Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Jimmy the Gent

Oxidation removal...

I have a question regarding this, but first a pic: ...about halfway down - sorry for quality - is a spot where there was a decal, but now there's nothing but the original paint in all its' glory. It's below where the Schwinn decal once was (which you can still see the ghost-image of) . My...
  2. Jimmy the Gent

Can this be fixed or saved?

It's an S-2 .The tape marks where it's starting to split from where the bead of the tire rests. The tire still stays in place....and holds air. It doesn't need to be perfect in terms of appearance,just function.....until I can afford a replacement... So.....can it?
  3. Jimmy the Gent

Sissy bar failure....

1. Ten-foot piece of conduit - check 2.- Sand to fill it with so it won't kink - check 3. Satisfactory place to bend it for the proper fit and look ( a support pole on a building near home) - check It kinked...badly. So; what did I do wrong?
  4. Jimmy the Gent

I'm at my wits' end...

I'm rebuilding a hub; as shown here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53878 (Actually; "rebuilding" is misleading, more like re-assembling) I have followed the steps to the letter; and I still can't seem to get it right. If I adjust it so there's no play; it drags...
  5. Jimmy the Gent

Rim problem..

I'm putting a like-new S-7 rear rim with a coaster brake on my bike; and I ran into a problem: The chain is way too loose. After a quick count of the teeth on the cog/gear in both the old rim and the new one; it appears that the S-7's cog has fewer teeth. My question is... can I just swap the...
  6. Jimmy the Gent

I got a camera for Christmas....

...so; here they are:pics of my '75 Sting-Ray.. Here's what she looked like when I got her: ...and here's what she looks like now: I'm not done yet; not even close, but I just wanted to share my progress so far. (That's why I posted this in the "Builds" section 8) ). I've...
  7. Jimmy the Gent

I know what the bike is, but....

I have no idea what the front rim is. The bike in question is a '75 Sting Ray; but there's two reasons why I'm led to believe the rim on the front is incorrect: -It doesn't have any markings on it that I can find. ......and the kicker -It's got a 20x2.125 tire on it. At a glance; it...
  8. Jimmy the Gent

Springer fork truss rods question(s)..

...don't worry; I only have three :mrgreen: : I have a Springer fork from a Krate, and the truss rods are evenly bent. 1. What's the best way to bend them back to straight? The forks themselves are fine. 2. Can I remove the rods one at a time, and not remove the whole fork? 3.Can I...
  9. Jimmy the Gent

Schwinn kickstand removal--no special tool method.

Perfect!!!! Now,all I need is a new pin. 8)
  10. Jimmy the Gent

"Aging" a seat

Problem 1:Bought and installed a repo banana seat. Bike is "Flamboyant Red" (Dark) Problem 2: Seat is a bright red glitter. I like the glitter; but the seat is more of a bright red than I like. As of now, it's carefully covered in black electrical tape. It looks okay,but....... Question: Is...
  11. Jimmy the Gent

Krate conversion/suggestions...

For starters; here's a pic of the bike when I got it: (That's from the CL ad) It's a '75 Sting-Ray, single-speed with a coaster brake. I've managed to get about 85-90% of the rust off, re-adjust (and re-grease) the handlebars, and improvise a seat. The seat pan is rusted beyond hope,but with...
  12. Jimmy the Gent

Two quick questions...

I'm working on a Sting-Ray,and I have a couple quick questions: 1.-I had some trouble with handlebar adjustment. Specifically; they were stuck. I initially removed the bolt to adjust the height,and sprayed some old reliable (WD-40) and let it soak. I then (stupidly) got impatient and tapped the...
  13. Jimmy the Gent

Please allow me to...

...introduce myself. My name is Jimmy the Gent ;and I was raised in Silver Spring, Maryland. I currently live in Baltimore. I just registered here two days ago,and I have a somewhat long-winded reason-but I'll keep it short: I decided recently that I wanted to start riding a bike again.I also...
Back