Winter Burrito Build Off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Money got tight today, but I'm still going to try and make this work! I drew up a bike that could possibly use the previously mentioned varsity or a cruiser and some gas pipe. I think the latter would be best, as I need a 20"fork and front wheel.

Anyone else got ideas brewing?
66540_10150292890720607_558620606_15185314_1310355_n.jpg

i can get (i believe) a 24 cruiser frame dirt cheap, as well as a bmx 20" and any rim/tire to match but may have to wait for next week.

If you were local, I could hook you up with all kinds of freebie frames. 20"bmx, 24" suspended MTB, 26" diamond and ladies cruisers... etc etc.

Run an ad in the local Craigslist for unwanted/unloved bikes, you might be surprized at what all you can drag home for free. it seems once people know you "want" them.... they tend to multiply pretty fast. I ran an ad in the paper they put out at work and within a few weeks I had over 25 freebie bikes. With that being said.... If the wife sees my stash, im toast! :roll: :lol:

Ratfink1962 said:
If you were local, I could hook you up with all kinds of freebie frames. 20"bmx, 24" suspended MTB, 26" diamond and ladies cruisers... etc etc.

Run an ad in the local Craigslist for unwanted/unloved bikes, you might be surprized at what all you can drag home for free. it seems once people know you "want" them.... they tend to multiply pretty fast. I ran an ad in the paper they put out at work and within a few weeks I had over 25 freebie bikes. With that being said.... If the wife sees my stash, im toast! :roll: :lol:

done. we shall see what happens. i mentioned that they wont be resold but used for custom bikes for friends and family.......hopefully that helps

I've been working on rebuilding my commuter bike (my old one's headtube cracked) so once I'm done with that, I'll start stripping bikes for this. I've got everything I need, hopefully. Of course, since I'm a glutton for punishment, the frame will be the least of my worries.

I don't want to lay anything out yet and jinx myself, I'm still not sure I'll be able to finish it, but I'm going to try. I have the rear triangle from a steel dual-suspension MTB (yes, I know, nasty) but it will be the perfect starting point for a 'rrito. Brakes, bottom bracket for a jackshaft, and mounts where the hinge and shock were. :)

Well, I was determined not to use this bike...but as mentioned earlier money got tight and this is what i've got so far.
40734_10150298888745607_558620606_15301100_2571389_n.jpg

does anyone think a bent fork would help at all for making it easier to ride?

i think the only way a bent fork would help is if you also modified the headtube angle.

I'm in. I started building yesterday.

Here's the plan for the frame. It's based upon some 24inch wheels, 27 inch forks , seat and bars that I have. I wanted a rake and clearance similar to my motorbike. The distance from the seat to the peddles and the seat to the handle bars based upon my current push bike.
IMG_5014.jpg

After drawing my plans, I went to my shed and discovered that if I joined two of my frames together it almost perfectly matched my plans. Here's a pic of the mockup.
IMG_5010.jpg

Next I needed some tubing for the top tube. They are doing kerbside hard rubbish collection locally so I went and found some candidate tubing. I settled on some tubing from an ironing board. I believe that it is rigid and strong enough, provided that I have two parallel top bars. As a bonus, the tubes have a nice curve. I haven't welded anything yet. I bought myself a $30 blow torch yesterday, and intend to braze the tubes together. I have access to an arc welder, and will have a go at arc welding the two frames together at the rear lug, centre bracket joint, but will braze the rest. A MIG welder would be handy at this point.

Here is a picture of my progress as of Sunday night.

100_0506.jpg

I probably wont get a chance to do any more building for the next fortnight.

Well, unless I come across another bike or 2...I may have to drop out of this one. My attempt at modifying the head tube angle didn't exactly go as planned haha.

Granth said:
Well, unless I come across another bike or 2...I may have to drop out of this one. My attempt at modifying the head tube angle didn't exactly go as planned haha.
Sorry to hear that, but I think there's still a few weeks between now and New Years

By my reckoning we have 6 definite competitors and 3 maybes as follows
Granth maybe
Ratfink1962 in
stretch in
Sinner4 in
FunkyStickman in
rev.chuck in
Chainsaw maybe
Highridah in
antipodean in

Don't count me out yet boys! I've come upon a Plan B!
73849_10150307068055607_558620606_15452154_4725630_n.jpg

67208_10150307067560607_558620606_15452134_3402216_n.jpg

The first pic has a piece that keeps the bar from the front end to the BB continuous, but its hard to see. I will work on it this weekend. i will probably cut out the "cow catcher" on the front as well as the colored down tube.

I've got a bike that I started a back in June. I rode it, worked on a few of the bugs, broke it, fixed it, rode it some more and aint happy with the forks and a few other things. I've also got a lot more ideas for the beast. Is there a problem with bringing the old girl to the dance? If it's o.k., count me in!
I'll post some pics of it later tonight or tomorrow. I've got bronchitis right now so don't expect any updated pics until I get feeling better.

Back