When does the build off start?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk about chomping at the bit!

Parts have been stumbling thru the door all winter and since this may be my only full build this year, I too am getting anxious to get started.

So please everybody, take a deep breath and relax, you only got 6 weeks to wait.

And Cartman, don't go freezin' yourself. :)

Looks like I'm building a RAT :mrgreen: Harley-Davidson style :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

deorman said:
The usual rules are

1. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
2. Start a new post and use the bike name as the Subject.
3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure
(grinding off fender tabs and cutting seat tube height is okay, just no major frame design changes).
4. Bike must not already be built.
5. Must include before, progress, and after photos (all in one thread please)
6. Bike must be ridable.
7. Use any parts you like....mo rat = mo bettah!
8. Parts can be attached any way you wish (includes welding).
9. Paint must be applied by builder.
10. Don't ask a bunch of goofy questions trying to get around the rules...just build a cool bike.
11. KEEP IT CHEAP...remember...IT'S A RAT ROD!!!!

Trying not to ask a goofy question but would removing a brake bridge and pulling the stays open a little count as major frame design change or is that allowed?

outskirtscustoms said:
Trying not to ask a goofy question but would removing a brake bridge and pulling the stays open a little count as major frame design change or is that allowed?

This could use some clarification as this is one of the shadiest areas of the contest.

What I'd like to see is something like this......

" Lay your frame on the ground, draw an outline around it. If the frame fits in the outline when your done with it, it's good to go."
This would mean you could add tubes to it, or cut brake bridges, or kicstand mounts, etc. Missing tubes (sounds major to me)would show up quickly.

We should probably save most of this for the RRBO 6 discussion thread.

outskirtscustoms said:
deorman said:
3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure
(grinding off fender tabs and cutting seat tube height is okay, just no major frame design changes).

Cutting the brake bridge would be considered major.

JoKeR63 said:
outskirtscustoms said:

This could use some clarification as this is one of the shadiest areas of the contest.

What I'd like to see is something like this......

" Lay your frame on the ground, draw an outline around it. If the frame fits in the outline when your done with it, it's good to go."
This would mean you could add tubes to it, or cut brake bridges, or kicstand mounts, etc. Missing tubes (sounds major to me)would show up quickly.

We should probably save most of this for the RRBO 6 discussion thread.

Okay, It won't be a big mod but just enough to need a little space. I could probably achieve the same thing with a bell peen hammer and just make a dimple. but I don't like the look of the brake bridge and it rubs so it has to go. The frame will still remain the same otherwise.

That's why I mentioned the archives, you can see not only modified parts, but a lot of completely non-bicycle "parts". Of course, Steve could always go with a theme or "anything goes" build, and the info I've provided would be worthless. :mrgreen:

bean said:
Bendix said:
Rat Rod said:
Yep...usually close to May 1st and runs until August 1st.

Get your parts collection in order! :mrgreen:

i'd been looking for a frame that i could modify to take a 24x3 rear, found out i already had one that works as-is, sitting right under my nose :shock: perfect timing! lookin' forward to the part i like best- the process, with all the build journals and photos. it's hard to just gather without actually starting though...... :D

Pretty sure a few members had the same problem last year :wink:

if the 'patch' doesn't work i'm trying hypnosis............ :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looks like I'm building a RAT :mrgreen: Harley-Davidson style :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I got a west coast chopper gas tank if you need one..... :mrgreen: Need to build up funds for the build off.

got a frame, a fork, wheels and gathering parts i am in this year.

I've been waiting for the build off as motivation, I've got ideas in my head and parts scattered about. When can we look for an official opening thread?

yoothgeye said:
I've been waiting for the build off as motivation, I've got ideas in my head and parts scattered about. When can we look for an official opening thread?
that would be on may 1st! :wink: this is shaping up to be the official "pre-official" thread. :lol: 6 weeks from now this thread will be 20 pages deep easily! :D

I'm actually really stoked about this. Not planning to win, just to participate and finish will be enough for me.

Is there a "anything goes" build coming up anytime soon? I love watching the build offs but I have to modify bikes,its what I do.
-Kreep-

Back