Western flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok I'm in :) I've got this..
atate8eb.jpg
badged as western flyer, I bought it cuz I like the curved fender braces (one is broken) and its got blackout new departure hubs. I've had it since last summer but its been on the back burner, it's the only bike I have that I haven't already started working on so here goes :) this is gonna be a really traditional build, it's the oldest and most complete bike I've started with so I don't wanna goof it up too much. I don't have the skill or the creativity or the parts stash to try to win this thing, I just wanna have fun and build a bike that I like to ride, stay tuned....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That CWC looks great as it is!

Nice currently near perfect bike...sell it to me!!!!!!! I want
it....gimmee gimmee....!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks you guys! Trust me its not gonna change much, it has a couple issues that need to be addressed and a couple parts that need to be replaced but overall this is gonna pretty much be a disassemble clean grease and rebuild more than anything else. The black paint is not original and not very well done (that's putting it nicely) and I've got a couple cool chain guards,one of which will find its way onto this bike but I basically want a nice rider, and I guess I probly shouldn't tell you I only paid 85 bucks for this thing :)

Looks to have some good survivor paint, good buy.

Sweet score and sweet bike its gonna look great!!!!!

Thanks guys! Got it mostly apart
ybesutyd.jpg
the front fender bolt is stuck in the fork, so I filled the bottom of the steer tube with pb blaster, gonna let it soak a few days. Here's the broken fender brace
2ugepata.jpg
but I have a solution to that :) no combination of fire and leverage could get the mis-matched pedals off so...
5uty3eqy.jpg
then break out the drill set to get the stub out
ytanupu8.jpg
after that its into the wood bleach with these parts
ene8yva2.jpg
then upstairs for shower food and sleep :)

I love the CWC bikes, great start...are the crank arms curved?
Thank you! It's a regular dog leg crank, ill post a pic when I take it out of the wood bleach tonight or tomorrow morning. I've gotta say that the encouragement from the experienced builders is the best part of this so far, thanks guys :)

I guess since the pedals were mismatched, the hacksaw was one viable option. My favorite skip tooth sprocket design of all time? You have it on this bike!!!! coolman..

I've gotta say that the encouragement from the experienced builders is the best part of this so far, thanks guys :)

The encouragement and camaraderie from ALL builders is what draws a lot of us to the build off every year.

Not sure if I'm gonna try to make this thing back into a bike seat or just save it for parts and use something else...
u5e4ydaj.jpg
the wheels are pretty rusty and the tires are mismatched
9y2upa4a.jpg
but I really like the hubs!
yme6uger.jpg
these are one (two?) of the features that drew me to this bike
arera3am.jpg
I have the headset and bottom bracket parts soaking in a bucket of simple green to remove decades of dirt and something I think used to be grease :) if the weather cooperates the NERRB guys are having a ride Sunday so I might or might not get any work done this weekend...

After my Saturday chores were done I took these parts out of their wood bleach bath
ne7a4ysu.jpg
a bit of anti seize on the stem bolts so whoever finds this thing in my shed in 50 years can take it apart easier than I did
ehahenep.jpg
I will put some of this on the pedal threads too :) now I've gotta decide which bike I'm gonna ride tomorrow and give it a pre-ride check, see you guys in Simsbury!

Nice! We should get together for a ride at East Longmeadow with our build off bikes when they're done!

anyone here know how to decode CWC serial numbers? I've got H59767
on the bottom bracket, just curious

Latest posts

Back