BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Voting???

oxyjansen said:
This is my first year entering the official build off, and I was wondering if someone could explain how voting is accomplished and when? I'm making the assumption that all votes are cast after the deadline, and that we the people are the ones voting even if we have a build in the contest? If everyone allowed only 1 vote?

Thanx in advance!

As explained, and I assume the voting will follow the system used last time, every member will be able to cast votes. Each gets 3 votes to apply as they like (to different bikes, you cannot apply 3 votes to one bike.)

It's a bit different system than I've seen with other online polls, and it's been refined here over the past few years. I believe it's fair and it works quite well. I also believe that we are like-minded people who participate here for fun and out of a sense of community. For that reason, I do not believe the voting system gets abused.

This format allows a fair and open vote on the many many entries, and all have a good shot at winning. There is no "elimination" process or head-to-head: it's simply each man (boy, girl, etc) for himself. It's as if 80 people were running for president. And the prize is the honor and glory and a spot on the front page or perhaps next year's calendar.

The contest will be closed to entries at a set time (announced in the rules at the beginning of the Build Off) and the voting will likewise be accepted until a published cutoff time.

Personally, I would be in favor of something like a "Builder's Choice" award, where only members who entered a bike vote, but only as a separate vote from the main one, and the prize for that would be a separate award. As it stands, the prize or trophy goes to the top vote getter, and there may be prizes awarded for 2nd place, 3rd place, etc depending on what might be received as donations.

So get out there and build and have fun, because everyone who puts together a bike wins a great prize in this Build Off!

--Rob

Re: Voting???

herr_rudolf said:
One of the moderators will set-up a voting-system in a seperate thread that lists all the participating bikes (with links to pics of them, if I remember correctly). Every member gets to cast 3 votes, when the Build-off deadline has passed.

I get to vote for myself thrice??? :shock:

I personaly think its in bad taste to vote for your own, but I quess if you get three votes. What do ya do?
Oh yeah is there gona be different catagories i.e. best in show,smalliest budget, crowd favorite that sorta thing, or just one overall vote/winner?

Skrufryder said:
I personaly think its in bad taste to vote for your own, but I quess if you get three votes. What do ya do?
Oh yeah is there gona be different catagories i.e. best in show,smalliest budget, crowd favorite that sorta thing, or just one overall vote/winner?

Hahah, I don't understand the joy one gets from voting for his/her own either. Absolutely no benefit will come from that, For you nor for the others, than to live with the thought you did. And it's a vote waisted. It seems in the end it's always a tight race between #1 and #2 and the lost votes could have made a difference.
:|

"What do you do, with three votes?"
There are no catagories. But you can catagorize for your own though. For instance: I always look for the overal winner that fit's the hotrod-spirit of this site best. Then I look for the one that went through the biggest transformation. After that I think I vote for the one with the most surprises in his build(thread). Oh and I tend to go for the underdog. Something like that.

herr_rudolf said:
"What do you do, with three votes?"
There are no catagories. But you can catagorize for your own though. For instance: I always look for the overal winner that fit's the hotrod-spirit of this site best. Then I look for the one that went through the biggest transformation. After that I think I vote for the one with the most surprises in his build(thread). Oh and I tend to go for the underdog. Something like that.

I think that's 4 votes I think. :D

i just look at the end results and just vote for the three bikes i would want to ride the most, its the easist way to keep my brain from locking up and im content with that method.

Regarding rules #3 and #10. Respectively the use of a factory frame and goofy questions.

I hope this is not a goofy question trying to get around the rules. I want to build a swingbike for the build-off. I do not have a complete factory frame. I have a factory rear triangle I am repairing and I have a friend with an original top frame section I am borrowing to make a jig so I can make an exact copy as far as geometry goes. I will fake the cast head tubes. You won't be able to tell once painted that it's not a factory frame. I realize that not everyone has the tools to do this and it may not fit within the rules. I am going to build this bike anyway, but I would like to enter it in the build-off if this is not stretching the rules too much.

That might be a little much. No custom frame work at all. If that was allowed I think someone would of tried to recreate the bluebird or an airflow. You need to enter a frame that will still be the same frame when the build is over. :wink:

BTW just a bit of inspiration. With the economic crisis going on along with build off 6, I encourage you guys to build a bike that pays for itself.

Every good neighbor does favors for their neighbors. With this bike it allows you to aerate every year in your neighborhood without a Sweet, or maybe even deliver cargo to the north pole with these "state of the art" traction tires. The bike would pay for itself in one job.
early-icebike-500x436.jpg

bikebuilder said:
Regarding rules #3 and #10. Respectively the use of a factory frame and goofy questions.

I hope this is not a goofy question trying to get around the rules. I want to build a swingbike for the build-off. I do not have a complete factory frame. I have a factory rear triangle I am repairing and I have a friend with an original top frame section I am borrowing to make a jig so I can make an exact copy as far as geometry goes. I will fake the cast head tubes. You won't be able to tell once painted that it's not a factory frame. I realize that not everyone has the tools to do this and it may not fit within the rules. I am going to build this bike anyway, but I would like to enter it in the build-off if this is not stretching the rules too much.

Not goofy at all. Just a matter of where personal boundaries are set. I tend to say 'yes, no problem', but double nickle has a good point. Isn't there any other way you can obtain the real thing? Buying it from your friend? Or build it for your friend and trade it with him. Or also duplicate the rear triangle for payment for your friend so you both can have swingbikes... 8)

="herr_rudolf" Not goofy at all. Just a matter of where personal boundaries are set. I tend to say 'yes, no problem', but double nickle has a good point. Isn't there any other way you can obtain the real thing? Buying it from your friend? Or build it for your friend and trade it with him. Or also duplicate the rear triangle for payment for your friend so you both can have swingbikes... 8)

He doesn't really like to sell them. He has about 10, and wants top dollar for them. The top section I borrowed is part of a complete bike. I just need it to make the jig and use it for mocking things up to see where I want to go. I want to really keep this thing on a small budget. If anyone has an original frame for cheap I might be interested. Any condition.

I will do a separate build thread and if I happen to come across an original frame before the deadline maybe I can have it moved over.

Back