Western flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told this one was early 46? Got up early today and started working on assembly, finished the wheels late last night
utynuvu9.jpg
had to go to the hardware store for a couple things, I had to drill out the rivets to put the good fender braces on the good fenders so I got some brass screws
ve8a7esu.jpg
and a piece of 5/8 steel rod
5yhery8e.jpg
I'm 6 ft tall and my knees are shot from 30 years of racing and crashing dirt bikes, so I need " technically correct" knee extension to pedal a bike for any amount of time so form is gonna follow function on this one, a bit of fire and some bending
6yryhypa.jpg
and I've got a seat post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything else was pretty straightforward, crank and headset greased and adjusted and then bolt the parts on, a short test ride went well, only issue is a slight chain rub on the fender but a little bending will fix that :) here's what I've got
de7y8atu.jpg
some more test riding is in order and probably some fine tuning but its mostly done :) here's a couple detail shots, the light was a gift from my girlfriend
yguru5y3.jpg
and so was the padlock
ebygy3u3.jpg
the idea to hang it on the frame like that was blatantly stolen from Ian's bike last year, and finally the little lizard dude is gonna hitchhike on the fender
qyva4asu.jpg
thanks to Nick for the pedal blocks, Ian for the grips, Joe for the fenders, Jane for the light and lock and everyone here for the inspiration and encouragement

Looks good. I remembered mine was a called a 3 gill bike, referring to the tank that may have been used on it. Also, my chain guard was identical to the second one you listed.

Great bike!
Tough to beat the classic lines of a CWC.
I love the two tone light and that lock is sweet too.
The lizard is a neat personal touch too.

Looking good! I like all the neat details! Let me know when you wanna ride! :thumbsup:

After you finish riding that sweet bike around this weekend how about put your pin on the BONINE WORLD MAP
Done sir! Brought the bike up to Maine this weekend to hang out with Jane and put some more test ride miles on it :) this thing rides great, nothing fell off or came loose so i guess I'll just hafta ride it more :) we found this cool granite bridge on a trail behind the cemetery
nejabyde.jpg
and a glamour shot in front of a barn door...
6yhe9u4y.jpg

Thanks you guys! Trust me its not gonna change much, it has a couple issues that need to be addressed and a couple parts that need to be replaced but overall this is gonna pretty much be a disassemble clean grease and rebuild more than anything else. The black paint is not original and not very well done (that's putting it nicely) and I've got a couple cool chain guards,one of which will find its way onto this bike but I basically want a nice rider, and I guess I probly shouldn't tell you I only paid 85 bucks for this thing :)

Only $85 ? Wow! How did you get it so cheap? :thumbsup:

Everything else was pretty straightforward, crank and headset greased and adjusted and then bolt the parts on, a short test ride went well, only issue is a slight chain rub on the fender but a little bending will fix that :) here's what I've got
de7y8atu.jpg
some more test riding is in order and probably some fine tuning but its mostly done :) here's a couple detail shots, the light was a gift from my girlfriend
yguru5y3.jpg
and so was the padlock
ebygy3u3.jpg
the idea to hang it on the frame like that was blatantly stolen from Ian's bike last year, and finally the little lizard dude is gonna hitchhike on the fender
qyva4asu.jpg
thanks to Nick for the pedal blocks, Ian for the grips, Joe for the fenders, Jane for the light and lock and everyone here for the inspiration and encouragement

Done sir! Brought the bike up to Maine this weekend to hang out with Jane and put some more test ride miles on it :) this thing rides great, nothing fell off or came loose so i guess I'll just hafta ride it more :) we found this cool granite bridge on a trail behind the cemetery
nejabyde.jpg
and a glamour shot in front of a barn door...
6yhe9u4y.jpg

That is one awesome bike! <3

Latest posts

Back