Can't Take It

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its getting closer. I still have to shorten the forks till the chain stay is level ....weld and grind a bunch and come up with a seat mount....but its getting close. Its turning out fairly wild for a Western Flyer ha ha

close002.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
. Its turning out fairly wild for a Western Flyer ha ha
I like it!............But what's left to the Western Flyer?......The down tube and bb? :lol:

The down tube ,BB,neck and part of the two little tubes that are hooked on to the back of the BB....Well part of them . :roll: Glad you like it. So far its a fun build. Keeps me occupied. :lol:

I knew you were going to end up painting that Western Flyer or at least part of it. :wink:

Looks good. Put a banana seat at the rear of the top tube and call it done.

I guess I could leave the down tube and neck red. If I put a banana seat on it I would need a little cart or something behind it to hold it. :shock:

Looks like a real pain to ride, when you turn the front wheel is it kickin the bottom bracket out in the oposite direction? Almost like it needs tabs on the front of the forks to mount the wheel so it doesnt pitch the frame out from under you when you turn. Just a thought

Ok Maddog I dont think it will be that bad. May take a big space to turn in though. If It turnes out ok I will probably hack the neck off and weld another on at a more normal angle. I was just messing around with a junk bike ...not that there is much left of it. I kinda got carried away and strayed from building something that rides good to something that looks crazy. It probably wont happen again. :oops: :oops:

Yeah the bad thing is with the way that frontend flops ...its mashed my finger several times. I havent had that problem with my normal builds. :roll: :roll: :roll: And if we ever have a contest for the ugliest dropouts I'm in on that build.....yuck

Oh man not smashed fingers :shock: i do like the way you have that bar on the back matching the curve of the wheel, pretty cool. But that front end has one crazy rake man, looks kinda scarry

Well one thing you wont have to worry about your feet hitting the tire when you pedal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even though I stretched it 7'' its not a very big bike. Shoot Deorman I am having enough trouble trying to figure out a seat ,much less a sissy bar.

I love the looks you have going here. Has the shape of a Nissan Murano. This bike deserves a seat that needs to be custom hammered with a wide rear part for the buttox and a longer than usual front that is split to go on both sides of the top bar and the front would have to also be curved downward keeping the same curvature of the fender. Mounted as low as possible to the fender would be my choice, but what do I know. You're doing great by your self. I love what you do to bicycles.

I was thinking it looks like one of the pods from the body snatchers. :shock: Trust me on this ....it has gone way past what I envisioned. I'm kinda sorry now for doing the wild neck rake. It could be a nice bike if a little more thought is put into a seat and some cool bars. I sat out there last night and tried to come up with a way to add a seat and still stay within the scope of the look. I'm about blank. I never thought about splitting a seat and integrating it into the frame on both sides. If nothing else , I love the wrap around seat post and the fender to match it. I really missed on the dropouts. They look like crap ,but the axel had to be right there to make that wheel look right. :(

What if it had a pivot for the front of the seat welded on there and use a coil over spring kinda like a Harley softtail? Maybe some big 1/2 moon style beach bars that come back to you when rideing

There really isnt anything to weld to on the back . I had thought about welding a clip on the front and then something on the back to hold the back two springs, but I'm afraid that would all get too much. Then I thought about building a big seat post clamp that would just go around the top tube. I tacked a piece of pipe on to get an idea ...looks like I was right ...anything you stick on there will kill the lines.
seat001-1.jpg

Before yall say it...I had it about 6'' farther back as you can see by the weld spot....It looked so stingrayish sitting over the back wheel.

Well, I don't know how feasible this, being a bit short myself, but...

Keeping in with the lines of the top tupe and the second bar, could you slide a banana seat really far back, to where the top tube curves off downward above the rear wheel, and mount the front end really close to the frame using the clamp you already placed there for the current seat? If it was low enough to the frame in the front, and angled downward at the back, with a padded sissy bar, it might be comfortable and fit in with the top tupe line. It wouldn't work for me probably, because I'm a bit short as I mentioned, but if you were tall enough to still reach the pedals, it should be fine?

I thought about that ,but I dont have a banana seat.,and also cutting the top tube out in the back and welding a pipe straight down to the center tube and then building some sort of seat in the notch ...kinda like a cafe racer on a motorcycle. So far I moved the seat back to its original spot. Was kinda short with it up 6'' ...then I cut 4'' off the fork tubes to get it to set a little better in the front...and stuck some old bars on it.

mock002.jpg

You're not building this for fun, you're gonna go after the current "longest wheelie" world record, aren't you?! :wink:

Back