What's the next build off going to be?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I know, "steampunk" is a type of style that reminds me of the stuff you would see in a H.G. Wells story... this is what I got from wikipedia:

Steampunk is a sub-genre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles, analog computers, or digital mechanical computers (such as Charles Babbage's Analytical engine); these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or with a presumption of functionality.

...Gaskills work is a great example of steampunk ratrod styling. :mrgreen:

A Steampunk Ratrod build would be definitely taking a huge step forward in the custom scene. Its certainly would push the limits of creativity up a few notches...it could possibly take off just like stretch cruisers and burritos :shock: :idea: and with the interest that was generated by Gaskills bike, I think we may have something :idea:

...I dont think there has been a mass build-off of steampunk themed bikes anywhere other than from a few individuals and artists.

how about going old skool and do it the way they did it on the biker build offs. two builders go head to head then we all vote. i am also down for a girl's bike build off i mean i am sure most of us have an extra ladie's frame laying around. but really i sorta liked it more in the old days when we did one build off a year. otherwise you end up having at least two contests each year and just when everyone is done with the main build off hear comes another. now sure you could take the second off (like i did) or a year off (i ain't entering this year, there i said it and i mean it this time) but for me at least build offs are stressfull. the last one i had a lot of fun with actually which was a change for me i personally but every last ounce of myself into build off bikes and i am not the only one for sure we all do. i guess what i am saying is like steve says "every day is a build off." in local areas for the most part there are shows to enter bikes for those who want to compete which brings me to another idea. what about an on line bicycle show?

I'd be up for a ladies bike build off. The wife's birthday is late March and I could use some motivation! I've got 4 unfinished project bikes in the basement.

A steampunk theme would be fun but to source those unique parts in the North East you need yard sales, and those are buried in snow right now!

Understandibly some of those who participated in the last build off may need a "break", some may not, many other members didn't join the last fray. There are some members who just dont stop creating (jealous). The build offs are volunary right? Just my opinion.

The "Official" build off won't happen again until April 2010.

Depending on what most people want, we can have another "Unofficial" build off like we did with the Anything Goes event.

I'll wait to see what people say in response to this thread. :wink:

Karfer...thats a great idea, maybe the builders can put their name under a category that they would like to participate in(klunker, burrito, tall, steampunk,traditional ratrod, girls, pennyfarthing :mrgreen: , ect...) and the powers-that-be(moderators or who-ever) can PAIR them up accordingly to experience and skill. All that needs to be done is to agree on the ground rules for a head-to head competition. There are so many different sub-genre out there that this would be a viable alternative to an all-out one sided build off that a handful of builder seem to consistently horde the votes...right Karfer :mrgreen:

...a person who likes building lowrider wouldn't have to wait for a lowrider buildoff or use up their energy and resources for a build thats not really their thing. :|

...heck, we might as well vote for other stuff like best paint job, pinstripping, best use of recycled functional/semi/non-functional stuff (ie. steampunk :lol: )

Rat Rod said:
Side Note: The powers that be want things to be extremely simple...ha ha. :lol:
:lol: :lol: I know, its very easy for me to say since I am not the one taking the time loading it on to the computer and working out the bugs :mrgreen:

No handicap factored in then?

Some of us just aren't as "skilled" as others. I usually apply a nice coat of paint only to drop the frame on the concrete before it's put together and the paint is all used up so there's none for touch up.

When I substitute a part, it works great until the very last part is added, then the whole bike won't work because of the substitute part. That's after I've wrecked the original part getting it off.

I also tend to get turned around occasionally. Working on a frame in a hurry, I put the drive sprocket and rear wheel on the wrong side and had a bike that only went in reverse. I even had the chain hooked up. A few friends were over, and I tried to put it right before they noticed. That didn't work either because the wrench slipped and landed on my foot. They came over to see what the cussing was about and noticed the sprocket on the wrong side right away. That was a couple years ago, but it still comes up in conversation.

I'd be all for a girl's bike buildoff, no frame mods allowed. It's a challenge to make those things look cool. :lol:

Before everyone gets too carried away...if I start one of these it's going to be a single theme build off...i.e. girl's bike, military bike, etc.

I just don't have the brain power or energy right now to try to keep track of who is competing against who in what category.

i dig the two builder idea because i think of it a bit like grudge match drag racing. and i hear ya about making silly mistakes when puting bikes together on the last one i started to put the crank in backwards because i had the frame on my upside down work stand. oh then there was the pinstriping the wrong side of the fork rockers but it all worked out in the end. but like steve said this site is probably complicated enough as well lol i see it from his end too.

bighit said:
we can work out the pairings based on skill between the people who want to enter. the entrants can lay their own rules, no pro paint, bolt on only, anything goes.
Sound pretty good...and also, the contestant can easily size up their opponent and decide for themselves whether or not to throw on the gloves or pass...brilliant :idea: :idea: :mrgreen: ...and like I said before, both will have to agree on the rules that they set themselves... :D no trophy, just an ego boost or battle scars( just like the schoolyard fights in 5th grade :mrgreen: )

Steve...by no means will this replace the Grand daddy of builds(RRBB), but just an undercard fight for builders with more time and energy, and for people who want to watch a good head to head build off...(or pick their brains for ideas and solution) :shock:

So does this mean that you are volunteering to do all of the organizing, handle the voting, PMs from people complaining, etc? :mrgreen:

It all still makes my brain hurt....ha ha.

We have a saying around here....every day is a build off. :wink:

bighit said:
Rat Rod said:
So does this mean that you are volunteering to do all of the organizing, handle the voting, PMs from people complaining, etc? :mrgreen:
i am a retired Police Officer with all day to do nothing. I can handle it point on this.
YAY!!!! that is why you are "BIGHIT" :lol: :mrgreen:

Steve...I think you knew this day will come sooner or later, after building a successful web site...it has to grow :lol: (daddy's little girl is starting to date) :lol:

on a related note: I really want to see Karfer go against Gaskill !!!! that would be epic!!!

Back