█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlex 7/26 Red-rum FRAME PAINT Un-Masked

Joker-n-Jack said:
There is just SO much coolness here...First off, one of my two favorite frames of all time! I dream one day of having a Space-Liner...but then you have done so much to it that the awesomeness is overwhelming. From the details painted on the chain wheel to the headlight to the paint job to the double springers! I just can't wait to see this one finished!

I really appreciate the coolness kudos JNJ. This baby has been a blast to create. And trust me, I share everyone's "I just can't wait to see this one finished" wish. It's gonna be a fun week!!!!! Thanks again dude!!

The big challenge is to see if I can finish this build before the thread hits 100 pages!!! :p

kingfish254 said:
Gotcha, well this is gonna be a rider, so I will just live with any "character" scuffs it gets and maybe occasionally do some touch up. I can live with that, because I think the coolness factor of the bike will overide scuffs. :mrgreen:

I just need to make sure I handle it with kids gloves until I am done with finished entry photos.

Exactly, that's my take on it too...

Not if ya keep yappin' instead of buildin'!!! :mrgreen:

Jake Sensi said:
Not if ya keep yappin' instead of buildin'!!! :mrgreen:

Impossible to GTB while I am at the office!
But I can yap!!

8) SNAZZY!! 8)

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
8) SNAZZY!! 8)

Thanks Ray!

Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlex Spaceliner 7/27 POINTY DOODADS

Decided to add some style to the rear springer cover (cocktail shaker bottom). Broke out the tin snips and sanding station and this is what I ended up with.

Here is the side view and approximate location.

WP_000041.jpg

And here is what it looks like from the top (and yes, I have already drawn blood with that spike).

WP_000042.jpg

Then I did the final shaping on the front fork blade wings that mimick the rear pointy drops.

WP_000049.jpg

WP_000048.jpg

WP_000046.jpg

I really knew better but I went ahead and painted the parts at 8 PM less than 15 after we had a little rain.

No runs, but the humidity made sheen of the coats on three of the parts flatten out.

Oh well. I'll try one more coat tomorrow otherwise I strip them down and start over.

WP_000050.jpg

WP_000052.jpg

At least the the rear springer arm came out good. This stripe will be a continuation of the rear suspension arms.

WP_000051.jpg

Before you strip the parts that hazed down and respray them, try wet sanding them a bit with 1200 grit, then polishing compound. I had the same thing happen to one of my tank halves yesterday with the green flavor of the paint. I was able to bring it back with just a little bit of effort.

expjawa said:
Before you strip the parts that hazed down and respray them, try wet sanding them a bit with 1200 grit, then polishing compound. I had the same thing happen to one of my tank halves yesterday with the green flavor of the paint. I was able to bring it back with just a little bit of effort.

Will do Rick.
Thanks for the tip man!

No problem. Like I said, I was facing the same thing myself earlier today.If the 1200 grit doesn't work well, start off with 600 (that's actually what I did), then move to the finer paper and then compound. It should come out pretty well, especially if you top it all off with a coat of wax. FWIW, if you're planning on clearcoating, the 600 grit is a good choice for prepping for it. The Metalcast will look hazy after sanding, but the clear coat will take care of that.

If you do strip the paint, though, OOOO steel wool soaked in laquer thinner takes it right off. Or at least it does from chrome or polished aluminum. The first set of handlebars that I had painted red for my American last year still had the red when I wanted to use them for my winter bike. I was able to strip the red off with no ill-effects to the aluminum underneath.

Thanks again.

Actaully, I probably should have GroundCoated the fork blades because they are just sanded aluminum, but I thought that would be enough shine underneath.

The springer cover is stainless steel which is just as shiny as chrome, so I'm not worried about it being an undercoating issue there.

We'll see tomorrow. I know I have some 600 grit, but I'm not sure if I have any 1200. Maybe I'll find some at the yard sales. :p

Worked on the battery and light holder for the spotlight tonight.

Put in a smaller microswitch, then cut down some packing foam to fit the battery and the cone of the light.

WP_000053a.jpg

WP_000054a.jpg

WP_000055a.jpg

Then cut a flexible plastic CD case like a donut to mount the LED strip on.

WP_000056a.jpg

Taped the light together in a circle and tested them.

WP_000057a.jpg

Mocked up the red Flexi-glass plate and pitcher lense too.

WP_000058a.jpg

Just have to solder everything up now and put some adhesive in there to wrap everything up on the spotlight.

For some reason the thoughts in my mind are never-nude and fire-crotch. :? :shock:

yoothgeye said:
For some reason the thoughts in my mind are never-nude and fire-crotch. :? :shock:

LOL! Thats what I get for posting pics late at night. I had jean shorts on, but I have since edited out the buddha belly.
How did you know that my nickname is Fire Crotch????

kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:

LOL! Thats what I get for posting pics late at night. I had jean shorts on, but I have since edited out the buddha belly.
How did you know that my nickname is Fire Crotch????

One wild night in Savannah, haha. If you don't get the "never nude" reference then I suggest you watch the TV show Arrested Development.

Peatbog said:
Cool light.

You building tomorrow or you making samiches?

I've been eating Sammiches and building most of the day (after yard sale-ing) . Updates coming later tonight.

Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlex 7/27 More Paint and Pointy Stuff

Okay, I sure feel like I did more than I have photos for tonight. Guess some of the stuff was boring polishing and didn't warrant a photo.

First off check out the paint haul I got for $5 at a yard sale. About 15 spray cans (including a few Montana Gold cans). Well over 50 artists tubes of oil and acrylic, about 20 bigger bottles of paint, and two gallon refill jugs of Windex and Clorox Cleaner. Not bad for a Jefferson!!!!!!!

WP_000061.jpg

Got home from "Sale" ing and tried out RickJawa's suggestion to resolve the foggy Metalcast. The 1000 grit wetsand and polishing definitely help a great deal, but wasn't complete for my issues. So I scuffed it with some 800 and recoated it again. Perfect!!! Peeled away the masking and here is the new spring cover semi mocked up. THANKS RICK!!!

WP_000062.jpg

WP_000064.jpg

WP_000065.jpg

Latest posts

Back