"WHEATPENNY" 1934 Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, so I took a super long break from this one, but I'm not out yet! Had to deal with some life-consuming issues at work, but I finally got past them and re-acquainted myself with the bike. Hopefully I will still have enough time to bring most of the ideas in my head to realization.

Anyway, started working on some fenders. I knew I wanted to use 1/8" x 2" stock, which would be a little more difficult to work with in some ways, and easier in others. I wasn't sure how big I wanted them, so I just threw the whole bar on there and bent it around the tire:

wp052.jpg

wp053.jpg

An interesting look, but a little much I thought, so ultimately I decided to go minimalist:

wp054.jpg

wp055.jpg

I thought I had a picture of the work in progress, but I can't find it, so maybe my camera didn't take it. Basically a lot of cut-off wheel action, followed by filing and sanding.

Here is the beginning of the front one:

wp056.jpg

On the boring side of things, you can see my rear sprocket is now skip tooth friendly:

wp057.jpg

Only down side to the small rear fender is I have to find a different way to support my center stand, but the gears are turning on that one...

Welcome back to the madness!
Cool fenders!

Had some vinyl graphics made, and decided to try using one as a "paint mask" to lay some copper leaf:

Apply mask, then apply glue on top of it:
wp061.jpg

Apply copper leaf:
wp062.jpg

Move it around to cover everything you want:
wp063.jpg

After everything is dry, peel up mask:
wp064.jpg

Carefully burnish the rough edges down, then clear coat (not cleared yet in picture):
wp065.jpg

This was just a test, so its not perfect, but I think it might work good. If I don't have time or screw it up, I have regular black decals to use.

Problems, problems, problems....

With all the parts I have laying around, it looks like I'm going to have to BUY a stem to do what I want to do. Oh well...

Front axle needs to be swapped out on front wheel, but I may still go with a different hub, which would mean re-lacing the wheel.

Apparently there is no such thing as "durable" copper paint, at least not in new copper color, only "antique" or "aged" copper. Workable, but not what I had in mind. In my search for paint, however, I did discover "copper leafing", which could get expensive but looks like it could be very cool if executed properly...
Has anyone ever tried electro plating frame or bike components in copper? I have limited experience in electro forming from art school. You could have not only a copper colored bike but a copper covered bike that you could polish and clear coat for a shiny penny look or patina.

Has anyone ever tried electro plating frame or bike components in copper? I have limited experience in electro forming from art school. You could have not only a copper colored bike but a copper covered bike that you could polish and clear coat for a shiny penny look or patina.
Enter the world of John Brain and you will find one: http://chopaderos.com/forums/index.php?topic=3748.0

Luke.

Coming along nicely! Pretty metal bike...can't wait to see finished...

Decided today it would be nice if the Nexus 3 speed actually worked, so I fabbed up a shifter with some spare parts laying around:

wp070.jpg

wp071.jpg

Probably wont have time to do the leafing right, but still plan to do it later. Planning on final pictures tomorrow:

wp072.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back