*FINISHED* Bonnie, the Randor cruiser frame. First build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

From Canberra, Australia here. Have modified and built a few crappy bikes, some single speeds and recently a lowrider (have wanted a lowrider since I was a kid). But I have never started with a completely bare and stripped frame before.

So I scored a cruiser frame from a mate who had it sitting around for years. I've always wanted to build a cruiser so I'm starting with this frame.

I saw the Bareknuckle Brawler built by one of the members on here for one of the bike build contests. I think it's a really sweet ride. I'm hoping to build a similar style bike, but without all the fabrication.
So in the same style - fat tires, stem setup and triple tree forks. Just waiting for a lot of the parts to make their way here. Ordering from the states for a lot of parts, can get expensive on postage!

I still need to find an old school saddle that will suit, also cranks, rear wheel, rear cog/freewheel.

As for paint, I have a sweet flat grey colour that I would like to use on the frame. The paint is good quality but it's acrylic. Should I be using enamel?

I have no idea what the frame is. I don't think it's the highest of quality frame, the welds on the cable brackets are fairly poor. Anyone recognise what it might be? It has an Lxxxx serial number stamped on the bottom of the bottom bracket housing.

iven found the brand of frame. it's a Randor. Some Jap brand that now doesn't exist

photo storage

picture hosting

photo sharing websites

online photo storage

Started the wire brushing

image ru

Re: Old cruiser frame. First build. ID type of frame?

It looks like an old Schwinn Cruiser 5 because of the cable guides and the mounts for the chain gaurd.

^ the 2 things I hate about the frame haha I'm thinking of grinding off the cable guides and the chain guard mounts. Is this a bad idea? I don't intend on using them at all.

Re: Old cruiser frame. - front wheel

Ordered some 24x3 rubber. Front wheel is complete, but still need to find a rear wheel. On the hunt for one tomorrow!

Found a pair of 24's at the recycle place. AU$10 for both. Was happy with that. Although I'll only be using the rear wheel.

Since the pic, I've cleaned the wheel up, removed the multi gear freewheel and re-greased the bearings. It actually looks pretty mint. The rim walls will need a new black re painting though.

free photo hosting

Re: Old cruiser frame. First build. - forks arrived

Well, the local postie contractor is putting in the hours. He delivered my forks today (sunday!).

So I put them on the frame as a mock up to see the fit. So far, pretty good.

Still yet to mount the fat rear rubber. I have to paint the rim before that happens.

Re: Old cruiser frame. First build.

Cheers guys!

I'm still undecided about colour. I know the bike will be flat grey, but I'm undecided about light grey or medium grey. Kinda leaning towards medium grey, that way the chrome forks will contrast a bit more, but I don't want it to look like it's a gunmetal grey colour which most medium greys can look that way.

Decisions, decisions.

timtulip said:
Cheers guys!

I'm still undecided about colour. I know the bike will be flat grey, but I'm undecided about light grey or medium grey. Kinda leaning towards medium grey, that way the chrome forks will contrast a bit more, but I don't want it to look like it's a gunmetal grey colour which most medium greys can look that way.

Decisions, decisions.

I am kinda diggin' the bare metal look. few coats of flat clear and call it done. Or wire brush the rest and polish it.

outskirtscustoms said:
timtulip said:
Cheers guys!

Decisions, decisions.

I am kinda diggin' the bare metal look. few coats of flat clear and call it done. Or wire brush the rest and polish it.

Yeah I'd love to do the baremetal look too! But the frame wasn't treated nicely before I got it. There's hacksaw marks pretty deep in one part, a fair few other areas of pitting that won't look nice. I'm doing a file finish on it, but it needs some body-filler work to get it smooth in a lot of areas.

Oh Boy, i feel so usefull right now! :mrgreen:

check out i just saw this a min ago..
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66677

What you have is a Jap frame called a 'Randor'

haha i thought you had a 90-00 schwinn frame at first and you drilled the back holes in the drops but then i saw that one in sale' and realized you have one of these Randor frame.. its cool though i dig it they look neat 8)

iven said:
Oh Boy, i feel so usefull right now! :mrgreen:

check out i just saw this a min ago..
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66677

What you have is a Jap frame called a 'Randor'

haha i thought you had a 90-00 schwinn frame at first and you drilled the back holes in the drops but then i saw that one in sale' and realized you have one of these Randor frame.. its cool though i dig it they look neat 8)

Mate! That is awesome! Thanks for that. Now I know where the heck this thing came from!

Re: Randor cruiser frame. First build.

Trying to think of a name for the ride. Was thinking the Randy Randor now that I know what brand of frame it is. But I don't think it will suit the style of bike that it's going to be.

I finished off painting the rear rim this week and fitted the rear rubber tonight.

The stems and handlebar shims arrived this week too. So tonight I cut the handlebars that I had in waiting in half and mock fitted the stems to the fork legs.

free image hosting

Haha yeah man, no prob.. im glad to help anyway i can :mrgreen:

That thing looks AWESOME.. so far :p 8)

Ranny the Randor haha :D

what color it gonna be?

It's definitely going to be a flat grey colour. Not sure if it will be light grey or medium grey.

I doubt I'll keep the forks chrome either. I might just sand them back so they're a satin finish. Not much of a fan of shiny haha

I received the truvativ bottom bracket and bottom bracket adapter today too. Just waiting for the crank to show up to size up the chain and freewheel.
I want to run a really easy gear ratio. I'm 6ft, so my knees will be just under my elbows with this ride haha So I'll be running close to a 4.0 ratio, maybe 4.2. To get this I'm using a 44t front and 21t or 22t freewheel.

The seat hasn't arrived, might take a little while. It's coming from the UK and I only bought it last weekend. I have to wait for it to arrive before knowing what seat post to use or if I have to get one made. I want the seat to sit right in and just above the rear rubber, real low.

Still on the hunt for a set of pedals that I like. I have found a few alloy and black bear traps that might look good, but not aggressive enough. I want something that will look pretty tough.

When I put the forks on as the first mock up, I just put them loosely on. So today I went to tighten them up and see how much I need to chop off the top of the tubes to have them sitting flush.
Once I tightened the top plate of the forks up and had it all sitting flush, the steer tube was rattling around in the head tube.
I ordered 1inch head tube forks when I should have ordered 1 1/8 inch head tube forks. Oops.
So I've had to order some head tube reducers. More parts in the mail. The postman is going to be busy with me in January haha

Back from holidays and A LOT of parts have shown up!

Going to my LBS to buy a chain, brake cable and freewheel tomorrow. Then I can have this thing kind of mocked up and rolling.

Back