A Proper Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The aesthetics of that light are the bomb and go well with the front fender detail.
Thanks!!!! -we’ll see what happens. It was tough to buy: I had another, battery powered light ‘in my stock’ but really thought it was too big and would mess up the flow of the bike

-that said, I wanted anything but an empty headlight bracket. A clamp alone to make this light work with my bracket is like $30 on eBay. I got the new light with clamp n freight for ~$60…. So not great, but not awful

I was going to use yellow duplicolor on the lens on this…. I’m going to put the other one on as is and leave any cosmetic mods for last minute
75C9C946-9DA2-4A5C-B4C9-026D25043F32.jpeg

Last edited:
I hit this guy with a clear gloss last night.

It will be interesting to see if you can notice the gloss vs the satin once installed
View attachment 239054
I don't think it will matter if it's glossy or not. The old Raleigh headbadge is so grandiose it still stands out even when dirty.
20230525_184354~2.jpg

So, thinking about ‘my inventory’, I remembered a part I had bought with no project in mind…. RRB, I’d like some input!!!!

…. And, this being an English bike, makes me think of a famous English phrase by William Shakespeare!

So, RRB: To patina,
B01E6C7C-8BB2-4EAC-8C0B-43309371EBDC.jpeg
DF9574C3-50E9-400A-B564-36836A059037.jpeg

Or not to patina,
B1B3B69B-034B-4988-A6AA-4CCF762BBD00.jpeg
28EA5E72-006C-455E-8404-13456BB39FF8.jpeg

THAT is the QUESTION!
F3139195-EFFA-46EA-9F40-16EE385C7FD3.jpeg

….as I LOVE the brown saddle, I think it may ‘stick out’ from the rest of the bike…..

Last edited:
Never done this before!

Any science to tightening the crown race / top headset nut?

I have no vertical play in the fork but really only put on finger tight

Cleaned out parts and re-greased top and bottom races.
View attachment 239068View attachment 239069View attachment 239070

Back in the day (late1980s early 1990s before affordable cartridge brgs) we would always remove the brg cages and pack them loose (less friction). Then tighten them like any other brg. The trick was always to be mindful and not put too many brgs in the cups/crowns. Also, if someone has a worn crown/race combo where they can feel the recesses left due to time/corrosion, packing them loose places the contact point in a different location and it feels (almost) new again. The PT company has a good metal rueler with graduated holes that identifies brg sizes. I apologize if this is common knowledge......

Back in the day (late1980s early 1990s before affordable cartridge brgs) we would always remove the brg cages and pack them loose (less friction). Then tighten them like any other brg. The trick was always to be mindful and not put too many brgs in the cups/crowns. Also, if someone has a worn crown/race combo where they can feel the recesses left due to time/corrosion, packing them loose places the contact point in a different location and it feels (almost) new again. The PT company has a good metal rueler with graduated holes that identifies brg sizes. I apologize if this is common knowledge......
Great info! Thank you! -so are you saying I could pull out a ball bearing or two?

So, thinking about ‘my inventory’, I remembered a part I had bought with no project in mind…. RRB, I’d like some input!!!!

…. And, this being an English bike, makes me think of a famous English phrase by William Shakespeare!

So, RRB: To patina,
View attachment 239059View attachment 239058

Or not to patina,
View attachment 239060View attachment 239061

THAT is the QUESTION!
View attachment 239062
….as I LOVE the brown saddle, I think it may ‘stick out’ from the rest of the bike…..
The black one would work better, and that's probably the same style seat that came with it.

The black one would work better, and that's probably the same style seat that came with it.
Thanks Wildcat: Yeah…. I’m pretty sure the black (B72) was the original seat for the bike.

the original owner‘s son said he knew it had a ’thick brooks saddle’ on it originally, but had been lost or replaced over the years.

Great info! Thank you! -so are you saying I could pull out a ball bearing or two?

If they all sit in there "shoulder to shoulder" and lay flat into the cup you should be fine. If there is even 1 too many, it will want to stick up. Your description that the steerer and head tube pivots smoothly tells me that you have the correct amount.......

The build is looking good Jude! These old British bikes have their eccentricities but they are great bikes. I like the B72 for this one. It's what it probably had originally, like Wildcat pointed out, and I like the patina. That brown saddle is awesome though. You could just switch them out depending on your mood. Keep up the great work! :cool2:

The build is looking good Jude! These old British bikes have their eccentricities but they are great bikes. I like the B72 for this one. It's what it probably had originally, like Wildcat pointed out, and I like the patina. That brown saddle is awesome though. You could just switch them out depending on your mood. Keep up the great work! :cool2:
Thanks! The bottom bracket and cotter pins lived up to the hype!

I’m looking forward to getting this beast done and on the road!

If you did dark brown tape, or custom stained RaT-ina tape to match the brown Brooks, those accents might look really neat with your green/black fade.

Brown is the new black, you know. 😁

Jude, I think you've found your niche. After the Red Ryder Skinny build winning bike, and now this Raliegh; you clearly have a knack for these!

If you did dark brown tape, or custom stained RaT-ina tape to match the brown Brooks, those accents might look really neat with your green/black fade.

Brown is the new black, you know. 😁

Jude, I think you've found your niche. After the Red Ryder Skinny build winning bike, and now this Raliegh; you clearly have a knack for these!
Thanks OJ! I’ve got some tricks up my sleeve!

I honestly DO prefer the brown seat, but the black B72 I think is more appropriate: also, I have committed to black tape already as it just showed up this week…. I ordered the tape not remembering I had that brown seat in my inventory.

-so I love your idea and would prefer to do, but am already hemmed in a bit with the black and RED tape.

-stand by for fun with brake cable housings!

this thing is either going to look like a circus or an epic combo of crazy colors!

Back