Ratty jet bike. DONE 1/20

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Ratty jet bike...we have a roller!

Peatbog said:
Zoink! That is cool. A bobbed fender would look great on there.

That airplane tank is one of the coolest tanks I have ever seen. The star chain wheel is cool too.

Thanks everyone.....

Peat....I found the tank on ebay a while back and actually built the entire bike around the tank! 8)

I am not a big whitewall fan and never use them on any of my builds, but those look killer.
Nice build so far. Looking really good.

Looks like an old school bobber! :D I like the apes, fits the bike well and looks good with the fat tires 8)

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looks like an old school bobber! :D I like the apes, fits the bike well and looks good with the fat tires 8)

Thanks! Like I said, I am not sure I like the looks of the apes, but they certain feel good sitting on the bike, so I think they are staying. :D

I got this really cool Western Flyer branded speedo back in the fall. I mounted it on the bars tonight, but haven't hooked it up to the front wheel. I was out there at like 530a this morning, so I am done for the night.

Superb build!!!!

When I looked at this photo it sorta looked like a tricked out El Guapo. It would be cool to paint up an El Guapo with those jet graphics!!!

wfhr8.jpg

Re: Ratty jet bike...rear fender installed *pics* 1/9

I was digging Mark's (Rusty513) rear fender on his Typhoon. I was still liking his fender braces out towards the end of the fender and the bobbed look, but I already had a pointy fender on Grumpy. I went online and noticed a lot of the rat rod motorcycle guys run that rear brace straight up vertical and then just hack the fender off blunt with the brace. So, I thought that would look cool on this bike. At first the fender was sitting too high. 24X3 are slightly smaller than 26X2.125 in my opinion. I found a set of middleweight braces and when I mounted them to the wider ballooner fender, it made spread the braces a little more and basically shortened the length if that makes sense. Then I added a spacer up on the fender mount inside the chain stays. That gave it a nice fit. I redrilled the fender brace holes so the braces were straight up vertical. I chopped the rear fender with some snips and then too a file to it and rounded off the edges just a bit to give it a nice shape. It isn't perfect, but its a rat bike.

Thanks to OZ1972 for the freebie rear project fender...although I think I cleaned it up too well!

wfhr11.jpg

wfhr12.jpg

Looks awesome. Would look killer with a laid back seat post I found the correct size solid rod at a hardware store for my Elgin

Onewheelsqueel said:
Looks awesome. Would look killer with a laid back seat post I found the correct size solid rod at a hardware store for my Elgin

Yeah, I need to do something. That integrated seat clamp is posing a slight problem with slamming the seat. I'm thinking I can flip the seat clamp and drop it another inch or so with the existing post.

I love how the Troxel I got off the exercise bike has a frame that is a upside down u shape that allows me to flip the clamp and run the post through it, and put the nose of the seat right on the post that's dropped down as far as it can, I love it.

Onewheelsqueel said:
I love how the Troxel I got off the exercise bike has a frame that is a upside down u shape that allows me to flip the clamp and run the post through it, and put the nose of the seat right on the post that's dropped down as far as it can, I love it.

That Elgin is awesome. I've wanted one of those for a while. Then again, I want about every bike I see!

I hear ya on wanting all kinds of bikes, I need to hit the lottery. Lol Thanks on the Elgin I'm loving it, can't wait to have it done I have a bunch of parts on the way and soon close to being able to possibly afford a tank! Lol

Love the whole build and where it started, I started on of my car builds once with a late '30s-mid '40s unknown steering column. Fun to see how they evolve.

Onewheelsqueel said:
I hear ya on wanting all kinds of bikes, I need to hit the lottery. Lol Thanks on the Elgin I'm loving it, can't wait to have it done I have a bunch of parts on the way and soon close to being able to possibly afford a tank! Lol
Doesn't that Elgin take a "long" tank that extends back behind the seatpost? I love that style of tank. I have a '41 Huffman with that style of tank that I need to restore. Unfortunately it was painted red with house paint a long time ago.

This build turned out great! 8)

Terry66 said:
Onewheelsqueel said:
Doesn't that Elgin take a "long" tank that extends back behind the seatpost? I love that style of tank. I have a '41 Huffman with that style of tank that I need to restore. Unfortunately it was painted red with house paint a long time ago.

Yes, I love the look of em as well, and I dont have a tank bike right now, really wanted a tanker/springer bike but the fender over fork style is so cool it sorta beats a springer in a few ways, though wont ever ride as nice. lol.

Speaking of springers, I've decided this bike needs more bling in the front to balance it out. The black wheels, black fork, black frame just kind of blends in. I'm pulling off the fork/truss combo and going with either a beehive or a Roadmaster. Its a pity because this Huffman fork and truss set is really nice....look for it in the "for sale" forum soon!

The bad thing is that I don't have a kickstand! In all the junk I have and as many old kickstands that I have tossed, I just realized I don't one. Off to the "wanted" thread.... :roll:

Back