villageidiot's build thread "the jerk"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it when a "plan" comes together.

Nice start.... i think i'm gonna have to finally buy one of those sprockets. too hott.

Oh, and
g_ba_hannibal_posed_blue_bgrd.jpg

you're not the only one who loves it when a plan comes together, ....

todays update.....

took frame to work, and knocked out the cups for the steering and cranks, saved the steering cups, they'll be re used after some polishing, possibly painting if they don't clean up enough.

got out the death wheel (8" cutoff wheel on a electric hand grinder) and chopped the chain guard mounts off.

got out the flapper wheel and buzzed off the remaining metal left after cutting. i got a little too carried away with the flapper wheel and went a little deep and in too straight of lines, so it took an hour of sanding on it by hand with emory cloth to make it acceptable to me to powder...... hopefully it hides halfway decent.

I've been spending seriously hours looking at bicycle seats. not sure which way to go.

theres:

gt launchpad
haro hevron
velo bmx
brooks flyer (my brother brought me one to check out, but its got springs and is honey colored..... i want black, looking at b17, but don't wanna kick the dough for something i may not like the ride of)

I've come to the conclusion..... theres too many seats.

I've decided on a bar too, i think. a "fly racing" vintage bend bar.

and settled on kenda K-RAD tires. just gotta order em.

hopefully ill get the frame and fork to powder tomorrow.

dropped it off at powder.... its gunna be BRIGHT.

they didn't have a good example of what i wanted, so i went with backup #2, as I'm not brave enough to do brown (and they didn't have a good example)

it being a "working man's" bike, and the fact that "safety is no accident" i went with a day glo safety orange for the frame and fork. I've used this color on a moped in the past, and its BONKERS. hurts to look at in the sun. it'll be great.

heres a pic of the color from a moped project. i don't have a good shot of the wheels, but when this bike was rolling, all you saw was day glo, it sort of floated.
superpinto.jpg

pintohub.jpg

hubs were stunning though.

not a lot has happened.....

frame still at powder coater, hoping its back by the weekend.

i polished the headset cups on the buffer at work, they're stock worksman ones that came with the frame, came back to a low lustre nickel type finish..... good nuff

seat came in..... its too small. WAY too small, like a kids bmx seat. not sure what to run, but i think i need to check out some seats at bike stores first vs buying online.

will update when more happens..... hopefully soon.

dropped it off at powder.... its gunna be BRIGHT.

they didn't have a good example of what i wanted, so i went with backup #2, as I'm not brave enough to do brown (and they didn't have a good example)

it being a "working man's" bike, and the fact that "safety is no accident" i went with a day glo safety orange for the frame and fork. I've used this color on a moped in the past, and its BONKERS. hurts to look at in the sun. it'll be great.

heres a pic of the color from a moped project. i don't have a good shot of the wheels, but when this bike was rolling, all you saw was day glo, it sort of floated.
superpinto.jpg

pintohub.jpg

hubs were stunning though.

"You mean I'm gonna stay this color?!"

Cool build. :cool2:

so, just like the movie "the jerk" this is somewhat a comedy of errors.

got the frame back from powder coat, apparently, safety orange isn't the color id used in the past, and it came out a regular ORANGE.
BC0E51EF-DAE3-476E-B970-42087808C383_zpsazmovhw1.jpg

i did get the bars today, these are the FLY racing vintage bend motorcycle handlebars. i dig em.
4549C585-A188-4DF4-AE54-238390850948_zpsc7iqptab.jpg

a mock up of sorts.
1E7E3285-D6D2-4B38-A4D5-05FC928E2B3D_zpst5gbpqza.jpg

works a bit nuts right now, and i had to do some wiring on my dual sport, so thats all for tonight, i hope to have everything i have to assemble, assembled on sunday evening. though i forgot to order my tires, so they won't be in till tuesday..... like i said, comedy of errors.

also, ended up going with the bontrager G1 tires.

RAL numbers help with this kind of scenario.... I think it looks really good as it sits now, though.... nice bars, and i dig the less flamboyant shade of orange.

its sunday, so as promised, an update....

my brother and his team of little helpers came over to help me with this (and to eat dinner, as he and his family do every sunday night).....

got the cranks in, sprocket on, headset in, loose ball bearings in the steering races, forks on, stem on (temporarily, need some stem spacers), and the handlebars in so i could see how they look etc.

ACA26ED2-814F-41DA-A706-6D532C666F85_zps0zco6ajp.jpg

and a pic with the helper team
06C4AEF2-D766-4E71-BF23-A90C9E349777_zpsfhedf2ce.jpg

i need to get spacers for under the stem, probably about 1/2" i could make them, but i want them black, so ill buy em.

tires will be in tuesday, and i will pick up the shims then.

ill check out the grip selection at the LBS, and i need to grab some seat guts and seat post material from the metal supply shop.

more to come soon.

picked up some 7/8" solid aluminum bar for the seat post. gotta get some seat guts and drill and tap the post so the guts don't slip on the post.

after machined, then i can polish it.

couldn't find any .120 wall stainless, I'm still going to look, as i may need a lay back post for it.

Back