*FINISHED* Bonnie, the Randor cruiser frame. First build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Randor cruiser frame. First build.

BB5 brake

photo sharing

Tektro bullhorn brake levers

photo uploader

Shimano NX01 chain. I love the look of these chains.

free image hosting

Crank. I'm thinking about sanding it back to alloy, no black.

host images

Grips

Headlight. Will receive a cheap LED light conversion.

free image hosting

Headtube shims. Because I ordered the incorrect fork size hahaha

picture sharing

Saddle.

pic upload

1 of the stems. I've started sanding these back.

photo hosting sites

Rear light. Getting a single LED light put in it.

picture sharing

Guts of the cheap LED light that's going in the front headlight.

upload photos

Rear of the headlight bucket cut to fit lens and guts of the LED light.

image ru

Front of the headlight bucket with the LED lens in it.

photo sharing websites

Frame - wire brushed

image hosting

Frame - wire brushed

upload photos

Frame - first primer coat

photo hosting sites

I forgot to take photo's of all the filing and sanding and filing and filing and filing that had to be done. It looks like this poor old frame has had a rough life! A lot of previous hacksaw marks and cuts, weird welds for some cable guides and what looked like a chain guard mount but definitely not standard.

Re: Randor cruiser frame. First build.

18htan said:
Looking good mate.

Got all the bits, so no excuse now. Time to get building!

Cheers folks!

Just waiting on a few things like seat post, seat clamp and freewheel. No massive rush on those, I still have a fair bit of painting and sanding to go!

Re: Now named: Bonnie, the Randor cruiser frame. First build.

Looking good! Love those supercheap auto led lights, got one set up for the headlight on my Cadillac build... :D

DSC00147 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
Cheap and easy!

That bike of yours is going to look really good, got some quality parts there too! Love those bullhorn style levers, liked them since I first saw them, might be a good fit for my next build...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Looking good! Love those supercheap auto led lights, got one set up for the headlight on my Cadillac build... :D

DSC00147 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
Cheap and easy!

That bike of yours is going to look really good, got some quality parts there too! Love those bullhorn style levers, liked them since I first saw them, might be a good fit for my next build...

Luke.

Haha Nice work! Yeah, the LED conversion is just so easy. And paired up with a more powerful battery, they can look great.

I've always loved the inverse brake/clutch levers on some very early motorbikes. My love for them re-kindled a couple years ago when I first saw the Falcon Bullet. That thing is just amazing. The most perfect bike in the world in my eyes.
So with the bullhorn style Tektro levers, for a .... good price I can have the inverse brake lever for this bike.
I think the pair of them only cost me $20 new. I was sanding down the lever cover tonight, removing the black paint.

Good price on the Tektros!

That Falcon Bullet is an amazing looking bike, never even noticed the levers till I just looked again, shows how well balanced that bike is that single items do not stand out...

Luke.

Chain ring wire brushed. I like the look of the brush marks, going to leave it this way. Same as with the handlebar stems that I'm using, going to leave them rough brushed.

photo sharing websites

The brake housing paint stripped and buffed. Fitted to the handlebar. I had to hone the handlebar out a fair bit to get the brake to fit.

photo sharing sites

First colour coat - white

image hosting

After some 600 grit wet sanding, the second colour coat. Light grey.

upload pics

Then more 600 grit wet sanding and the third colour coat. Medium grey. This will be the colour of the frame. I still need to do another 600 wet sand, then another coat of paint and a very fine wet sand to finish.

image ru

I had to drill the end cap of the grip that will have the brake attached to the end of the handle bar.

I need to file it a bit more to get it a bit nicer. But the second pic shows the grip on the bar with the brake fitted.

I still have to sand back the end caps and get rid of the logo's etc. Tonight's job out on the deck!

upload foto

photo sharing websites

End caps sanded. Wet sanding with 320 then 800 then 1200 grit.
Decided to give the leather on the grips a bit of 'age' too. Just gave them a light dry sanding with 1200 grit.

Pic shows caps sanded, leather 'aged' on one grip. Both grips have been done now.

pic hosting

Below is a pic of the steer tube of the triple tree forks. It has a bit that sticks out at the bottom. If I wanted to cut this down, does it matter? Can anyone let me know why I would want to keep this part sticking out?

The reason I want to chop it is to get the bottom plate of the fork really close to the front tire.

free photo hosting

Back