Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. A

Front Fork Disc Brake Adapter Issues (for bikes w/o brakes)

some brake calipers have an adaptor thats marked, 160, 180. So you take the shaped alloy part, thats bolted between the caliper and the fork, or in your case, the bracket on the fork. And turn it round. Might not work. Worth a try tho
  2. A

New Walmart Fat Tire Bike coming in a couple weeks

SP286300B SP 28.6X300 STL BLACK SP-200 BAOHONG Im guessing that's the seat post. 28.6mm diameter by 300mm long And the next item SPC381B202 SPC 31.8 BLACK W/QR LK-202 Is a 31.8mm seat clamp, with a quick release.
  3. A

I just looked thru the list of parts that was posted on the FB group. There was a list of part numbers. copied straight from the FB page. 14t-24t rear and 28t front. Here is a copy of the original build sheet posted in an earlier thread.FO261055 FO 26X28.6X222 R D NAVY CS-9101R m DE HS801GS...
  4. A

I see there's close up pictures and tech specs on the Mongoose Fat Bikes facebook group. Frame and fork are steel. Looks like its got an alloy micro adjusting seat pin, and 32 spoke wheels. so that would save weight over a steel seat pin and 36 spoke wheels
  5. A

V Brakes posts for a Klunker

I used to have Weinmann Vanquier centre pull brakes on my Carlton Corsair racer. They were ok. Bike was about 10 years old when I had it in the late 80s. I had quite a lot of old bike parts. Had Weinmann, Shimano, and Mafac racer centre pull brakes. The Shimano ones didn't seem very well...
  6. A

How do I properly adjust my side-pull brake?

weinmann and other brakes of a similar style had different length axles. Its fairly easy to take parts from other manufacturers and build them up together. Weinmann being European will have a 6mm thread. Some brakes might not be metric, tho. Strumley Archer chrome steel brakes that are used...
  7. A

V Brakes posts for a Klunker

Those bolt on brake plates also use er jubilee clips to hold them onto the stays of the frame. I had one. It was like 4mm thick steel plate. very heavy. I would suggest, If you try the hack up an old steel suspension fork. Maybe cut the legs off the brake brace piece, a bit further down...
  8. A

WHAT GOT YOU INTO THE BIKE HOBBY

when I was a kid my dad had a load of stuff in various sheds in the yard and garden. There was a lot of old bikes, this was early 80s. My dad had rode old motorbikes, like Matchless and BSAs. He kinda got out of them before I was born. But there was still a BSA Bantam and a BSA B31, in bits...
  9. A

Hollow hub vs front hub

I used to go regulary to the scrapyard in town. I got a bike trailer that has ball bearing axles that have a sort of quick release on them. That cost me £5, about the price of a bike magazine. I built alloy rims onto the hubs and use the trailer when Im shopping. The hubs are a bit loose in...
  10. A

Fork #2

the saw motor giving sparks, sounds like the carbon brushes on the commutator are worn down. They aren't an expensive part, or difficult to change. Have you tried fitting the handlebar stem upside down, so bars ar lower, or would they hit the top links of the forks
  11. A

Saying Goodbye To The Bike Hobby

I used to get bikes to do upto sell. there was an auction house in the nearby town. I would go there every Friday to the general auction. would get bikes for a few £s. Also would get 8 bit computers. then get them home and sort them up. occassionly change parts I wanted to keep. Then put...
  12. A

Newer three peice cranks in an old cruser

I think the only advantage would be for looks. A modern alloy or carbonfibre crank would be lighter. But then the frame will still be very heavy, and the bike probably only used to cruise about. Not long distance racing
  13. A

A couple mechanical issues that are stumping me

get the bike stood up straight. go behind it....a few feet back. look at the derailleur. Is it hanging straight down? It could have got knocked and bent slightly. If so you could tighten up an adjustable wrench onto the derailleur claw part, just blow the wheel axle. then use that to...
  14. A

1" fork in 1 1/8th headtube?

I got an Alloy Y frame, it had headset cups in it, but no forks. I fitted 1" threaded forks in there. Using bearing clips and top bearing cap bit that was in my box of bits. And the lower cone bit that was on the forks. It seemed to work. No rocking. But I didn't get round to riding it. I...
  15. A

HELP! putting a disc on a non disk hub...

I got a complete mountain bike from the scrap yard for £5. Its a Sabre. Has front and rear disc brakes. 24" wheels with painted alloy rims. Both wheels have that screw on disc mount adaptor. black steel hub with silver alloy adaptor, 36 spoke built tangently, not radial tho. The rear...
  16. A

another new tyre size

http://dirt.mpora.com/uncategorized/solid-strike-27-5.html Theres a 27.5" tyre size getting made for racing mountain bikes. I wonder when people will start putting them on customised bikes. Tho I geuss the tyres will be knobbly dirt tyres, not smoother street tyres. And will be expensive
  17. A

“Miss Fit” – Café Racer?

I built a chopper bike that was a roadster frame with a tube extended out the back of the seat cluster, and extra seat stays from the drop outs to end of tube, sort of short sissy bar. I made a seat, out of a bit of wood and a bit of foam and a sleeve from a leather jacket. sort of like a...
  18. A

is it a clunk or a creak :P

you can straighten chainrings. put the bike upside down and turn the cranks. looking at where the chainring goes past the chainstay. use some kind of lever tool, against the chainstay to pull out the chain ring from the wheel. or tap it with a hammer to push it in. It might be that the...
  19. A

?? for the fat-tire Schwinn Varsity enthusiasts out there:

maybe make a groove in the chainstays, with a coal chisel, like you see on a lot of bikes, for extra clearance
  20. A

LTJ's fresh finds: Vintage looptail BMX!

[/url this is the only online photo I can find of the Puch Minisprint. Its second from left. From left its, Raleigh Grifter, modded with longer seat tube, alloy cranks, alloy wheels, shortened headstock to take Raliegh Max MTB forks, BMX bars in MTB stem, Weimmann centrepull rear brake on...
Back