"DRIVESHAFT"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dagnabbit! The Girvin fork's head tube max is 5" tall and the Sonoma's head tube is 7". So, the Girvin goes away for another day.

Hey Kingfish,

On my Girvin, the stem is integral. It kinda precludes just adding an extender to the fork tube (see below). I'd have to fab up a bunch of parts, and none of them would be within my modest capabilities.

P1050377.jpg

You know...DRIVESHAFT is just hitting me as a better name so I switched it back. It tells the story better and sounds catchier.

Photoshop Mock-up #1:

Driveshaft-S1.jpg

Here's the sort of decoration I am thinking of for the "tank":

Vents.jpg

Re: "DRIVESHAFT"~ Photoshop Mock-up #1

I would chop that head tube 1" off the top & 1" off the bottom then weld in a gusset on the back side of the head tube from the top bar to the bottom bar and make a nice swooping cut on the 1 side that does not get welded to make it look factory and strengthen it. The geometry of the frame will still be there. Its just a little weight reduction for racing!

Great idea. Sadly, I do not have the tools nor the skills to weld aluminum (or weld anything else for that matter).

Nice photoshop skills there von fink. Look forward it becoming a reality. You could take a stab at making your own springer. There are a number goin. You could do it with simple hand tools. I have a scroll saw and a drill press, but that is as extravagant as I've gotten on mine so far. (And I could have done it w/ a normal drill and a dremel or hand scroll saw. I brazed with a simple MAP torch. (which is like a cheap propane torch.)

Or you could come up with a simple truss rod set-up. Just to beef up the front end a bit. I've made one by bending a sissy bar before.

Also look up Matthews Girder forks. That would be a rad look for this bike if you can find one or make one similar.

I love the idea and uniqueness of this frameset. If the girvin is out, you have an opportunity to do some hand-fab beyond assembling parts. And that will take the bike to another level!

Make it so, Number 1.

I'll keep trying to dream up additional ideas for the fork. Thanks very kindly for your many encouragements!

dogdart said:
You could go with the Monark forks , but use your main fork , it may require some upper bracket fab , to get the right stance , but I could help .
100_0232-1.jpg

Another very interesting idea, thanks Dogdart. I fabbed up the bracket on that Columbia fork I traded to you (on the Western Flyer), so maybe that is something I could actually tackle (though the offer of help is most generous and reassuring). I think I'll see if there's anything cool at the Bike Swap meet at Craig's this weekend. I plan to bring stuff to sell. Will you be attending?

Cheers,
Tim

Peatbog said:
Kinda cool how that frame flows without a chain or sprocket or chainguard.

That's the funny thing about, I didn't even thing about the fact that they weren't there.
I do like the lines of this frame.

Re: "DRIVESHAFT"~ Having Springer Fits

Thanks to the bike swap meet at BICYCLE HEAVEN this last Sunday, I now have a vintage Monark springer front end for this build. This is the single spring style that somewhat resembles the Schwinn type springers. Trouble is, the new fork's tube is about 0.5" to 0.75" too short to work properly.

Solution (A): Cut off a small bit off the bottom of the head tube
But what tool to use? A tubing cutter hand-tool? I'd like to avoid this so...maybe plan (B)?

Solution (B): Threaded-to-Threadless adapter?
There's enough length so that the lowest nut that has the bearing race on it can grab and engage the fork tube. However, there's not enough of the fork tube to extend up past that. Not enough room to attach the top springer plate. Not enough to fit on that second (top) fork tube nut. I am wondering if this might be a candidate for one of those threaded-to-threadless adapter stems? It would mean I have to use a threadless quill with it but that might be a small sacrifice in order not to cut the head tube. Any thoughts?

Oh, one more thing. I always wanted a bike with one of the 57 Caddy tail lights. Mine just arrived in the mail.

caddytaillight.jpg

Angle grinder with a cutoff blade

Somewhere on the site, yoothgeye replied to someone with pictures of shortening and lengthening steering tubes.

If it was me.. I'd cut the steer tube on the fork and weld on a doner tube from a different fork at the correct length. Its plenty strong enough if done properly.I've done a few times. Its not like you'll be taking off any sweet jumps. :)
CIMG1775R.jpg

CIMG1776R.jpg

Love that tail light. You need to look at the bikes from BO6. I am drawing a blank on which build it was, but someone did a wicked job of shortening and reusing one of those. It looked incredible.

kingfish254 said:
Love that tail light. You need to look at the bikes from BO6. I am drawing a blank on which build it was, but someone did a wicked job of shortening and reusing one of those. It looked incredible.

I was imagining it might be mounted to a standard bicycle headlight housing. I am sure I can figure out something.

Back