The Flat Landers of Ayer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry, it’s a good thing we do have a year before the ride; some thoughts include a banana seat, early BMX bars, a flip-flop fixie hub, wood somewhere, music? – everything is on the table!

GL, would it be reasonable to have a ride on the trails there during the “off season”, if so, then when? Looking forward to riding on The Cape again; would any of yous guys be up to this for sometime this month or early spring?

If there is enough interest for a ride this month, I’ll start a new thread in the Events forum.

Yeah we can do that ZL. Didn't mean to scare anyone with the traffic and all but Summer has traffic in one continuous line from one end of the Cape to the other, thats why I travel about elsewhere in New England to get away from it. Can't wait to leave and can't wait to get back..... so weird.
I just need some sort of idea what your looking for a ride....... long ............ short ............beach........... food......... it's here somewhere this Fall or in the Spring.
Ssssoooooo.......... getting back to the gears I think 46ish+ and an 18ish is a good starting point. I'm going to check my stash and see if I can find a smaller rear sprocket. Fortunately my LBS has a box or two of odd bike stuff I can sift through. Also going through the reading list KZ put up (thanks KZ) I think I'll look to upgrade to aluminum rims from my stash, it seems that the wieght loss in the spinning wheel department is a vast improvement over the stupid Schwinn rims (did I say that out loud?) but they are.... you know, stupid heavy! What the heck, I have to lace up the rear wheel and might as well lace up something lighter.

KOTA said:
006_zpsc961a871.jpg

I like that rear under seat bag...... mini beer keg? Is that the one boxer shorts came in? You did take them out........ right? :lol: What a good idea 8) Have you named that bike yet. I vote for the Silver Bullet.

GL

Not to stir the pot, BUT is a 2 speed kickback considered a single speed in this build? it has no cables. just thinking out loud.

KZ1000 said:
Not to stir the pot, BUT is a 2 speed kickback considered a single speed in this build? it has no cables. just thinking out loud.
UH..You mentioned that if I needed any parts, to let you know....Was wondering if ya had a "2 speed kickback"? :roll: .. :lol:

I'm not sure, Jackdaw, he just leans into it and it just comes out like that. Always comes out flat that way, never mobius. It goes out the other end in several shorter strands and leaves them under bushes. He's good that way.

:roll:

Nice ............. keep it up ZL. I had hoped to work on mine this weekend. I got to agressive with my pipe bender and broke it so I might have to do a little rat bending. That might require a photo shoot.
I found my rims to lace the coasterbrake on and with calculaters and such I have determined I need 300mm spokes. I'm loose in Orleans tommorow and I'll stop in at Idle Times Bike shop to see how much this will set me back. They have in the past let me take their spoke threader home to make custom spokes out of old longer spokes. I can always go that route.
I :shock: have come up with yet another scheme for my paint on this bike, I have several. I'll get to that when the bike is rolling..........

GL

Now it's starting to look a "little" like a Zygote"Little" bike ( we all have our trademarks.) :wink: I took the flipped bars off of mine. I'm getting way to old for that. I tried swinging my leg over to get on. Funny I don't remember the bike being that tall.

GL, I have thousands of spokes new in the boxes, you guys can have what you need to use for the shipping or free if hand delivered.

I was feeling left behind because a few of you have already begun and almost finished your build with just a short 12 months to go. So I rummaged thru my scrap pile today and came up with a few items I may use.

FlatlanderBuild001.jpg

NICE parts pile!...Sure beats the crap out of my "scooter" fender. :lol:

Nice foundation to build upon!

Back