hand lever coaster brake?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't noticed or paid attention until now, but this thread just hit 3 pages.
A lot of conversation on this topic, that means I'm not the only crazy one here.

Keep your finger pointy at the others... i refuse acknowledge anything here but a rational discussion...

Hey 808 why wouldnt the concept you had reguard the dual sprokets u mentioned when i almost bought that terrible tandum for the hub... could only one be a freewheel and the inner the stock coaster sprocket? Youd loose the foot coaster but i guess youd be able hook up like that front has

Don't mean to belabor this but here's bike I had in mind. I had saved the image but I don't remember who the builder was.
67c511e43caac332e150c38e871f5b79.jpg
04d067af3e8573e6e0222256ba4294ce.jpg

I thought it was a cool idea.
this looks fun and effective..
Rad set-up; bike looks awesome
That bike was made by @Glen in New Zealand for an earlier Muscle Bike Build-Off, great job and a quick little bike by the looks of his videos.

I agree. I wonder where they got a 100mm OLD coaster hub.
From memory he spread the forks to fit a standard hub.

Luke.

Keep your finger pointy at the others... i refuse acknowledge anything here but a rational discussion...

Hey 808 why wouldnt the concept you had reguard the dual sprokets u mentioned when i almost bought that terrible tandum for the hub... could only one be a freewheel and the inner the stock coaster sprocket? Youd loose the foot coaster but i guess youd be able hook up like that front has

Well, HOLY CRAP!-- ladies and gentlemen.... @pholTmonx solved this little puzzle for us, aside from the cable routing to pull the inner sprocket the proper way in order to engage the brake....Wow! Totally possible; you just need a coaster hub with an English-threaded driver (easist to find is Velosteel)....a big threaded track cog, some spacers, a NDS loose-ball brit-threaded BB cup, a freewheel, and you'd have to spread the dropouts a bit, as this would likely be wider than the typical CB hub. I need to mock this up so folks can see what we're talking about.... Hardest part would be running the brake-chain to a cable where it would pull the inner chain back to engage the brake.

Well, HOLY CRAP!-- ladies and gentlemen.... @pholTmonx solved this little puzzle for us, aside from the cable routing to pull the inner sprocket the proper way in order to engage the brake....Wow! Totally possible; you just need a coaster hub with an English-threaded driver (easist to find is Velosteel)....a big threaded track cog, some spacers, a NDS loose-ball brit-threaded BB cup, a freewheel, and you'd have to spread the dropouts a bit, as this would likely be wider than the typical CB hub. I need to mock this up so folks can see what we're talking about.... Hardest part would be running the brake-chain to a cable where it would pull the inner chain back to engage the brake.
Not really difficuly to solve the chain routing.. juat go north up the seat stay.. there is always room in the stay man.

The only reason I asked about using the brake arm is because when you apply the brakes on a coaster hub there's movement at the arm.
I just assumed it could be used.
But this idea seems like it might actually work.

Yeah, i gotta find a few spacers and just put one together. @pholTmonx 's application would do best with two freewheels, but @Falstaff 's would be best served by a fixed cog inside and a freewheel outside. (I don't have the right inner freewheel on-hand for the dual-free version, but it'd be easy enough to visualize with a fixed/free set-up...)

The only reason I asked about using the brake arm is because when you apply the brakes on a coaster hub there's movement at the arm.
I just assumed it could be used.
But this idea seems like it might actually work.
Well with what 808 is talking about we still havent mastered the arm.. but figured out how could achive a hand powered coaster for the rear..
But would be a cool feature.. definatly a bit over engeneered but definatly.would be noticable.

I almost bought the ugliest useless tandom to buy its hun because was dual chained all the way back.

Youd have both the drive chain and a brake like the front posted above on the right side... its sounding tough ;)

@Bicycle808 no way dude.. now i want run a freewheel and coaster..
Id have a chain drive peddle assist set up.
All right hand drive.
Terrible back up emergency coaster brake..
Drag brake..
Possible other uses would be smoke screen making and no need for a rear light if i can drag it enough to.make the hub glow:crazy2::crazy2:

Update: this won't work on a Velosteel, not without modifications that probably aren't feasible. The threaded driver on the Velosteel hub takes a lockring, and that stepped-down reverse-threaded part of the driver where the lockring would go is too wide to allow use of the NDS BB cup. You could probably mill down that section of the driver, and bore out the BB cup a little bit, and maybe it'd work, but there ain't much metal to work with on either part.

FWIW, it'd still be easy to do on a "normal" freewheel hub, in terms of running the dual freewheels (I've assembled that, back when i wanted to build a retro-direct bike)...and i still think that Falstaff's dream of a rear hand-actuated coaster could work, but you'd need one of these:
bendix_freewheel_conversion_1b_blowup.jpg

(and a Bendix hub...)

I'm tempted to give a velosteel driver to my machinist buddy and tell him to "make it work;" i'll at least have him look at it and let me know if he thinks it'd be feasible.

I do these kinds of ridiculous intellectual exercises all the time because they're fun and sharpen skills for when less ridiculous problems are encountered. But the great thing about bikes is that they can be ridiculous, more art project than transportation device, because they take little space and money and don't have to conform to many rules, unlike cars (I've designed one of those with a radial engine under a NACA cowling among a good number of other things, but that kind of toy is $$$$$$).

Also cause they are so quickly managable to tackle. My clients dont have 10s of k invested already, i can goof and toss it really when i comes down to it... i could not agree more duchess.

Update: this won't work on a Velosteel, not without modifications that probably aren't feasible. The threaded driver on the Velosteel hub takes a lockring, and that stepped-down reverse-threaded part of the driver where the lockring would go is too wide to allow use of the NDS BB cup. You could probably mill down that section of the driver, and bore out the BB cup a little bit, and maybe it'd work, but there ain't much metal to work with on either part.

FWIW, it'd still be easy to do on a "normal" freewheel hub, in terms of running the dual freewheels (I've assembled that, back when i wanted to build a retro-direct bike)...and i still think that Falstaff's dream of a rear hand-actuated coaster could work, but you'd need one of these:
bendix_freewheel_conversion_1b_blowup.jpg

(and a Bendix hub...)

I'm tempted to give a velosteel driver to my machinist buddy and tell him to "make it work;" i'll at least have him look at it and let me know if he thinks it'd be feasible.
Well, I'm pretty sure I have a bendix hub.

Latest posts

Back