, I didn't bother to make sure the bell from the Columbia tank would fit. That's the reason I made this tank. I wanted the cool bell.

Well. Looks like I win the no bell prize.🤦‍♂️ (OJ pun)
1000001779.jpg

But the tank still looks good, so I'll work with it. Maybe I'll come up with something else. 🤔
1000001780.jpg
1000001781.jpg

"Well. Looks like I win the no bell prize. 🙅‍♂️ (OJ pun)" :rofl:

I like the tank as is. Nice work on the fiberglass! You've got a great natural patina and crusty vibe going here.

And, 'tanks' for the cred on the pun. :wondering::bigsmile:

Turns out that when I designed the tank, I didn't bother to make sure the bell from the Columbia tank would fit. That's the reason I made this tank. I wanted the cool bell.

Well. Looks like I win the no bell prize.🤦‍♂️ (OJ pun)
View attachment 236068
But the tank still looks good, so I'll work with it. Maybe I'll come up with something else. 🤔
View attachment 236069View attachment 236070
Speaking from experience, you have a lot of sanding to do. I filled the low spots on mine with JB Weld, several times. I then used a skim coat of Bondo to fill the body file and coarse sandpaper scratches. Mine warped a little as it continued to dry so I had to add a little more carbon fiber to the top. I should have let it dry more in the mold but I took it out when it was still a little sticky. I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to get it out of the mold. A lot of work.

Last edited:
Speaking from experience, you have a lot of sanding to do. I filled the low spots on mine with JB Weld, several times. I then used a skim coat of Bondo to fill the body file and coarse sandpaper scratches. Mine warped a little as it continued to dry so I had to add a little more carbon fiber to the top. I should have let it dry more in the mold but I took it out when it was still a little sticky. I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to get it out of the mold. A of work.
Sanding fiberglass is nothing new to me, been doing a lot of it the past few years. I loathe it, but it'll get done at some point.

I don't remember what kind of clear coat I used on this frame for its previous build off, but the paint stripper didn't touch it. Had to use wire wheel and paper to get the little bit I got removed of the darts.
1000001854.jpg

Stripper didn't do much damage to that old schwinn fender either, just took off the oxidation.
1000001855.jpg

Interesting thing about being retired. Pension doesn't cover the bills and leave much left over, so still working. But, I take days off whenever I want. Good thing about self employment.
So tomorrow I'll take the day and see how much I can get done with this. Might try to get that fender light working.

Love how the NoBell Piece Prize came out. That tank looks sweet!
Congrats on retirement too. I just retired back in October.

Love how the NoBell Piece Prize came out. That tank looks sweet!
Congrats on retirement too. I just retired back in October.
Thanks.
I'll get back to it eventually, right now I'm building a trailer for the dog.

Retirement hasn't gone quite as planned yet. Once Janet finishes radiation treatment we'll get to it. But she also wants to go back to work one more year, so next spring we're completely done. Should have a new camper too. Gonna be a busy fall/winter.

Here's the trailer I'm working on for my dog.
She was trained well when we adopted her, but she won't walk next to a bike. She tries to get on.
So, I figured let's try to haul her. Haven't tried yet, just wanted to test how the trailer pulled. Forgot this bike has no chain, so I just rolled down the alley.
1000001921.jpg
1000001922.jpg

Hey! What happened to the baskets? :cool2:
Baskets are for this build. Trailer is for one I called Mercury Rising several years ago.

Don't worry. All the accessories are still going on this year. Just not much time to work on it for a few weeks.
Might be a last 10 day crunch to finish.

I'm out.
Wife getting sick from Chemo/radiation, making the drive to the hospital is too much for her lately.
Temporarily living in a different city, so can't finish this one.

Good luck to everyone who finishes.
Sorry to hear that. Really wishing for the best for her

I'm out.
Wife getting sick from Chemo/radiation, making the drive to the hospital is too much for her lately.
Temporarily living in a different city, so can't finish this one.

Good luck to everyone who finishes.
I'm so sorry man. May she have peace, strength, resilience, and healing in the journey ahead.

20230707_145629.jpg

Latest posts

Back