One-Liner.... Now in FINISHED BIKES thread !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only thought to add, would be to use a flat color, and IF you end up stripping it down and starting over, do the color first... and I like the cream.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Here it is...my trial run on the "Sugar Coating Patina" technique....frosting mixed up and spread over existing rust paint on the donor woman's Firestone frame. Then spray with Rust-Oleum Satin Ivory Silk, very light coating. Then immediately hose off the frosting mix 'sugar coating' . TRM, you've done it again!

Pretty pleased with the result. The color is very soft, like it's been on there awhile. I'm going to do another round of the sugar coating, and then try a Rust-Oleum Satin Fossil (very faded sage green) and see what it looks like with a two- color approach.

Here's where it is so far.....step by step....I will use a brush to apply sugar coating next time. The sponge was handy....

IMG_20160602_093736.jpg
IMG_20160602_093742.jpg

IMG_20160602_093943.jpg

IMG_20160602_095455.jpg
IMG_20160602_095509.jpg

Not to bad there OJ, looks like it might work out.

I finally found the build from last year I was thinking of. It was GYSOT, by @justride.
Unfortunately none of the pics are there anymore. But I think you've got it looking good.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your fast trigger responses! Today is our sunny day, low humidity, very light wind, 63 degrees....perfect painting weather...gotta git er dun! :bigsmile:

Here is the frame after a second coat of the frosting, then with the Satin Fossil spray color. It really has an 'old' look to it....I guess that's why they call it fossil...
It gets better looking as it drys, and of course, my lo-fi photo phone doesn't do it justice in the first place.

Thinking if I want to add more 'surreal' rust later I could as well. Help with the over lapping areas to blend more consistently.

IMG_20160602_102755.jpg
IMG_20160602_103201.jpg

Your killing me all I herd was Lowe humidity, light wind & 63 degrees !!!!
Try now wind high humidity & 89 degrees.
Looks good also a scotch bright pad works wonders on slowly pulling off some paint & blending colors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your killing me all I herd was Lowe humidity, light wind & 63 degrees !!!!
Try now wind high humidity & 89 degrees.
Looks good also a scotch bright pad works wonders on slowly pulling off some paint & blending colors

Haha! Yeah, FL would not be for me. And, funny you mention it...I just rubbed my scotch brite pad over the paint / rust patina and it does help blend! Spring / early Summer in MN is pretty hard to beat....

I love summers & fall in the north east that I do miss . Long winters not so much . But you have the best of both worlds . Off to Az when the snow starts [emoji1305]

I noticed you we trying the Scott bright pad . Didn't ya see me out be hind the shed ! Lol[emoji15]

Okay, so for comparison sake, I just freehanded some rattle can on the rear triangle / back of the seat post. First a light mist of Satin Ivory Silk, followed by a mist of Satin Fossil. Let dry for only a couple of minutes (like I said, it's very dry with a light wind out here...) then hit it with the Scotch Brite green pad. Then added a few shots of my Multi-colored Textured (lighter brown) . I think I like the results....fades in well, not so defined paint lines....

Check out the camparison of the rear triangle / back of seat post shot vs the Sugar Coated treatment.
IMG_20160602_111102.jpg
IMG_20160602_111044.jpg
IMG_20160602_111020.jpg

Your thoughts?...

And here are the four spray cans of the Apocalypse ....
IMG_20160602_111552.jpg

Looks like your getting a good feel for it now. I like the look . Keeping the can back a ways & let the wind do the work makes for a nice mist of paint spray [emoji1303][emoji1303]

I like the sugar coated technique. Maybe have more rust on the top and more paint on the bottom to give it that naturally weathered look.

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood....for the first ride on the newly 'painted' One-Liner.

I ended up freehanding the whole frame. Tore it down, hung it upside down in the stand, sprayed from bottom up. First with the Satin Ivory then the Satin Fossil. I gotta say, it does look old; and I'm not just talking about the guy in the black hat! :21:

Fossil...that was a nickname we had for friend's older boyfriend in college! (he was 25....)

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG
IMG_2488.JPG
IMG_2489.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

Good idea painting it upside down, I'll use that!

Who's Fred?
I finally figured out what you meant! Haha! It was my wife saying "Red" ...meaning the phone was recording video! Fred...:rofl: We will have to use that one on here somewhere.....

Had a couple of new ideas for the front of the tank. Have to see if I can make it work....

Back