The Flat Landers of Ayer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to recover from the worse cold I've had in years, cough, cough....Graylock, your bike looks killer...I especially like the seat. :roll:

OneHorsePower, nice start...Ya got almost a whole year to save up to get here.

today i went buying a 1" thin wall tube at the hardware store .. 17$ for 3 feet :? and try to make a curve in it with heat and a pulley... it folded, then cracked :cry: 17$ to the trash grrr i dont know what iam gonna do now

There has been good progress made in the last two weeks on the flatlander – hopefully, I will post some pics early next week.

:idea:
KZ1000 said:
Not to stir the pot, BUT is a 2 speed kickback considered a single speed in this build? it has no cables. just thinking out loud.

:arrow: Thank you for the 8) inspiration, KZ :!:

oups .. i think i missed the part in the 1st post were it says "coaster brake" "no cables and and levers" :?

Well, the Ayer Flatlander is finished and I named it Equipe d’Ayer (Team Ayer). I’ll post pics tomorrow, but first, I want to thank you Rick (KZ1000), for the 2-speed kickback hub idea – it was test ridden today for about 6-miles and worked flawlessly! I’ll post details.

Equipe d’Ayer
Ayerbike002.jpg

This bike is simple and fun to ride – a throwback to a time when riding without complicating distractions such as cabling, derailres and shifters came into play.

The parts list: crank is a 52T with the small ring removed from a Schwinn Le Tour; the original front wheel and hub; single speed chain; a Sturmey-Archer S2C 2-speed Duomatic kick-shift hub w/23T cog laced onto an aluminum hoop (custom lacing was done by the local bicycle shop ace mechanic Todd); tires are 700x23c pressurized to 75psi front and rear; mustache handle bar inverted and left naked; banana seat w/BFK Schwinn sissy bar; pedals with Old School clips for stability and finally – the frame, gooseneck and fork were left as found when given to me by my son and his wife when it was rescued from the dump – there are just too many character marks on her to cover-up all that history with a fresh coat of paint Wabi-sabi – she is what she is and that is more than good enough for me; in other words, I love her warts and all.

Peace GL, and thanks for the inspiration to build her.

How's the 52x23 gearing? I'm building a 52x22 right now and am hoping its not too tough.

With the 52X23 gearing and 700X23c tires she develops 64.29GI add the 138percent increase with the kickback and the high gear development comes out to 88.72GI. Easy pedaling on flat ground and up soft rolling hills, all this is aided by the low rolling resistance nature provided by the high-pressure 700X23 tires.

You should have no problems pulling your set-up. 8)

Nice ZL, I've been looking at those SA S2C hubs, couldn't find the blue banded Bendix. So what do you think about those hubs..... are they going to make the cut? Also do they run #25 type chain ? I don't want change out the big ring.

So if you let me ride your bike do I have to wear gloves (with it's warts and all)?

I'm going up to Burlington VT in a few weeks I'll have to see what they have for hubs at "The Old Spokes Home" bike shop. I bought 1.75 white wall tires there for my Raleigh Twenty Folder I use on the bike trail. Maybe I can score some cool skinny tires there.

GL

Oops you posted just before me, Thanks for that update.

GL, the SA drive cog requires the use of a single speed chain; however, the big ring will have no problems with it. SA S2C hub has been rock solid, shifting is easy and the coaster brake modulates really nicely.

"The Old Spokes Home" in Burlington is one of my favorite bike shops anywhere! Let me know when you’ll be going up, perhaps we can hang-out there together for a little while. She’s is an excellent source for rare bikes and hard to find parts.

will you still accept me posting progress of my bike here even if i do have a brake lever and cable :roll:
i dismentle the frame and cut away unwanted cable brackets and stuff , sanded the tires slick and iam getting ready to change the top tube

Not sure what this means , i use to speak french so i don't understand all english expressions :?
well .. here is some progress pictures
DSCN4874.jpg

sanded tires to slicks
DSCN4873.jpg

lead emblem
DSCN4875.jpg

DSCN4877.jpg

Graylock said:

Man, I really love what you did with this diamond frame. It's a total transformation!!!

i finally decided to use a coaster brake , i already prep the parts for welding to make a BTR fork from a old-school fork :)

This is a good flat lander. I call it the Joey Mac special. It's a early or mid 70s Zebrakenko 10 speed that Joey gave me when he moved to Austin. I one-speeded it. 52x22 gearing seems ok.
vetesade.jpg

Back