Tryke this on for size

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the hubs are bent, the hoops themselves are damaged beyond any help I could give to them, as well as bent. Now I need to locate 2 hoops @24" and 28 spokehole, for a price I can afford. I suppose somewhere around $50 for both hoops would be about good, I hope. I guess I could start a LOOKING TO BUY post here in the classifieds. If I can't massage the hubs into a useful state, I need to find a method to fab a new set and if that happens I can reset just how many spokes the wheels will utilize, but 24"does seem like the size I should stick to, strengthwise. The hubs seem pretty basic and simple, but I bet that's what BRAIN SURGEONS say about the next surgery they'll do, and with the large amount of skill they have, simple would describe it. In contrast, I will be wading into the water of PRE-MED almost blindly, but I believe in me, so eventually I will come out on top. Enough talk, time to start this ball rollin'.

OK!! Tore the wheels apart and tossed all but the hubs, which are bent and lopsided and poorly made overall.
BUT... they are really basic design-wise, so, being the re-up-use-ologist-mech-nician that you've all seen on the radio, I decided that a couple of wheels in my shed were gonna give their lives so that my Tryke would live on!
I grabbed a pair of front wheels with disc brake hubs and began the disassembly of same. Unlaced, unspoked, undisc-ed (more on those later!), and ultimately un-hubbed the two of them to get the spoke flanges, with their little holes all around and the big hole in the middle, all by themselves.
Now I am seeking the pipe or tube for the axle-sleevey, hub-center, holding the flangey spoke thingies part of these new creations. I am confident that I can find something that has the I.D. of the axle O.D. and the O.D. of the flangey-thingies's former hub-hole's I.D., you with me?
Weight is no issue so any & all materials are fair game, as long as it is ferrous, I'm thinking. The hubs I bastardized for this were oh-so-close to being the same, and though not, they are within about a millimeter & 1/2 of being the same, and I think that once they are laced into the new hoops, which WILL be the exact same size, that mm&1/2 won't even be a factor in any way.
I don't know yet if I will do 24" or 26" hoops, but I do know the spoke-count will be @36.
I have pics coming of the carnage shortly, and then I can begin the search for the middles of these friggin' things.
Hope your day is going at least as good as mine seems to be!
Peace!

20241006_060622.jpg

I admire your perseverance here!!!

Looks to me like you need a buddy with a machine shop. The next step is likely not complicated if you could find someone with a lathe. But not my area of expertise.

Latest posts

Back