Voting Strategies

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure that's not why the build off allows more than one vote. Even within the two classes, there are wide differences in builds. Why shouldn't we be able to acknowledge all of those differences that intrigue us by voting for them?
You should be able to acknowledge the differences that intrigue you through votes. I just think along the same guidelines you use for the Oddjob award. You limit it to five. 👍🏼

I'm old skool. When I joined it was always a 3 vote, so I have stuck with that. (it's a challenge) Ist - 2nd- 3rd in both category's.
How I vote is: WOW factor
Would I ride it, or own it, and is it a comfy ride.
Individuality, thought process, building form.
I always look at the first frame photo, and the last, to check out the difference, and then go into the build thread on the process.
I think you can build from garbage/ collected items, and the obvious brand new bling stuff. But it's the way you bring it together as a end result.
I have always built my bikes from trash. This year I felt it was time to actually spend money and have some nice new things.
Next build most likely trash again, keeps the brain operational.

I usually vote three and my own.

Back in the three vote days, a couple times I didn't vote for mine because I felt it didn't come close to the three I did pick. Doh!! No votes one year. Since then always vote my own plus the others. I would like to think my builds have improved on quality over the years.

This was a difficult thing for me to decide but I came up with a strategy that I think fits the occasion.

I’ve voted for every single bike.

Then I went back and looked at all the bikes again and unvoted the ones that had something too objectionable to put them in the running with the remaining bikes.

In the end I’ve voted for about one third of the category two bikes and about 2/3 of the category one bikes. THEN I went back and paired it down again by unvoting any that I thought was just too ordinary for a rat rod contest.

This is the only way I could do it, because I thought there were too many bikes that were almost perfectly equal in quality, as regards the contest objectives.

1691023202403.png

First I start with selecting the bikes that I like most.
Then I will generally scroll through the build threads, since bikes that are not in my 'taste zone' still can have a huge amount of creativity or cool stuff put into them. Every builder, situation and things are different, that what I like about this. Its not complicated, but very complex!

Add some, remove some and decide :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I've tried to be a traditionalist and stick to 3 bikes for each category over the years. This year I had to vote for 4 in the Class 2.

There are going to be a bunch of cool bikes again this year. Voting is going to be something that requires serious thought and planning. In the past, I have struggled to keep the number of votes I cast low because of the quality. What is your thinking about votes? Only vote for one, or multiple, and if so how many? Voting only for the bike, or does the thread weigh in your consideration?
I will ask my self in each class. if this build / bike popped up for sale at a fare price. do I love it enough to sell two or more I own. to get cash and room to own that bike. if answer is yes I want it that bad. then it gets my vote. if it do's not make me think of getting ride of some I already own. to make room. then no votes for it. that do's not mean it's not nice. but I got to drawl a line some were. can't vote for all the bikes.🤷‍♂️ just look what he started with were it is now + how badly do I want one like it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back