BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat Rod get yer aspirin out!

The way I read it:

The rules never say "bicycle". Bike is informal for bicycle or short for motorcycle.

The rules say nothing about motors, if you wanna use one use, use it. But it is gettin' into the grey area of rule 11. Cheap is pretty subjective tho!

inshane64 said:
Rat Rod get yer aspirin out!

The way I read it:

The rules never say "bicycle". Bike is informal for bicycle or short for motorcycle.

The rules say nothing about motors, if you wanna use one use, use it. But it is gettin' into the grey area of rule 11. Cheap is pretty subjective tho!

does that mean I can use a motorcycle frame??

I don't see a problem with a motor, as long as the pedals are fully functional.

That'll keep the Harleys away. :wink:

And if someone wants to Rat out a moped, well I say more power to them!

One of the problems could be:
A situation with some guys building awesome motorbikes with all the right proportions (low seat/dropped bars) that function really well that are supposed to compete with a lot of guys building the 'wannabee' motorless-versions that don't function that well (cause you'd have a hard time pedaling with a low seat)... For instance.
Also, I think a lot of guys that would build a cool ratrodbike (as in bicycle) will be put off just because the bar is set so much higher by letting bikes with motors enter. I'd certainly would get the feeling: 'Why should I bother to enter competing with 'real' boardtrackracers.
It is just not my idea of a fair competition on the same level.

Again, if one wants to compete entering a motorbike... Why not wait for the 'Anything goes build off'?

I thought the (un)written rules of RRBBO to keep it fair for everybody were pretty simple...

inshane64 said:

scrumblero said:
does that mean I can use a motorcycle frame??
herr_rudolf said:
Yes.
Let us all build motorcycles because the rules never said we aren't supposed to.
I think I'll choose a Yamaha, maybe a 750, because they're relatively cheap.

Darn. I really was under the impression that this site and this build-off was about bicycles.
My bad.

I was just sayin what I thought the rules said, and the definition of "bike".

Methinks engines are not in the spirit or the history of this build-off and so they should be left out. People needa calm down about it tho! What do you expect us to do? Hire a legal team to write the rules.

inshane64 said:
What do you expect us to do? Hire a legal team to write the rules.

:lol: One would think such thing shouldn't be neccesary with such simple rules... :roll: :wink:

inshane64 said:
...about motors, if you wanna use one use, use it.
inshane64 said:
...Methinks engines are not in the spirit or the history of this build-off and so they should be left out.

Gettin' a bit confused here. You want them motors in or out of the build-off?
Just curious. :?:

---

I miss the simpeler Build-off days when getting a bike pinstriped or grinding off fendertabs were the grey area and hot toppics of discussion... :wink:

If a handicapped person were to build a bike and stick one of those over-the-wheel assist motors on it, it wouldn't seem out of place, but a dedicated motorbike per se, for an able person, just doesn't seem to me to be in the spirit of the thing. :|

inshane64 said:
There isn't a rule against it so for now its "legal", but I do think it violates the history and spirit of this build-off.

hahah, I know there isn't. And. I think it does.
But I'm curious about YOUR OPPION regarding the engines in the build-off bikes. Should they be in the build-off or not. What do YOU think..? :?

deorman said:
If a handicapped person were to build a bike and stick one of those over-the-wheel assist motors on it, it wouldn't seem out of place, but a dedicated motorbike per se, for an able person, just doesn't seem to me to be in the spirit of the thing. :|

Interesting notes, deorman. I'm with you on both.

I think it gives a much bigger palette for the builder to work on, making it easier to come up with cool ideas. bolting junk on a pedal bike will only get you so far, there has to be a good underlying theme.. bolting stuff on a motor bike goes a long way and sometimes IS the theme...

IMO!! :lol:

I know this is supposed to be a fun thing put I am feelin the pressure now. :shock: theres so many awesome builds raising the bar with every post. I almost feel like I should ban myself from the whole RRBBO6 forum till I get done just too keep my stress level down.. :lol: :lol:

not that I feel I need to win, but I would like to be maybe in the league below and at least make a decent showing... :roll:

herr_rudolf said:
"Build by hands, Powered by feet."
A motor takes the essence out of a ratrodbicycle.

Despite of how cool I think they are, for the annual build-off I say no to Bicycles with motors. Those are motorbikes. We once felt the need to seperate them on this forum and created a league of their own. Same should go for the annual build-off. If there's a lot of interest amongst the bicycle-with-motors-crowd, start off another Build-off for bicycles with motors. If not, there is always the 'anything goes' build-off. Especially created for the guys who feel restricted by the rules. Really 'anything goes' means ANYTHING GOES! Motors, powdercoat, pro-paintjobs, stretched frames, buritos, etc...

imho, ofcourse.

herr_rudolf said:
Yep. Just like when you want a pro paintjob: Build it without one and wait untill the build-off is over. After that you can do whatever you want with the bike. If you enter a competition, you gotta play by the rules. (written and unwritten) If you don't 'want' to win, don't compete. I build my bike without the illusion that I'm going to win, but I'm still aiming for that.

I personally think Herr hit it right on the head. I really don't care if you bolt a motor to your bike but honestly you would lose a couple points on my vote because of it. It is a rat bicycle build-off that is built in your garage with your own two hands. Seems simple enough to me and that is exactly what I am doing. :wink:

Petrohead said:
It is a rat bicycle build-off that is built in your garage with your own two hands. Seems simple enough to me and that is exactly what I am doing. :wink:

THATS! , well said!!

herr_rudolf said:
The rules of the build-off are simple.

And so are the unwritten rules... imho.
I think the annual build off must be done in the same spirit of this forum. Low buck, backyard, and DIY.
AND it must be done in the spirit of Hotrodding: Using something mass produced as your base that the non hotrodding average joe considders old 'junk' and make something cool and unique out of it.
Soul.

The bike must have some soul.
Thers no such thing as a ratrodbike without soul. A new commuter huffy is a different story...

my personal feeling would be no only because as others said this is rat rod bikes not rat rod motorcycles.com. i know we have a section for them and they are sick heck i want to build one bad. but i think it kinda breaks the spirit of the comp too. its one of those once you allow it where does it end rules cause yea that would totally open up somehow putting a set of cranks on a harley and calling it good. after all there is no rule saying the frame has to be bicycle at least i dont think so which actually now that i think of it makes me kinda surprised no one has entered a moped. i thought about actually doing a motorized bike in the past i just did not want to stir that pot. however i think at least one has been entered in the past if i remember right.

Here's an example of my suggestion for the person who wants to build a motorized bicycle for the build off.

This would be your "finished" build off bike entry:
IMG_3669.jpg

This would be the day after you posted your "finished" photo:
IMG_3691.jpg

Just sayin.

Plus, if I was voting, I would vote for the top one before the bottom, the motor is cool, and it's my bike, but the bottom bike is not why I'm here.

I have an honest question....I searched in this discussion but didn't see any reference to it.

Basically I've got an opportunity to get a few pieces I want re chromed at virtually no cost.

I've seen all the haggling and "polite discussion" of the interpretation of the rules, and hate to open a can of worms here....

Would it be okay?

Please don't start a whole bugaboo, I'd take a few respected IMHO's.
Thanks and sorry.....

whoinphx said:
I have an honest question....I searched in this discussion but didn't see any reference to it.

Basically I've got an opportunity to get a few pieces I want re chromed at virtually no cost.

I've seen all the haggling and "polite discussion" of the interpretation of the rules, and hate to open a can of worms here....

Would it be okay?

Please don't start a whole bugaboo, I'd take a few respected IMHO's.
Thanks and sorry.....

IMHO and FWIW i have no problem with that. It's no different than buying a nos or rechromed piece from ebay. :D

Back