*FINISHED* Bonnie, the Randor cruiser frame. First build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Now named: Bonnie, the Randor cruiser frame. First build.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
It's to bolt a caliper brake to, or a light bracket.
Hack it off!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Ahh brilliant! I'll lop it off then!

It has a little metal ring on it underneath, to stop it sliding up maybe?
But if I clamp the plate on tight enough, I don't need the bottom steer tue poking out at all do I? And I don't need to keep the metal ring in there?

Cheers mate!

From now on I'll probably take photos with a real camera and not the phone.
The phone seems to add a weird blue hue to the photos. The frame is a medium grey, but in these pics it looks a little blue-ish.

Anyway... hopefully I'll have some more pics/progress to post during the week.

Looks great so far, glad you removed the brake mount from the bottom. It really let you bring that front end down for a more aggressive look.

Keep going, keep building.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Re: Bonnie, the Randor cruiser frame. First build.

bean said:
Coming together nicely 8) .......hope your knees are good though :)

Haha yeah, I think I'll have to have the seat up a fair bit if I'm going on a long-ish cruise. I'm 6ft, so my knees are coming in to my elbows haha

I'll play around with seat height and bar positions.

I thought I had a kickstand that would fit the frame. But I realised that the frame doesn't have a bracket with a hole for the typical kickstand bolt to go through. The bracket is rather small and only really designed to hold a bolt for the rear fender (if fitted).

What kind of kickstand am I looking for to fit?? I can't seem to find a kickstand that would mount to this frame.

Any help?

I think this frame needs a kick stand that attaches to the rear axle. Ugh... ugly.

Found a kick stand. I don't like the look of it. So once I cut it down to size I'll probably rough file it to give it a messy look.

Other than that, the bike is nearly done. I'm still waiting on the 22 tooth freewheel to come in the post, but in the mean time I've fitted a spare 17 tooth freewheel that I had. Will be a bit of a push, but manageable.

The seat post arrived. Getting it cut and re-welded to a better laid back riding position for my size.

The rear light needs to be fitted, but I'll do that once I get the modified seat post.

Other than that, the bike is almost done!

Re: Bonnie, the Randor cruiser frame. First build. ALMOST DONE

haha killer lookin road beast man.. 8)

i been credited :mrgreen:
"iven found the brand of frame. it's a Randor. Some Jap brand that now doesn't exist"
didnt know they dont exist anymore though :p

So I took her for a spin. Rides smooth as anything!! Really digging this bike. I changed over the seatpost today and also fitted the rear light, so it's pretty much done now. Will post pics.

But after a long ride, the sleeve of the BB was undoing itself. Not much, but it was definitely working its way loose. It baffles me as it's the left side that was doing it. The left side is reverse threaded, so to loosen itself I would have had to be peddling backwards, right??

Why would it be slowly working itself loose if the direction to tighten itself is the same direction I'm peddling?

I'm stumped.

It kind of works backwards to what you would think, as the bearing balls are rolling on the crank axle and so change the direction of travel against the cup... Like little planetary gears if that makes sense?

So in other words you want the cups to unwind if you twist them in the direction of travel, because the bearings will be pushing it the other way when you pedal...

I know what I mean, but don't know how to putting it into words... :| Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
It kind of works backwards to what you would think, as the bearing balls are rolling on the crank axle and so change the direction of travel against the cup... Like little planetary gears if that makes sense?

So in other words you want the cups to unwind if you twist them in the direction of travel, because the bearings will be pushing it the other way when you pedal...

I know what I mean, but don't know how to putting it into words... :| Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Luke.

I guess that does kind of make sense. But I'm using a 3 piece crank and a Truvative sealed bottom bracket in a converter to fit the larger BB shell.

Back