What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I spent a couple of weeks in Savannah loading one of those while I was in the Air Force another lifetime ago. We were headed to Jordan for an interservice exercise and loaded Bradley & M1 tanks, trucks, tractor/trailers, backhoes, bull dozers, loaders, helicopters, etc. along with several containers. It was a huge exercise and had a blast in Savannah while working the night shift. Spent a lot of time at the Waffle House near the port. It's incredible how big those things are & how much stuff they haul!!:13:

(the ships, not Waffle House....)

PBR aka Pumps Berms Rollers on Big Blue

20220614_151628.jpg
My post in 26" BMX was based on a true story about the new track in Eerie. Though crowded with kids, the little ones were cool and most of the tweens were being selfish and idiotic. There were enough lapses in the parade for me to wring it out a bit and though fun, the banks are not steep enough to hold the same speeds that the track in Broomfield does or flat out on the back stretch of the one in Superior. The long wheelbase on Big Blue made for a hoppy ride when at higher speeds. The wooden banks are all show, no go. I didn't even put rubber on them.

five rides in the last four days were on these two. I've owned them 33 and 31 years. The '89 Supergo Access is made in Taiwan with Columbus tubing, and the '90 RB-1 (bought as a leftover in '91) is on it's third groupset and had the frame restored in 2016. Meanwhile the high tech expensive bikes collect dust. I should probably sell them so I can build more vintage steels.

67693951573__2A2ACE4F-76AE-45D6-A2B9-24D83EECB227.jpg

On that RB-1, as a Cat 3, I placed fifth for CT and 11th over-all in the combined state and New England road race championship Cat 1-3 race in 1992. I had to beg my sponsor to let me ride it in the race because we were a Cannondale team. No way was I going to race a 3.0 crit frame for 100 miles.

The theme for Longmont Bike Night was "Happy Birthday to You" and we had 149 riders and 2 dogs. Since I couldn't wear my birthday suit (at the cleaners:giggle:) I rode my Mizutani Super Seraph.
IMG_20220615_200030680.jpg

The group was so big that the lead met the middle of the group at one point.
IMG_20220615_190222108.jpg

Crossing Main St.
IMG_20220615_193009280.jpg

Cruised the east side for a bit before looping around to cruise Main St.IMG_20220615_190356739.jpg

Cruising Main St. Do you see the Karate Chicken in this photo?IMG_20220615_194928512.jpg

IMG_20220615_194942915.jpg

Beautiful, warm night for a ride....🙂

Nice night for a ride. Another build request was garnered at the break point, so checking out a couple of frames this morning to see what will be viable. I chatted with the pedicab rider a bit after you dipped out, cool people. On the way home I spied the couple that was on the Aventon e-bikes ahead of me and passed them. That chrome Voyageur was itching to go fast after all of that slow.

Rolled into the parking lot and it was mobbed with kids attending a day camp thingy or something they are running out there. They left before I had my bike out of the truck and did not return for 45 minutes, which I took full advantage of. I was actually able to learn a few high speed lines on this bike today. A few people floated through and took a lap or two, but were cool and did not make it crowded. One youngster that rolled through right before the daycamp kids returned had Vans/Cult treads on his bike. I jokingly asked him if he knew who was responsible for the design of those tires and apparently his mom works with said person (an old friend) at North Face. Small World

20220616_134054.jpg

That looks like fun. I missed the bmx era, and have always wished I hadn't. Now I hope my kids will want to do it, but as luck would have it, only a bike addict like me would have kids that have zero interest in bikes. (sigh)

Yesterday, I was riding the Schwinn Phantom bmx I restored in my neighborhood and a kid on a motorcycle stopped to look at it.

That looks like fun. I missed the bmx era, and have always wished I hadn't. Now I hope my kids will want to do it, but as luck would have it, only a bike addict like me would have kids that have zero interest in bikes. (sigh)

Yesterday, I was riding the Schwinn Phantom bmx I restored in my neighborhood and a kid on a motorcycle stopped to look at it.
The BMX era started in the early 1970's and probably before that in places. It's had a few lulls in popularity, but IMO that is when real advancements have happened, created by those with both soul and vision. It has not ever ended and with the advent of the paved pump tracks, appears to beginning another blossoming moment in time.

My daughter is not a bike addict and I've always been okay with that. She likes to cruise at the beach and when I lived in Anacrime, we'd pedal to about 20 Angels games a season. It's never bothered me, though I believe she would have made an outstanding Track Racer.

Some kids appreciate bicycles nowdays. A couple of youngsters shadowed me throughout the local community ride Wednesday and I caught them staring at the Chrome Voyageur a couple of times. When out ripping around at the local parks, I always take the time to talk with and encourage any youngsters who are interested.

Fixed it for ya, Eric!

It's a stunning bicycle and that color is very pleasing to the eye. I heard a bunch of the compliments.

Thanks! :bigsmile:

It has a tendency to turn heads in the wild. Folks seem to have good things to say about it, which I appreciate. Need to find a new owner for it, unfortunately. Can't keep 'em all!! 🤷‍♂️

I took my '39 Flying Ace for the Old Bikes Club Bluz Cruz yesterday to celebrate Father's Day. :)

Civic Center Park
IMG_20220619_113020840.jpg

Denver City/County building
IMG_20220619_113840615.jpg

World renowned Art Museum
IMG_20220619_113926601.jpg
IMG_20220619_114011977.jpg

Chilling at Washington Park
IMG_20220619_130819162.jpg

Union Station
IMG_20220619_170549390.jpg

Ice cream stop
IMG_20220619_163900080.jpg

Another stop for shade
IMG_20220619_153831851.jpg

Blu rode his '39 Flying Ace as well!
IMG_20220619_161717584.jpg

We start & finish our rides at Fishback Park which is on the west side of the Platte River from Ball Arena where the Colorado Avalanche clobbered the Tampa Bay Lightning 7-0 in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs the night before. (You can see it in the background)
IMG_20220619_175326139.jpg

A beautiful day for a ride with friends!:)

I took my '39 Flying Ace for the Old Bikes Club Bluz Cruz yesterday to celebrate Father's Day. :)

Civic Center ParkView attachment 197615

Denver City/County buildingView attachment 197617

World renowned Art MuseumView attachment 197612View attachment 197613

Chilling at Washington ParkView attachment 197614

Union StationView attachment 197616

Ice cream stopView attachment 197620

Another stop for shadeView attachment 197611

Blu rode his '39 Flying Ace as well!View attachment 197619

We start & finish our rides at Fishback Park which is on the west side of the Platte River from Ball Arena where the Colorado Avalanche clobbered the Tampa Bay Lightning 7-0 in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs the night before. (You can see it in the background)View attachment 197618

A beautiful day for a ride with friends!:)
Where did you get that shifter?

Where did you get that shifter?

Found it at a swap meet. It was painted gold. Sturmey Archer shifter.
IMG_20181216_130409851.jpg
Removed the spray paint to reveal the clear plastic cover with chrome on the back side. Bummer the shifter handle broke off when the bike tried jumping off the rack on the way to a Bluz Cruz. Trying to find an Iron Maiden statue of Eddie "Aces High" to use his head as a shift knob.........

Latest posts

Back