HiaWhatThe? might have to call her done,not sure yet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: HiaWhatThe? exhuast LED's in and BURNING!!

Cool idea yooth, but I don't want to weld anything to my cool Star chainring.

yoothgeye said:
Xcruiser said:
I have a two gallon bucket of microswitches

Then you may be overqualified for my humble idea. :p

Nope,just a simple guy who got lucky buying a box of micro,momentary,toggle,rocker switches from a former radio shack dealer.

kingfish254 said:
Speaking of chainrings ,I snatched up my neighbor kids bmx bike after I noticed it had been sitting by a tree too long.He bent his chainring and bent his cranks so i replaced them.The sprocket I took off should straighten out,it has a sweet sawtooth design so I might slap it on the WhatThe.

Ill grab a pic in a bit

kingfish254 said:

Welding is one thing, but just a little hole drilled in it with a bolt and nut, you could even lay them out as a design. On my first rat I used short bolts and brass acorn nuts to fill holes and add decoration to my chainring.

bike5.jpg

how about a faux oil tank to carry the battery box? a tea tin from Ebay or a vintage tin can of some sort works well.

do a search here on RRB for some examples.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
how about a faux oil tank to carry the battery box? a tea tin from Ebay or a vintage tin can of some sort works well.

do a search here on RRB for some examples.

This is what i had in mind originally,finding a tin or box or making an oil tank.Someone mentioned trimming the area with metal wich isnt bad either.
I think I might have to make something tank like.and see if i can make my cheapo welder love me.
Some real sweet tanks are being made and I just dread being the Johnny come lately (copycat) but a tank may be the best choice.

THANKS A TON FOR ALL THE INPUT FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELPS ME OUT

Man this bike is looking nice 8) 8)

Wow! Crisp, clean Kool! I love the look of your bike. Superb.

bean said:
Very nice 8) 8) ............now what are you gonna do for the next 2 months?

a: its bare metal/clear coat so I can dissasemble it and make changes,tweaks etc. as I find new goodies for it without worrying about scratches.
b: wait and see if my old bent spoke vintage high top rim equipped bike can actually stay competitive in this. :lol:

-Theres a chance Ill thrown on a set of new chrome steel standard hub rims I have, just to get some shiny spokes and hubs on it.But I sure like the look of the old angle edge high tops that are similiar to the originals.
-Found a cool sprocket I might try,Ive got to straighten it first.
-Got an idea in my nugget for an oil tank to hold the light switch/battery box.
-Need to dissasemble the seat and replace a broken spring that makes a nice "kurchunk" every time I sit down.
-Trying to come up with an idea for the tank,decals,graphics,something.

This buildoff just keeps getting better and better. With each new thing that gets added to a bike it ups the game for the whole field and right now you are so far ahead of the game in time you can still come up with a crap load of great ideas. Great Work! Robert

As much as i loved the old high top rims I felt I better swap them for a new set I had.The old front one was kinda chipped and crusty in the chrome department and the hubs were grey and dull ,spokes were all grey too.The old rear rim looked great but the spokes were rusty.I want the bike to have that (seen better days but still rollin' )look but want it clean too ya' know.
The new rims are your typical modern ebay cheapos but have bright shiny chrome spokes and hubs.

Im not sure if I did the right thing ditchin' the old high top rims so let me know what ya think.
It too dark to get decent outdoor pics so we will have to make do with these.
hiawathanewwheels002.jpg

hiawathanewwheels005.jpg

hiawathanewwheels008.jpg

hiawathanewwheels010.jpg

Re: HiaWhatThe? -Wheel swap,new cheapo chromies

The new rims look fine, but the old ones really pop. Especially the way the rear one just flowed down to that fat beasty tire.
Spokes are overated. I say go back to the old boys.

kingfish254 said:
The new rims look fine, but the old ones really pop. Especially the way the rear one just flowed down to that fat beasty tire.
Spokes are overated. I say go back to the old boys.
Im thinking you might be right.You said it better than I could"flowed down to that fat beasty tire".
I had a much better set of high top rims but I gave them to a bike bud thats down on this luck.I think Ill likely just true these up and put them back on.
More work for me woohoooo!!!!!!!!!!

had some people ask what I used to polish the frame.Figured Id fess up and save some folks alot of sanding in the future.lol

I used this Roloc on a die grinder at fairly low throttle.Starting at one end of a tube I would work in one motion to the end leaving behind a machined finish rather than an actual polished one.
roloc001.jpg

wow!

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

Welding is one thing, but just a little hole drilled in it with a bolt and nut, you could even lay them out as a design. On my first rat I used short bolts and brass acorn nuts to fill holes and add decoration to my chainring.

bike5.jpg
Somehow I missed this post,Great idea Yoothgeye but I beat ya to the punch,see my 60 Corvette. :D
This is a Varsity sprocket that already had holes
1960corvette008.jpg

zmisc045.jpg

Latest posts

Back