█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlex 7/22 Breakdown and Paint

Cue up some Tom Petty's Breakdown.

Broke down Flexy and started paint and polish.

Stripped and sanded most of the parts that will be done with red anodized paint (Dupli-Color Metalcast).

WP_002460.jpg

Primed and placed in my paint drying booth (shop bathroom).

WP_002462.jpg

Stripped the 1941 fork, sanded and primed it.

WP_002463.jpg

WP_002465.jpg

WP_002466.jpg

Then started using the Duplicolor Metalcast Ground Coat for the non chrome parts. This gives a nice metallic base before the red.

WP_002468.jpg

WP_002469.jpg

WP_002471.jpg

WP_002472.jpg

While sanding the forks I remembered an idea I had a while back to make use of the fender support screw mount.
I am going to mimic the classic Spaceliner pointy drops on the front forks. Even with gloves I found that aluminum is a great heat conductor as I did some rough grinding on these. I think this will help balance out the huge blades on these forks by making them even bigger.

WP_002464.jpg

WP_002473.jpg

Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlex 7/22 Breakdown + Paint + Fork Fins

This is what I've been waiting for!! Go for it B!!

Jake Sensi said:
This is what I've been waiting for!! Go for it B!!

Me too Jake, but I'm like Orson Welles with his Paul Mason wine.

0.jpg

bike2112 said:
I think the paint is bubbling, you gotta start all over. Just kidding. It's comin together dude!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man, I can't wait to get some red on it tomorrow!!!!!

Gotta start cleaning the Spaceliner chrome too.

I plan to paint the lower twin tubes with the red over the chrome. I just thought of that the other night. I think it will really look sharp and and tie the front and back red together. Haven't decided on any red transiton on the steering tube. Maybe continue the red of the tubes and have an outline around the 007 headbadge?

Peatbog said:
If you plan to use clear over the red, test a part first. When I used clear over the Krylon red, I had a bunch of problems.

Thanks for reminding me. I had planned to paint up a batch of test slugs as I went along for that very reason.
I don't have time to repaint like some people that started their paint a month and a half ago, then again in 3 days, then again in 7 days.......... :p

Thanks for the heads up!!!!

Peatbog said:
kingfish254 said:
I don't have time to repaint like some people that started their paint a month and a half ago, then again in 3 days, then again in 7 days.......... :p

Whatchcu you talkin' 'bout Willis? :mrgreen:

Couldn't resist.

Here is how she stands now.

Kinda nekkid.

WP_002474.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Peatbog said:
If you plan to use clear over the red, test a part first. When I used clear over the Krylon red, I had a bunch of problems.

Thanks for reminding me. I had planned to paint up a batch of test slugs as I went along for that very reason.

Thanks for the heads up!!!!
Hahahaha. Sounds like someone we know :mrgreen:

I too drink no wine before it's time.........well, sometimes I do.
Man! you are doing some awesome work that I wasn't expecting. Great customization! Mucho impresivo!!

Oneuglybike said:
Necked bikes are not allowed sir!!!! :mrgreen:

Don't Look Ethel!!!! Too late, she done been mooned!!!!

EastOfEastLos said:
I too drink no wine before it's time.........well, sometimes I do.
Man! you are doing some awesome work that I wasn't expecting. Great customization! Mucho impresivo!!

Thanks man, I appreciate the kudos!

dragnusa said:
Cant wait to see how the red turns out

Me either man, can't wait to get off work today!!!!

Looking great, can't wait to start seeing the metalcast red go on, I love that stuff! I have some purple on the bookshelf in our living room that I've been waiting to use. Hmmm... it's actually been there for about 3 months and my wife hasn't said anything about it. Odd.

yoothgeye said:
Looking great, can't wait to start seeing the metalcast red go on, I love that stuff! I have some purple on the bookshelf in our living room that I've been waiting to use. Hmmm... it's actually been there for about 3 months and my wife hasn't said anything about it. Odd.

Thanks yoots. Metalcast update coming in a few minutes.

josh_from_ga said:
Can't wait to see this bike finished, I check on y'all pretty much very day.

Yo Josh, howzit going? It's coming down to the wire, but I'm getting there.

Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlex Spaceliner 7/23 Metallic Merlot

Couldn't wait to get home tonight and slap on some Metalcast red.

I am not a patient painter, so I liked the directions for this paint. Two light coats, then one wet coat with 10 minutes in between as long as all coats are done within one hour. Well I decided to go wet on all three rather than be to light. One reason was it says that if you want to put on another coat after 1 hour you have to wait 7 DAYS for it to cure.

Painting went very well and the color looked sharp. These are the pieces that were not chrome and I used the Metalcast Ground Coat under.

WP_002478.jpg

WP_002480.jpg

WP_002479.jpg

WP_002483.jpg

WP_002486.jpg

WP_002488.jpg

WP_002489.jpg

Popped in the drying room

WP_002490.jpg

Started taping off the star ring. Man it is a pain to cut outlines around 12 stars (2 sides)

WP_002491.jpg

WP_002492.jpg

I was about to paint the chainring and decided to check on the other parts. Looks like my wine is aging a little bit and darkening up.

WP_002494.jpg

It was taking on more of deep metallic red color than typical anodized red. Still looks great, just different.
Took the fork out in the light and you can still see it is red, but with the sun, it definitely is a bit richer like a Merlot. Funny that I made the Orson Welles wine reference yesterday.

WP_002495.jpg

Started working on some of the chrome parts that I want red. Here I used Duplicolor's Adhesion Promoter. It's like a clear primer when you are painting surfaces like chrome that you don't was to sand up.

Shifter box masked up.

WP_002498.jpg

Chainring unmasked (similar on backside).

WP_002499.jpg

Dogleg

WP_002500.jpg

WIth the indoor light you can see how the paint is darkening up. I still like it and the way it contrasts with the chrome.

WP_002502.jpg

WP_002503.jpg

Shifter box unmasked

WP_002505.jpg

Another shot of the ring

WP_002506.jpg

Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlex 7/23 PAINT!!! Metallic Merlot

yoothgeye said:

Thanks!

That is most of the paint right there. Now I need to tackle the cleaning and polishing the chrome on the frame and then I will paint the lower twin tubes with the Metalcast.

MAN IT WAS FUN PUTTING THE RED ON TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back