"DRIVESHAFT"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I COULD NOT FINISH MY BO#7 BIKE BEFORE THE DEADLINE DUE TO
HEALTH ISSUES, BUT THE BUILD WILL CONTINUE HERE!

"DRIVESHAFT"

[edit]
Yesterday, I saw a Dodge Prowler in silver, parked along my "coffee route" and I realized that the Prowler did a pretty good job of embodying where I wanted to go with my bike build. The concept is a 1940's hot rod, updated to a 21st century aesthetic. Slick & futuristic but with an unmistakable retro feel. Following that sentiment, I am renaming the bike "RE-EVOLVER"~ a play on "revolver" vis a vis the revolving shaft drive, and the "evolution" of the tank bike. Plus, it's likely I have a name nobody has used yet.

Plymouth-Prowler.jpg

Name: was "DRIVESHAFT"
Style: Retro HotRod Bicycle
Components: Sonoma Chainless Cruiser, Girvin Forks, wheel covers [and just added] retro fender "train" light

Treatments:
• Strip & polish the Sonoma frame down to bare aluminum
• Polish up & restore Girvin fork
• Cover rear wheel: wheel covers from Cycles U.S. (already have) or a pair of Mooneyes (Ka-ching!)
• Front wheel maybe a polished alloy Tenny?
• Bars: maybe some NOS torrington type with the reinforcer crossbar?
• Fabricated "tank"
• Some interesting headlight + taillight solution
• Vanilla Fat Franks

81OU8s4ngyL_AA1500_.jpg

image003-1.jpg

02403.jpg

Let's see if I can/will actually do this...

Re: DRIVESHAFT

Well...it certainly has my attention. A little outside the box and that is a good thing. I like Girvins and the shaft drive seems interesting.

Looking forward to it....

Terry

Re: DRIVESHAFT

I like your plans. It's not late, a bunch of us are just getting started.
Petrohead hasn't even jumped in yet, but I know he will.

This is going to be a cool build to watch.

Re: DRIVESHAFT (Chainless!)

More parts/materials to consider~

Bought this fender light

FenderLight.jpg

Considering making a wood "tank" and covering it with this fake carbon fiber stuff:

493709974_o.jpg

Here are the bars I am looking at buying:

bar520a2.jpg

Carbon Fiber! :shock:

I really thought this was going to be another band tribute bike "Driveshaft" as seen in the TV show Lost.

Other than the logo, and the hit song, and maybe a fake album cover---there really isn't much to the LOST band to hang a bicycle on. However, there's always the possibility that the simplistic DS ring logo might make it onto the bike somehow.

VonFink said:
Other than the logo, and the hit song, and maybe a fake album cover---there really isn't much to the LOST band to hang a bicycle on. However, there's always the possibility that the simplistic DS ring logo might make it onto the bike somehow.

You All Everybody!

I found my muse:

Plymouth-Prowler.jpg

I see a lot that I'd like to emulate here: the shiny chrome wheels, the silver body, the contrast of the matte black rubber inserts & tires, the evil squint of the headlights & grill.

I am thinking about a Teny 26" aluminum "mag" wheel for the front. I have NEVER seen one of these either chromed, polished, or silver powder-coated---but that's the direction I want to go.

filer.gif

Too bad I cant do these "fore and aft" but I doubt I want to mess with the back wheel much due to the shaft drive fittings. Instead, I'll using plastic wheel covers. I think the wheel covers could be "chromed" using a chrome automotive shrink film.

Chrome-Silver-Car-Wrapping-Film.jpg

I am confident the plastic wheel covers can be "chromed" this way. Hmmm...I wonder if the Teny wheel could be chrome-filmed as well? Perhaps not, due to all the fairly acute angles...

Another thing I might want to explore is achieving the "rake' of the Plymouth Prowler. Maybe a springer fork and a 24" front wheel? Hard to get into this too much until the bike is delivered---hopefully some time next week.

Back