Project Krate-Ray MILK KRATE FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 12/4 "Milk Krate"

Looks CLEAN!

You just cleared over the stickers?

I had thought about doing that before, but wasn't sure it would turn out. I had the lettering cut and I used the background as a stencil to spray the color on. It worked pretty good, but left raised edges in spots on some of the letters.

Yeah, vinyl can handle enamel clear, but laquer clear is "hot" and tends to burn up thin vinyl or waterslide decals.

Great idea on the Milk Krate. good execution on an old Idea.

Sorry to ruin the surprise but that is an AWESOME IDEA! Great decal work! Cant wait to see it finished

Ok, I need some honest opinions: I'm trying to decide how to mount the rear disc brake caliper, please look at A and B
This is how schwinn krate disc brakes originally looked:
bikes085-1.jpg

A. Similar caliper position, would have to fab up some kind of mount like the original schwinn
bikes082-8.jpg

B. This position would allow me to simply drill a hole in the caliper body and anchor it with a long bolt connecting the shock sissy bar to the frame. Would look much cleaner but doesn't resemble the original schwinn brakes
bikes081-6.jpg

What should I do?

Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 12/11 NEED HELP!

Your right CCR, I'm waiting to get a hold of a suspension sissy bar. I better wait on that first in case there's clearance issues. You may have just saved me from a major headache :D

Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 12/11 Milk Krate

Got a hold off a loose Atom drum brake from a member over at Schwinn, I'll just have to lace that up to my current front wheel. Ordered some white cables for the bike. Trying to find a nice krate shock sissy bar, get the rear caliper figured out, and then she's done!

I don't think the seat shocks will work with A or B.

Here is my C and D. I hope you don't mind.

C: I would flip it about 180 degrees from your "B" and mount it on the frame like it was designed for.
(I think this would be the cleanest look.)

D: point it almost straight down, and build a bracket similar to the schwinn one and clamp it like they did. coaster brake arm style.
(This would look more correct, but would still look "rigged")

bikebuilder is probly right about A still not working quite right, you could mount the sissy bar in position A but when the suspension compresses the sissy bar pops out the bottom of the tubes, and would probly hit the caliper. i know my grey ghost repop had about an inch sticking out the bottom of the tubes when i was just sitting on it (im a 250# kid :lol: ), a lot more when i hit a bump.

Re: Project Krate-Ray UPDATE 12/19 Milk Krate

Got the caliper all figured out finally. Just waiting for my Atom hub and sissy bar to come.
bikes-23.jpg

Got my front hub in the mail today, maybe it'll be a christmas miracle and I'll get everything done before the 25th. :wink:
bikes098.jpg

if you hit the brakes too hard, you will definitely get thrown!!!!

The caliper looks a little loose on the seat stay, but I REALLY like how your cable looks running along the frame. :D
Your bike is just so clean looking. Can't wait to see the full shot.

Did your hub come with the stopper thing that bolts onto the fork?

If you don't have it, try hyper-formance.com

Back