Unofficial March Shootout 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been delayed a bit. Not sure how many hours I will find this weekend, but should have some hours for next weekend.

Will try welding tha BB tub back together and stress test it to see if I can break it. It may end up being a basket case if it is as weak as I think it is.
BB transplant is drastic surgery but also an opportunity to change the geometry to something totally different, if a repair to this one is out. Maybe bow the chain stays up a bit, shorten the seat tube an inch or two and tweak the down tube for a little more clearance on this rock hopper...

GC.

Last edited:
Got back and took the bike with no name for a spin around the block. Very good feel, with the two speed hub in low it's easy and kickin' the hub up gets you into a nice "catch up with the racers" gear. That's with an 18 tooth cog in back and a 46 tooth sprocket.
IMG_20220316_144447.jpg

Then I got to playing around with rear fenders and found a short kickstand. It was getting to be a hassle, either hanging it from the ceiling hooks or leaning it on something to tweak stuff, since I have no real bike stand.
IMG_20220316_154203.jpg

GC.

Last edited:
View attachment 188655
Tried a chrome Springer not sure which one I like better seat goes back and forth to
Plenty of time to figure it out. I liked it black, maybe a mix of black and chrome. Like black set with chrome struts and spring...

Carl.

The black and chrome passed through my mind to. Still can't get spokes in this stupid town I may just trim and thread a set out of a 28 inch wheel there fairly new so should come out easily.

Nope two don't build tires and one will build them but they have to do it and last time I got them to true a rim for me it came back worse than it left. Don't even bring a steal rim in they all run

I know there's shops in Ottawa that do it, but that'll cost like 30$ in gas. We're in a bike builder's desert. You and me and the tumbleweeds

I know there's shops in Ottawa that do it, but that'll cost like 30$ in gas. We're in a bike builder's desert. You and me and the tumbleweeds
[/QUOT
I just took one apart and figured out how to do it myself. Just given the short time I had I figured I could just buy some spokes. They offered to build one for me(send it to Ottawa) with there parts for a cost of 250 bucks. But why would I want to use there hub when I have a box full of more reliable ones

Heck they call me to set up any three speeds they get. I had to show them how to but a raliegh front wheel on. (They only go one direction of the wrong way they tighten as you ride) and had know idea about Raleigh threading (27 per inch instead of 24)

I jumped down the internet rabbit hole researching lacing and truing wheels myself and I'm glad I did. I have 99% old mix and matched wheels on my horde of bikes. I did not know about the directional Raleigh hubs either and I'm pretty sure I have a few...

Carl.

Heck they call me to set up any three speeds they get
Lol Kalrim just laughed when I asked him if he'd open up my 70s Sachs hub. Also looked at me like I'm insane when I asked him if he kept any old parts he took off bikes. "Everything goes straight in the garbage"
Al just tried to sell me new bikes when I asked him about ordering parts through Bicycle World. I didn't even ask Total Cyclery. We're on our own

Scrape scrape scrub scrub spray spray.
IMG_20220316_165633539.jpg

Did the prep yesterday. Fifteen minutes of spring today, so I am painting
IMG_20220317_153949676.jpg

It is more windy than I like, having to get closer than I want. 3 maybe 4 coats to cover the pink, we'll see what I get

Heck they call me to set up any three speeds they get. I had to show them how to but a raliegh front wheel on. (They only go one direction of the wrong way they tighten as you ride) and had know idea about Raleigh threading (27 per inch instead of 24)
Sorry 26 per inch

I jumped down the internet rabbit hole researching lacing and truing wheels myself and I'm glad I did. I have 99% old mix and matched wheels on my horde of bikes. I did not know about the directional Raleigh hubs either and I'm pretty sure I have a few...

Carl.
When they put them on they tighten one side up
Then use a cone wrench and tighten the right but they actually only sit right in one way. I have tons of English road bikes they are a lot different then Canadian and American bikes.

Lol Kalrim just laughed when I asked him if he'd open up my 70s Sachs hub. Also looked at me like I'm insane when I asked him if he kept any old parts he took off bikes. "Everything goes straight in the garbage"
Al just tried to sell me new bikes when I asked him about ordering parts through Bicycle World. I didn't even ask Total Cyclery. We're on our own
Total cyclery isn't bad they can build a wheel but can kind of true but they'll give you anything they don't need got a set of 700c wheel set with a sturmey archer aw hub they thought it was dead needed oil

IMG_20220317_162344635.jpg

Really nice day our 15 mins of spring was finally able to take it out for a ride. Goes really smooth would love to have the 3 speed. But nice anyone know how to stop a springer from squeaking? Sanded down fenders today to going to polish the bare metal and maybe add black racing stripes.

Back