BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whoinphx said:
...Basically I've got an opportunity to get a few pieces I want re chromed at virtually no cost.
Would it be okay?....

imho:
getting parts plated, yes. (Chromed parts is as much a part of hotrodding as whitewalls and pinstripes.)
getting frame plated, no? (for me that feels the same as letting your frame being powdercoated.)

---

Oh, and regarding the previous discussion:
I may have come across as some RRBBO-Rules Gestapo officer (My name has got to do something with that :wink: ) by just saying no to what people have been asking. :roll: It's not often that I'm against anything, heck, I love seeing the oddball- and the underdog-bikes in the build off. The more, the merrier. I've been explaining I say no to some things: To let everybody build on the same level and maintain a fair competion. (and keeping it in the spirit of this forum.)
I even highghlited those important words 'same level' and 'fair'.
Maybe I shouldn't have picked out the color red for that...
When silly questions and remarks keep pouring in... well, that just brings up the sarcasm in me. :mrgreen:
And, for some people to get your point across, you just need to do so...

It may have cost me some votes, but I find it way more important to maintain a fair competition where members from 9 year old to 80 year old have the same chance in participating/winning, and have fun with that.

I want to add:
I absolutely love bicycles with motors. I'm glad they get posted on the forum. They are an inspiration to me and my builds. I look up to those bikes, and I guess that goes for a lot, if not all the members.

I'd like it if a lot of folks would bolt on motors- I could eliminate those from consideration immediately and not have to try and follow so many great threads..... :mrgreen:

herr_rudolf said:
whoinphx said:
...Basically I've got an opportunity to get a few pieces I want re chromed at virtually no cost.
Would it be okay?....

imho:
getting parts plated, yes. (Chromed parts is as much a part of hotrodding as whitewalls and pinstripes.)
getting frame plated, no? (for me that feels the same as letting your frame being powdercoated.)

---

Oh, and regarding the previous discussion:
I may have come across as some RRBBO-Rules Gestapo officer (My name has got to do something with that :wink: ) by just saying no to what people have been asking. :roll: It's not often that I'm against anything, heck, I love seeing the oddball- and the underdog-bikes in the build off. The more, the merrier. I've been explaining I say no to some things: To let everybody build on the same level and maintain a fair competion. (and keeping it in the spirit of this forum.)
I even highghlited those important words 'same level' and 'fair'.
Maybe I shouldn't have picked out the color red for that...
When silly questions and remarks keep pouring in... well, that just brings up the sarcasm in me. :mrgreen:
And, for some people to get your point across, you just need to do so...

It may have cost me some votes, but I find it way more important to maintain a fair competition where members from 9 year old to 80 year old have the same chance in participating/winning, and have fun with that.

I want to add:
I absolutely love bicycles with motors. I'm glad they get posted on the forum. They are an inspiration to me and my builds. I look up to those bikes, and I guess that goes for a lot, if not all the members.

i respect other builders when they speak their minds. thats what this thread is about anyways. i tend to get into these sorts of threads too and no i dont think you are out of line at all for saying what you feel. we are very passionate about what we do and i think most of the questions are asked more because no one wants to build a bike then get disqualified.

Rat Rod said:
If you pinstripe a turd....it's still a turd. :lol:

And......

if you professionally paint a turd.....it's still a turd.

if you bolt a motor on a turd.....it's still a turd.

if you profesionally rechrome a turd...it's still a turd.

if you cut and stretch a turd....it's still a turd.

if you apply professional graphics to a turd....it's still a turd.

if you bolt a bunch of funky parts to a turd...it's still a turd.

if you buy expensive parts at wholesale for a turd.....it's still a turd.

if you use computer skills to mock up a turd....it's still a turd.

No, I'm not calling anyones build a turd, I'm just trying to make the point that we all add our own "bumps" to the level playing field and not a single one of these things automatically knocks a hundred builders out of contention any more than any of these things guarantees one builder a win. My preference for a relatively simple bike that can be ridden for miles (and my aversion to dumpsters... :mrgreen: ) is obviously at odds with somebody else's more radical creation. Hopefully we can both sit back and enjoy the process without crying "foul" over some perceived advantage held by another member.....

Of all the contests I've seen this is the one least about winning and the most about participating. That's what makes it the best. :D 8)

Rat Rod said:
Does anyone have any Prozac?

i think you need a weekend partying with charlie sheen!

that'll help ya forget......

:mrgreen:

In the end, if I had to choose between a chromeplated turd or just an ordinairy turd, I'd go for the chromeplated turd.

Rat Rod said:
Does anyone have any Prozac?
Heheh Steve, you must have some seasonable masochistic tendencies setting up the anual contest every spring... :mrgreen:

And now, gotta get back to building my turd.
(the rules say nothing about eating three plates of Chili Con Carne, right..? )

May the best man win! ...errrr, I mean... participate!

smiley_mrgreen_1.jpg

makes me want to buy one of those plastic prank turds and start modding it........

pptbo #1 anybody? :mrgreen:

Voting???

This is my first year entering the official build off, and I was wondering if someone could explain how voting is accomplished and when? I'm making the assumption that all votes are cast after the deadline, and that we the people are the ones voting even if we have a build in the contest? If everyone allowed only 1 vote?

Thanx in advance!

Re: Voting???

oxyjansen said:
This is my first year entering the official build off, and I was wondering if someone could explain how voting is accomplished and when? I'm making the assumption that all votes are cast after the deadline, and that we the people are the ones voting even if we have a build in the contest? If everyone allowed only 1 vote?

Thanx in advance!

previous voting:

One of the moderators will set-up a voting-system in a seperate thread that lists all the participating bikes (with links to pics of them, if I remember correctly). Every member gets to cast 3 votes, when the Build-off deadline has passed.

yoothgeye said:
Here's an example of my suggestion for the person who wants to build a motorized bicycle for the build off.

This would be your "finished" build off bike entry:
IMG_3669.jpg

This would be the day after you posted your "finished" photo:
IMG_3691.jpg

Just sayin.

Plus, if I was voting, I would vote for the top one before the bottom, the motor is cool, and it's my bike, but the bottom bike is not why I'm here.
That tank set up ruins it!

Re: Voting???

oxyjansen said:

Thanx in advance!

if this is your first year please disregard the last dozen posts- we're really all quite normal.

honest.

trust me.

no really, i'm serious.

:mrgreen:

Back