BUILD OFF #7 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting closer to finishing...

I realized today that if I'd have any chance of winning, I shouldn't build a klunker. However, I'm not building my bike to win. It's going to be a bike I wanted, and will get ridden.

If I were going to give a shot for winning the build-off, I'd go with something completely different... a camelback prewar frame, seriously slick drivetrain, custom wheels, and lots of hacked together parts. Custom tank, custom seat, custom cranks, custom everything.

Heck. I ought to just build the frame myself and do that anyway.

FunkyStickman said:

I realized today that if I'd have any chance of winning, I shouldn't build a klunker. However, I'm not building my bike to win. It's going to be a bike I wanted, and will get ridden.

If I were going to give a shot for winning the build-off, I'd go with something completely different... a camelback prewar frame, seriously slick drivetrain, custom wheels, and lots of hacked together parts. Custom tank, custom seat, custom cranks, custom everything.

Personally, I think building a "rider" should come before bling, style, etc. Bikes are meant to be ridden! I hate to see full blown customs that you can't even turn without scraping. My bike has and will get the wheels ridden off it. I do agree though....build something YOU like...getting votes is secondary.

Terry66 said:
FunkyStickman said:

Personally, I think building a "rider" should come before bling, style, etc. Bikes are meant to be ridden! I hate to see full blown customs that you can't even turn without scraping. My bike has and will get the wheels ridden off it. I do agree though....build something YOU like...getting votes is secondary.

Votes are fun! Last year, I was excited when I received my first vote. BEER RUN was ridden all over Savannah (including a 10 mile night ride with the SBC), but I wouldn't call it a rider.

I have built Flex-Liner 7 to be my new city cruiser from the beginning. I think it is a much better build than BEER RUN and has a better chance at getting votes too. But in the end I gots what I wants and I wants what I gots.

deorman said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJOdbGziVg&feature=related :mrgreen:

I hear ya brotha!!!!!

Times a wastin!!!!!!!!!!
GABOMMAS!!!!!!

Okay, everyone is posting updates and I just can't keep up on everyone's builds.
It's a blast to see people wrapping up stuff, but I need get back on stuff for my build.
I'll update later tonight.
Cheers my build brothas!!!! I just had a Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout.
Think I'm gonna switch to a Terrapin Moo-Hoo Choclate Milk Stout next!

The more I think about it, I had the chance to build a few different bikes (including a 20/16" krate and a 700C fixie) but I really wanted a bike to ride the local trail with. This leaves my Long Haul Trucker for road-only duty. No regrets, it's going to be a great klunker! More updates tomorrow... :cool:

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

FunkyStickman said:
The more I think about it, I had the chance to build a few different bikes (including a 20/16" krate and a 700C fixie) but I really wanted a bike to ride the local trail with. This leaves my Long Haul Trucker for road-only duty. No regrets, it's going to be a great klunker! More updates tomorrow... :cool:

My touring buddy has a Trucker. Those are some killer bikes. I decided to go with a Salsa Vaya for my touring rig, but the Trucker was my 2nd choice. I found a really cool vintage 700c frame the other day. I am thinking about making a fixie for my next project.

Terry66 said:
My touring buddy has a Trucker. Those are some killer bikes. I decided to go with a Salsa Vaya for my touring rig, but the Trucker was my 2nd choice. I found a really cool vintage 700c frame the other day. I am thinking about making a fixie for my next project.
Mine was hit side-on at 30mph by a car (with me on it) and only damage was the fork was bent a few mm. I swear by mine. It truly is a do-anything bike.

I think I will have to bring politics in to get votes,kiss a couple babies, lots of broken promises, something like....

American Ratrod Bikers, you have been deceived ,with promises of free health care, lower taxes, and more jobs created.
I am sorry that nothing has been done about this crisis :cry:
But if you vote for me, I will include a brand new car in your driveway, pay off your morgage, nexus 7 speed wheelset,jerald slicks (whitewall version ) babysit the kids for three weeks while you go on your three week trip to Jamaica, fold your laundry, $100,000 gift card for paypal and last but not least,,,a 1978 Concours condition step thru frame 20" Huffy Cactus Flower to be ratted to your specifications,
All prizes and promises may be subject to change due to lack of availability, and basicly its politics, truth don't matter!!!

Mr. Kool said:
Wow!!!!
Just spent some time checking all finished bikes now that mine is almost done.........

Choice is going to be so difficult, so much crazy stuff!!!!! :shock:

Congrats to all builders!!! 8)

+1

Just like last year, there is some very cool junk going down in this build off!!!!!
It's so fun seeing the builds start to come together or finish now.
Even some back page bandits building their way back in!!

kingfish254 said:
Mr. Kool said:
Wow!!!!
Just spent some time checking all finished bikes now that mine is almost done.........

Choice is going to be so difficult, so much crazy stuff!!!!! :shock:

Congrats to all builders!!! 8)

+1

Just like last year, there is some very cool junk going down in this build off!!!!!
It's so fun seeing the builds start to come together or finish now.
Even some back page bandits building their way back in!!

Yeah, voting is going to be insane. I am trying to catch all the new builds as they are added. I'm compiling a short list and hope to get it down to 10-15 bikes and then pick my three from there. First thing I look at is the styling of the bike. Does it catch my eye? Is it a head turner? If the answer is yes, then I look at the functionality of the bike. Is it rideable? Then lastly I look at the build thread. Did the builder take the time to document and present the build or did they just post a couple of updates? That's how I plan to use to narrow it down.

I am really going to miss the build off when it is wrapped up.

Back