When does the build off start?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually the start of the build off is our first 90 degree day, and it's even hotter in the garage. The wife dreads it, because I'll have bike parts and tools in the house again.

2lsuv7p.jpg

2w239tu.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
I got parts, ideas, frames, forks, redneck ingenuity, and I can't wait to use them all. :mrgreen:

Ditto for me! Already warned my patient and long suffering wife that I'm in it to win it. :wink:

Now I gotta get all my other projects completed before May.

OK, shhhh... Don't tell anyone we are discussing this, but about the stock frame rule, I'm betting this rule is to keep out stretches and radical customs, so a frame should be stock so that the bike remains as it was intended. What if I weld an additional top bar into a diamond frame for the look of a tank frame? The extra bar is like an accessory and the rules say I can weld parts to the frame, so is this legal?

I did the same thing, every idea I ever came up with had already been done.

Except for one. Now I can rest easy. Until the start of this year's build off!

15o9ter.jpg

This is the first year I actually have parts ready for the build-off :)

I have a frame, all the parts and a direction I want to go in... Problem is that I REALLY, REALLY want to build it up now. I'm so used to being in Toronto where the winter keeps the build-fever at bay whereas living in Vancouver I have pretty much 365 days a year to ride in.

MUST FIGHT THE URGE TO BUILD

Well, if I break, I can always redo my Gas Pipe Special build...

bighit said:
I have everything ready to go to defend....and then i fell down the stairs. Tore my Medial Collateral Ligament in my knee and Rotator Cuff. Yep stepped off and right to the bottom i went.

I think you should be able to build a bike while sitting down. Or maybe you can get special dispensation to start with a wheelchair, instead?

that sucks sounds like the first build off where i entered then was takken out when a tool box fell on my shin at work. that was it for me
but i am back this year after taking a year off

karfer67 said:
that sucks sounds like the first build off where i entered then was takken out when a tool box fell on my shin at work. that was it for me
but i am back this year after taking a year off
If your entering.....then who is making the trophy? :wink:

Count me in.

Last year I could not get hold of a decent frame and besides... I didn't had the time for the build-off anyway because of work. Heck, I wasn't even able to check out all of the forum and the builds on a regular basis...

Anyway, A couple of months ago I found a neglected 26" ATB-citybike in the dumpster at work. I unbolted the locked but trashed backwheel and took the bike home. I still don't have a clue of how I'm going to build this one up though. I always have ideas floating around in my head and I'll just see what I shall come up with when the build-off starts. I do have some 'fat' Electra tires waiting for a 26" build for some years now... 1 whitewall and 1 whiteline, but I don't have decent rims/hubs yet. And yesterday I discovered that 28" wheels will fit the 26" bike perfectly...

Straightframe Ratrod or Highspeed Hotrod?
What to do, what to do...

Edit 1: I hope to win. That's what contests are for... 8)

Edit 2: ...but ofcourse, I know I won't... :wink:

Good to hear, Bighit. I've got a couple of frames lying around that I have ideas for, and some ideas for the project. My problem is that I'm not sure whether to go with a straight-up build, or maybe incorporate some "theme" elements...

EDIT: Ordered a pair of wheels, pulled a fork from another project, and decided which frame I'm going to use. There, I'm committed, now!

Back