Can't Take It

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm sitting here with nothing to do. I have that Western Flyer frame that is just sitting there doing nothing....so.
I stretched it 7'' ...ok it goes with the name.

cantidecision001.jpg

cantidecision002.jpg

Then I decided to add that round tube instead of the seat post.
cantidecision003.jpg

then I decided to build another top tube since that one was too short anyway and it might as well go back to the seat post tube.
cantidecision007.jpg

And last I am figuring out what position the cantileaver tubes will look best....or to leave them out all together.
cantidecision005.jpg

cantidecision006.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok so I'm sitting here with nothing to do. I have that Western Flyer frame that is just sitting there doing nothing....

does it sound like bikes are talking to Uncle Stretch to anyone else, its like it the bike was asking for it :lol:

sorry to interupt Uncle Stretch, ON WITH THE SHOW !!! :D

I can see a whole lot of Basman inspiration in this so far. Correct? :wink:

Normally I dont cut up regular frames. Its oh so much more fun to scratch build ones. Anyway they said they were closing at 2 and it was about 1:30 so much for tubing. This w/f was so little and I have robbed the parts off of it. My choices were either cut it up or throw it away....I chose the cut it up. It may turn out cool I raked it so much its going to flop. I already know it will not be a bike you would want to ride any long distance , but for the sake of a cool rake job ...what the heck. It gives everybody something to look at .

I really like the way the frame is except the back seat stay and the cantileaver stuff. It looks better without it and maybe a straight seat stay.

withnothing001.jpg

withnothing002.jpg

paul, you are really on to something this time. the straight downtube married to the slightly basmanish rear,gives you a great chance to fuse the old and the new! 8) you could make any number of twin bar combinations,that would look great. go for it! by the looks of the head tube angle, im betting its getting your brain fork! :D

texasbigjon said:
by the looks of the head tube angle, im betting its getting your brain fork!

Whats left of it. I wasnt over joyed with the way that turned out ,so I took off the spring part .....It should come into play today. To slam a tire up against the curved seat post is a challenge. I havent hit it yet. :lol: :lol:

Ok I think I found a setup I like. The 24'' wheel fits the curve in the seat post better...The only problem is I will have to cut the chain stays off and build some that will let the wheel be closer to the seat post. No biggie. I bent a curved pipe to match the top one and it looks pretty good sitting there so I guess its a keeper.

betterfit001.jpg

betterfit002.jpg

Nice! I love everything about it so far- I like the second pictured version of the cantilever tubes, but the final version is so perfect! How about some rear facing dropouts? I think that would be a killer touch.

Unchained said:
Nice! I love everything about it so far- I like the second pictured version of the cantilever tubes, but the final version is so perfect! How about some rear facing dropouts? I think that would be a killer touch.

BMX-style rear dropouts could be cool, especially if you can integrate some chain-tesioners. I've often thought about adapting a springer fork for use as a rear swingarm...

Well glad everybody likes it so far. I did do rear dropouts..thats all I know how to do. As far as a swingarm ,you have to have that stuff lined up really right for it to work. If you dont have enough spring rate it will drop down too far and make the chain slack. Might take a little doing. I will snap a few more pics in a minute...still have to do the seat stay and then weld it all up. I will probably run out of wire....I'm down to my last bandsaw blade and I'm really having to scrounge to find stuff to finish. :roll:

Got money just hate to drive three differant places to get stuff...ruins a whole day's worth of work. :wink: have to be able to improvise...Was looking at an $85 Harley bracket to use for dropouts till I found some other metal.

Back