The Flat Landers of Ayer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KZ1000 said:
I was feeling left behind because a few of you have already begun and almost finished your build with just a short 12 months to go. So I rummaged thru my scrap pile today and came up with a few items I may use.

FlatlanderBuild001.jpg

Looks like a hit KZ, be cautious, it will be 11 months soon, you don't want to stress.

Little_Will said:
That is a VERY nice scrap pile. I wish I had that sort of scrap lying around, I love those truss frames!

Will

You guy's in the UK should have a ton of these bikes hanging about. You should band together and make up a bunch of these Flat Landers and ride them the same day we have our ride in the States. You can call the ride " The Flat Landers of _____?_____ " You can run a thread and link it to ours.

Graylock said:
Little_Will said:
That is a VERY nice scrap pile. I wish I had that sort of scrap lying around, I love those truss frames!

Will

You guy's in the UK should have a ton of these bikes hanging about. You should band together and make up a bunch of these Flat Landers and ride them the same day we have our ride in the States. You can call the ride " The Flat Landers of _____?_____ " You can run a thread and link it to ours.

That's a nice idea :)

Will

With the ride starting at about 0900hr Eastern Daylight Savings Time it would start there in England at 1300hr Greenwich Mean Time. Just say’n :wink: It would be cool to have our respective rides on the same day. And what is also cool about it is that it’s in keeping with the spirit of Rat Roding. Nice idea, GL, take care, Will.

Last weekend I rode The Grunge Rudge into town for a uke workshop at The Old Fire House. Spent the whole weekend enjoying life. I'm back now so I did a little more work on the Flat Lander bike. I laced the Bendix Coaster Brake hub to a 27" rim and threw some treads on and took it for a ride. Handles real well and the gearing is mostly what I expected. I still may try a smaller sprocket on the Bendix just to see the difference.

FL-07.jpg

FL-08.jpg

FL-09.jpg

FL-10.jpg

FL-11.jpg

Graylock

That looks awesome Graylock. Very graceful, and a great use for an otherwise not so useful frame. I'm really feeling the heat now that we only have 11 months left, I've spent the last month deciding where the RRB decal will go.

Nicely done GL, nicely done!

There is something special about building a “big wheeled” bicycle to this box-rule. They are simple, clean – pure really, in that all we have to do is pedal and go.

I have some more ideas. The drawing was layered backwards and I wished I had drawn the fenders in first so that I could have played around with the lower top tube. Too lazy to redraw it.

FL-nextidea.jpg

I still don't know where I'm going to put the RRB decal but I'll figure out that when I get one.

GL

Thanks......... oh and I forgot to mention (before certain buddies ripped me apart) that the seat is a temp, it was already attatched to the only seat post that would fit. Seems the one that was on it was a size smaller than it should have been. I think I'll go work on the fenders today. Maybe.

GL

hey! i finally decided to join you guys with a a road bike build , iam to far to join you guys for the ride , but i does not mater ...
This is what i start with
simbike.jpg

and this is my plan
Singlespeedvintage.jpg

i wont use this color tho
Last day my chain broke in a beast acceleration , and i heart my self so bad i throw the bike on a pole :? now i have to replace the bent top tube, but for the better
also my chromoly fork was to flexible , so i already Made/added aluminum truss rods ,that also link to the V-brakes pins , so every thing is stiffen-up well :mrgreen:
ill post pictures tomorrow

Graylock said:
I have some more ideas. The drawing was layered backwards and I wished I had drawn the fenders in first so that I could have played around with the lower top tube. Too lazy to redraw it.

FL-nextidea.jpg

I still don't know where I'm going to put the RRB decal but I'll figure out that when I get one.

GL

that is going to look nice ! with a tank it would look close to this :)
20indy.jpg

OneHorsePower said:
hey! i finally decided to join you guys with a a road bike build , iam to far to join you guys for the ride , but it does not mater ...
and this is my plan
Singlespeedvintage.jpg

Very stylish, I love what you are doing with the top bars. It's easy to do if you have the the time to be careful. Me?......... I'm not slow and I'm not fast.......... I'm half fast......... :shock: .
I did a build a while back that I experimented with the seat stay bends and with it I did the fork truss. I used rods off of discarded beach chairs that I banged straight and welded it directly to the forks. I threaded the rods and capped it with acorn nuts.
Tyler%20Build-16.jpg

TB-13sm.jpg

TB-19sm.jpg

Tyler%20Build-12.jpg

The entire bike has been painted olive drab and I made some stencils that copied the truck stencils that my Dad drove onto the beach at Normandy durring WW2. When I paint my flat lander I'll do those stencils at the same time while my heads in the paint.

Graylock

nice , always wanted to have a "all in one" trussbars/fork , just like true boardtrackracers
here is mine
DSCN4813.jpg

DSCN4814.jpg

DSCN4816.jpg

DSCN4817.jpg

DSCN4815.jpg

it look kinda weird on this fork/bike , but iam confident that with the new top tube and everything painted up it will look sweet

Back