⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ --- Sexy HEXy Is DONE! - Ride (PIC HEAVY) + Walkaround VIDEO!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew a single scallop was too small, but I just wanted a simple mock up test.

After that was a success, I cut a longer double scallop from the PAD.
20210827_135825.jpg
20210827_140202.jpg

What is really cool with this honeycomb is the way the cells reflect the color under them. From this angle you can't see any of the actually PAD, but you see the reflection of the red pattern clearly in the cells.

20210827_140207.jpg
20210827_140227.jpg

This is not the final design and I am no where close to mounting the tank yet, but I am VERY excited about these mockups. This is such a cool material.

I still need to take the sammich apart, trim the flashing meat to fit into the center of the frame. Then trim the honeycomb bread panels to fit. Then create my mounting method. Then polish the flashing section. Then decide on a final red scallop design and paint it on the polished flashing. Then assemble. Lot of steps, but I am sure I can finish this piece of the puzzle this weekend.

This sammich has made me hungry for a bike score, so I'm gonna go try and snag a ramshorn muscle bike down the road.

Gonna look cool!

Don't let any kids near it. Wouldn't want it to suffer the same fate as so many AC coils have!
ac_condenser_leak-417x300.jpg

What kid could resist?! :21:

This will be recessed in the tank area, so hopefully that will at least block any accidental damage. It's not quite as fragile as the AC fins though. Each hex cell is only 1/4, so there it does have some level of rigidity to it. But, it could still be damaged with just a little effort.

Made a 1.5 hour round trip to get this. I am pretty sure it is a flavor of Murray built Western Flyer Wild One. I just got it for the Wald Billy Goat Bars and grips. I'll flip the rest once I research it.
20210827_170525.jpg
20210827_170529.jpg
20210827_170535.jpg

Found these ads.

Looking closer, it may just be one of the Buzz Bikes that had Billy Bars because, the Wild Ones had 24+20 wheels and mine is just 20+20

1630101361649.png

Found this Buzz Bike ad and it's the right color. Mine's just missing the nanner and tall sissy bar.

1630101879666.png

Last edited:
Great build you've got going here fish. Love what you did with those bars. Wheels and tires are real cool. Keep wondering what it would look like with some red fenders.

Great build you've got going here fish. Love what you did with those bars. Wheels and tires are real cool. Keep wondering what it would look like with some red fenders.

I mocked some cool Shelby ducktail fenders on the wheels and tires on the first day of the build off that were very cool, but I just didn't like them with the wheels+tires+frame combination. I'd rather keep this a fenderless hotrod.

The tank looks great. I think the red color might be a little darker to match the stripes, guard, and seat, and the 2 scallops would look good as 3 scallops and a little thinner.

The Buzz bike is the Hustler, only a dollar cheaper than the Wild One. 48 bucks was a lot for a bike back then.

The tank looks great. I think the red color might be a little darker to match the stripes, guard, and seat, and the 2 scallops would look good as 3 scallops and a little thinner.

The Buzz bike is the Hustler, only a dollar cheaper than the Wild One. 48 bucks was a lot for a bike back then.

The current scallops is just some pinkish red posterboard. The paint I have is Rustoleum Gloss Sunrise Red and should go well with the other reds.

I'll play around with different layouts before deciding on what scallop pattern fits best.

Yeah, I looked closer at the second WF ad and saw that it was the Hustler Buzz Bike. I remember now that Western Auto pretty much called a large number of their nanner seat bikes Buzz Bikes of one flavor or another. I guess this one was the Larry Flynt Special :D

Last edited:
I really oversized the initial tank blank template because you can't add material back. After quite a bit of trimming in incremental stages, i finally have the flashing meat of the sammich done.

20210828_121627.jpg

Next step will be trimming the entirely different and unfamiliar medium of the honeycomb bread. I think this is going to be quite tedious.

20210828_122540.jpg

The utility knife method that I used for the rough blanks wasn't as smooth as I want. So, for these detail cuts, I am going to be cutting each cell wall one at a time with some tiny dikes that I have. The cuts are easy, but it means one or two cuts every 1/8 to 1/4 inch around the entire perimeter.... on two slices of bread.

20210828_123336.jpg

The utility knife method that I used for the rough blanks wasn't as smooth as I want. So, for these detail cuts, I am going to be cutting each cell wall one at a time with some tiny dikes that I have. The cuts are easy, but it means one or two cuts every 1/8 to 1/4 inch around the entire perimeter.... on two slices of bread.

View attachment 169975

Snip snip

20210828_133113.jpg
20210828_133121.jpg
20210828_133633.jpg

One slice complete

20210828_140119.jpg
20210828_140543.jpg

20210828_140826.jpg

Latest posts

Back