"DRIVESHAFT"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will cost almost as much as the bike (yipes). I am also looking at other solutions, like a SPIN 4-spoke wheel. They are quite a bit cheaper.

Re: "DRIVESHAFT" becomes "RE-EVOLVER"

Make some old school mags with spoke wheels and aluminum foil.

Admittedly, this is more of a "Hot Rod" than "Rat" that I am going for. So aluminum foil mags...no so much
:roll: :D :D

VonFink said:
Admittedly, this is more of a "Hot Rod" than "Rat" that I am going for. So aluminum foil mags...no so much
:roll: :D :D

Maybe you could find some MAGnesium foil then. :p :mrgreen:

VonFink said:
On the hunt for a gently-used one of these:

Aerospoke.jpg

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/bi ... 52913.html

The bike arrived yesterday. I put it together this afternoon and did a test-drive.

P1050363.jpg

P1050367.jpg

P1050368.jpg

P1050369.jpg

P1050372.jpg

The gearing seems fine. The hub/freewheel "ticking" is loud, but I guess I'll get used to it. The bike has a very solid feel to it, and the shifting is smooth. Hopefully, I'll get time tomorrow to do a mock-up with the Girvin forks.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: "RE-EVOLVER"

That bike does have some nice lines to it.
The Girvin will be off the charts, but there is a cool smoothness to the lines on that factory fork. Not your typical fat beach cruiser fork.

I don't care for the factory paint job at all. It's not groovy enough for a beach cruiser---it's all slick and corporate. Again, the plan is to strip it off to bare aluminum (or maybe powdercoat silver).

Get this, the bike is NOT RECOMMENDED for use at the beach because you have to keep salt water & sand away from the drive. Yet the product is called a BEACH CRUISER! LOL~ no beaches here in Pittsburgh, so no worries for me.

kingfish254 said:
That bike does have some nice lines to it.
The Girvin will be off the charts, but there is a cool smoothness to the lines on that factory fork. Not your typical fat beach cruiser fork.

I am not confident how "right" the Girvin will look. We'll see tomorrow.

Tim

Yes, sending a build off bike off for powder coat or professional painting by someone other than the builder is a "NO NO".
Even though you don't have any beaches in Steeler country, you still need to watch out for that road salt! It rusts our cars faster than any salt air ever did. :p

Give the girvin a try and post some mock ups. I have to do mock ups galore before I decide on anything.

Thanks for the reminder on the powder-coating, guys, I appreciate it. And good to note regarding the road salt, I'll tuck that info away for winter.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Dogdart,

Sorry, I completely forgot there was a ride today---I hope yinz had a great time. I'll hope I'll see many of the Pittsburgh rats at Craig's for the Swap Meet next Sunday.

Cheers,
Tim

VonFink said:
Hi Dogdart,

Sorry, I completely forgot there was a ride today---I hope yinz had a great time. I'll hope I'll see many of the Pittsburgh rats at Craig's for the Swap Meet next Sunday.

Cheers,
Tim

"yinz" - That is a first. Growing up in Savannah and spending my summers in Carlisle, PA, I have heard "y'all", "youse", "youse guys", and "you uns" but I like "yinz" as an abbreviation of "you uns".
Gotta love the American English language!
GO USA!!! Yinz are awesome!!!

Back