The Flat Landers of Ayer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FL-06.jpg

I'm not done adding tubes to this, the top looks too bare so I'll add another below the top tube to fill it in. Scavenged a Schwinn Breeze for the bottom bracket and chain guard along with the coaster brake that I'll relace to this bikes rear rim.

FL-05.jpg

I did some fancy birds mouth work and was a little too eager with the filing and jabbed my finger into my work. My Dad always said you got to have a good bleed once in a while to keep you honest. That will makes me over qualified to run for office :wink: .

GL

WOW! That changes the look of that bike completely.....100% improvement.

Keeping it simple...Don't have as much "junk" as I used to have. Gave the fork a little bend. That's as far as I could go with out hitting the top. I found my squirrel seat, and I found a fender off of my Footbike (scooter).
Have to fab a seat post. I want it set back, just a little bit.

Fork before
005-24.jpg

Fork after
004_zps30bb21b0.jpg

Found some more junk today. It seems that when ever I bought things, it's in multiples. Found a new light, a new shorty front fender (bought a box of them for $5), a new set of white tires (the ones on are pretty worn), and another Miller Lite underwear canister.....I'm done for a few weeks. Anybody else "starting" a build?

006_zpsc961a871.jpg

That's looking like a Kota bike for sure. Is it gonna have gears or be a SS?

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
That's looking like a Kota bike for sure. Is it gonna have gears or be a SS?

That's looking like a Kota bike for sure...Not sure that's always a good thing. :lol:

It's going to be a 27" alloy wheel with a single speed and coaster brake. Just have to figure out a comfortable gear ratio.

Nice Puch Kota. I don't think it has that Kota genetics......... you sure it's yours? :|

Gearing is a good question I'm toying with it here also. You go through the numbers and get an answer that doesn't mean a thing to me.
Right now I have a 46 tooth chain ring and an 18 tooth on the coaster hub running a 27x1 1/4 tire. :roll: and the closest gears that were on the original bike was 4th gear smaller chain ring ----39 and 17....... running 2.56 gear ratio new against 2.29 gear ratio on the 10 speed as it was.........ouch my brain hurts! Putting that into inches? I have to work on that...... ooo... ouch..... hurts!

Gl

Was thinking a 48t and an 18t. Not sure if that is to tall to start off with.

Ok let's try this. I downloaded two free apps on bike gears one was Bike Gears Lite and BikeGearsCal Lite, the second one I'm using.
I tried it with 48 and 18 and with my 27 by 1 1/4 with a cadence of 60 and a 165 (6 1/2") crank length I got 12.4 mph
A 48 and 18 with the rest the same I got 12.97 mph.

Still is this a comfy speed on the flats and slight hills? Anybody have some input on this have at it.

GL

Gear Inch formula: drive wheel diameter multiplied by crank tooth number divided by drive cog gear tooth number

For example: 26” wheel diameter X 42 tooth crank ÷ by drive cog tooth number = Gear Inch or
26 × 42 ÷ 16 = 68.25 Gear Inches or GI

This is a favorable gear inch number for flatlanding a singlespeed or fixed gear bicycle.

Thanks for the input ZL. I worked that out to my gears and got 69 GI and Kota's worked out to 72 GI.
I have my Grunge Rudge to compare to and it works great on the Cape Cod Rail Trail. When I get some day light and some time I'll calculate that out and see what I come up with. I'm so glad I didn't doze off in math class now.

Gl

Graylock said:
Thanks for the input ZL. I worked that out to my gears and got 69 GI and Kota's worked out to 72 GI.
I have my Grunge Rudge to compare to and it works great on the Cape Cod Rail Trail. When I get some day light and some time I'll calculate that out and see what I come up with. I'm so glad I didn't doze off in math class now.

Gl
zzzzzzzz..ZZZZZZZZ...HUH...What did you say?

Hi GL, this Gear Inch Calculator has been helpful in the past for gearing my bicycles here in the hills!

We need to arrange for a Rat ride on the Cape Cod Trail; I rode it from Denis to Wellfleet years ago and enjoyed it thoroughly!

Hay Larry, WAKE-UP!!! :wink:

Now that would be cool lot's of places to stop at I can host that but unfortunately traffic is the pits and you would really have to deal with it, up to you, but the Cape Cod Canal has a trail with nice views that is easy to get to and about 50 miles closer to you guys. I'm up for that any time. If anyone cares to ride any of our trails I'd be glad to take a day off if I had to durring the week just for the ride.

Nice calculator ZL, I put it in my favorites........... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....hey quiet, Kota's asleep at the keyboard again

GL

My entry for the flatlander ride:

Peugeot Equipe c.1985ish
AyerFlatlander003.jpg

The wrenching starts today, no vision yet.

Nice choice, Jose'. The lack of vision? You've been reading my post, I suddenly realized I have no vision either. Graylock's has the vision.....I might change mine up some, we have almost a year.

OneHorsePower: Do it! And join us.

Latest posts

Back