"WHEATPENNY" 1934 Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kinda using the same style direction but completely different as well. Really like this style.

Decided at the last moment to try this paint from Ace Hardware:

wp038.jpg

I had their spray paint in my hand ready to buy, but this stuff gets way more coverage (according to the can) for less money, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I slathered it on some pedals first, before committing to the wheels:

wp039.jpg

Very impressed with the way it lays out! This was with a foam brush. It pretty much looks sprayed on.

Started the tedious process of masking the wheels, because I don't want to disassemble them. I think its still less work than unlacing and lacing them back up:

wp040.jpg

Also decided to leave the tires on and mask them. That will avoid any paint damage from mounting the tires after they are painted:

wp041.jpg

Just need to scuff the existing paint up and I should be good to go to paint them. If it works as good as the pedals they should look great.

Great work so far, I'd love it if you could include the foam brush in a pic, just to see how does one look like...

Here is the brush I'm using and the paint going on:

wp044.jpg

And here are the copper-colored, clear coated rims soaking up some sun on the deck:

wp042.jpg

wp043.jpg

The masking was kind of time consuming, but knowing myself, the end result will be much better than trying to lace up and put a tire on a freshly-painted rim. This way I just remove the tape, air up the tire and I'm good to go.

That copper came out nice. Did you just use spray can clear? I was just wondering how it reacted to the copper paint.

Got ta' buildin' the name plate today:

wp045.jpg

Used a combination of metal shear and nibblers, since my shear isn't deep enough to make the long cut:

wp046.jpg

Rough cut:

wp047.jpg

Getting close:

wp048.jpg

Close enough to drill holes for the hangers:

wp049.jpg

That's as far as I got today, but if time = money then the wheels only cost me about 7x the cost of a set of 3G wheels to do myself. Why is it that masking tape never sticks to anything, until you want to get it off of something?

Here's where I'm sitting at sunset tonight:

wp050.jpg

wp051.jpg

Starting to come together...still have a few tricks up my sleeve...

Nice flow and details!
I'm digging it.

Nice ride man!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back