"DRIVESHAFT"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "DRIVESHAFT"~ Having Springer Fits

Critter1 said:
If it was me.. I'd cut the steer tube on the fork and weld on a doner tube from a different fork at the correct length. Its plenty strong enough if done properly.I've done a few times. Its not like you'll be taking off any sweet jumps. :)
CIMG1775R.jpg

Thats a beautiful "how to" photo---thanks! However, I am not a welder so I'll have to consider alternatives.

VonFink said:
Critter1 said:
If it was me.. I'd cut the steer tube on the fork and weld on a doner tube from a different fork at the correct length. Its plenty strong enough if done properly.I've done a few times. Its not like you'll be taking off any sweet jumps. :)
CIMG1775R.jpg

CIMG1776R.jpg

Thats a beautiful "how to" photo---thanks! However, I am not a welder so I'll have to consider alternatives.
You live in the city of steel 8) You can get all the prep work done and take it down the road to a welder for a few bucks and get it welded up... maybe even tig welded. If you cut the steer tube of the frame, your stuck with it. If you do the fork steer tube trick, it can be done again and again to your liking...

kingfish254 said:
Love that tail light. You need to look at the bikes from BO6. I am drawing a blank on which build it was, but someone did a wicked job of shortening and reusing one of those. It looked incredible.
Ahhh good memory KF. It was Bean's "Bareknuckle Brawler" -

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39628&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=brawler&start=105

bean said:
I've been trying to work out a tail light for this bike for a while and couldn't really come up with anything I was happy with. I pulled the kustom Caddy light off last years bike "Krusty Kargo" and tried it..........still didn't look quite right mounted on the rear axle and made the left side of the bike look too "busy" with the light, license plate and coaster arm mount all in the same vicinity.

I modified the light a bit more by cutting the lens down shorter and bending more angle into the bezel, then tried it in a few different spots on the frame. It looks best where the license plate mount is, so it's gonna go there and I'll ditch the plate.

I also never got around to making it work for last year's build (ran out of time), so found a rear bike light that fit inside everything, then cut and filed the lens to fit.

I didn't want to use something that I'd used in a previous RRBBO, but I think this will suit this bike and I'm running out of time to try and find something else.

Repop 58 Caddy tail light
Taillight.jpg

Cut the lens
IMGA0738.jpg

Bending the bezel
IMGA0741-1.jpg

As it looked for RRBBO5
IMGA0743.jpg

Bent the bezel more and cut the lens shorter
DSCF1617-1.jpg

Bike light held in place with hot glue for trial fitting (now screwed in)
DSCF1615-1.jpg

Man it's bright!!
DSCF1619-1.jpg

My buddy Colin does steering tube replacement pretty frequently. http://www.haulincolin.com/ I would absolutely vouch for him and his work. If you give him a call I'm pretty sure you could ship it to him along with a return shipping sticker and he'd turn it around quickly for you. He does extensions to do bike trucks and stacked frames etc for a lot of bikes.

This repair seems to be pretty common and a lot less risky than the frame modification. Love this bike btw and hope you put the disk on the back.

Sorry, internet was out half the day, I missed this one, here is my steer tube shortening guide, also used for lengthening (like on all my tall bikes):

fork_mod.jpg

I cut the bottom of the head tube on my Bad Apple build to fit the springer I already had. Just used a sawzall with a good new blade & a steady hand! Then straightened (smoothed) it out with an angle grinder. Worked great!

Since the upper ball-bearing race nut WILL engage the fork and lock it in, I am really thinking that a stem extender might work perfectly to solve this. For the quill, shopping for something like this:

SoftrideStem.jpg

The trick will be how well the upper plate of the springer can be captured this way.

Cheers,
Tim

Did you have any luck with the fork??

I've been under the weather so couldn't accomplish much (cancer treatments). What I did do was buy a threaded to threadless adapter and a cool suspension stem. I'll see sometime this week if they work out

VonFink said:
I've been under the weather so couldn't accomplish much (cancer treatments). What I did do was buy a threaded to threadless adapter and a cool suspension stem. I'll see sometime this week if they work out

Best wishes with the treatment!!!! I didn't know. I saw that suspension stem and it looks pretty sweet.
Get to feeling better man. Your RRB Family is thinking of you.

Re: "DRIVESHAFT"~ To Be Continued

My health has just not been good enough to invest much energy in the build lately. It's clear that I will not finish before the deadline. Instead, I'll just cary this project forward, as best I can, as a personal build. Good luck to all!

Tim

Re: "DRIVESHAFT"~ To Be Continued

Best wishes to you Tim.
Hope you are feeling better soon!

Re: "DRIVESHAFT"~ Handlebar Mischief

Late additions: Handlebar Mischief.

One of our local Rat Rodders (Herman?) had a musclebike wheel with bar extensions on his bike. Exercising "the sincerest form of flattery," I am going to see how such a steering gizmo will suit "DRIVESHAFT". So this afternoon, off ebay, I purchased these:

T2eC16RHJFoE9nh6nwt1BQBY9ulg60_12-1.jpg

17251_1_Zoom.jpg

Yeah, I know. This won't get done for Build-Off #7, but I'll keep working on it!

Cheers,
Tim

Re: "DRIVESHAFT"~ Handlebar Mischief

This will be one sweet ride when its finished, hope your health improves much sooner than later...Keep on rollin... 8)

Re: "DRIVESHAFT"-----ADMIN: PLEASE MOVE TO BUILDS FORUM?

I had a car steering wheel last year on BEER RUN. It actually worked pretty well.
There were a few different muscle bike steering wheels back in the day.

IMG_2257.jpg

Latest posts

Back