Campground Buggy Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prepping the trunk for wiring the electrics. It took me quite a few attempts with the blue wire to get that piece of tubing through...
IMG_20210731_190821980.jpg

But now it's time for dinner. Maybe I continue later today with piecing together the various relais, switches and cables...

I had a lot of catching up to do on this build again. I love all the work you've put into this. It's one of my favorite builds this year.

love the wagon, sleigh meets classic corvette! Nice job!

growing up a friend of mine had a blue trike and we were constantly putting it on two wheels in the turns.... good memories.

Continued on the electrics today and spent a lot more time on it than expected...
One of the vintage NOS switches needed some tweaking to work the way I wanted for the turnsignals and when I hooked up the other one for the main lights the LED in the headlight decided to die, but it took a while until I realized it was the LED and not the switch or my wiring... 🤦
I also added some red underfloor lights from leftover LED strip.
Somehow my smartphone lost some of the pictures I have taken today and as I'm back home now these here must do. Later on I will post a walk around video as soon as YouTube is ready...
Overview:
20210801_202456.jpg
20210801_202504.jpg
20210801_202625.jpg
20210801_202616.jpg

Electronics compartment:
20210801_202637.jpg

Wiring and switches:
20210801_202551.jpg
20210801_202542.jpg
20210801_202538.jpg
20210801_202530.jpg
20210801_202522.jpg

Main switch:
20210801_202513.jpg

Finished headbadge:
20210801_202600.jpg

Now the trike sits in it's (very tight) garage, together with its folding sisters...
20210801_205053.jpg

As my summer break is over and I start working again tomorrow, progress will slow down now a bit... 😒
Next timeslot on the campground will be on Friday after work...

Last edited:
I had a lot of catching up to do on this build again. I love all the work you've put into this. It's one of my favorite builds this year.
Thanks! That means a lot coming from a serial winner 😁
love the wagon, sleigh meets classic corvette! Nice job!

growing up a friend of mine had a blue trike and we were constantly putting it on two wheels in the turns.... good memories.
Thank you! Yeah, two wheel turns are fun! 😜

To do list:
  • Installing chain guard
  • Hooking up horns and sirene and figuring out where to put the switches
  • Cleaning up the wiring
  • Buying more wire and a LED bulb for the headlight
  • Installing voltmeter
  • Locking mechanism for electronics compartment
  • Stickers
  • Cover
  • ....?

Thanks for the tour around the Back 40cm! It was like OJ with an accent.
Can't wait to see the undercarriage effect at night. Well done!

Yesterday I remembered that I must have a fitting chain guard somewhere in my basement stash.
Guess what, I even found it!
When I built/modded my first NSU some years ago, I had two guards and painted up both. This one didn't make it onto the bike:
IMG_20210803_165618970.jpg

IMG_20210803_165629051.jpg

It obviously will need some rustification before it goes on the trike, but the base colour is the same...

That tour around your shop and up close look at the trike was great! I get a similar sound in my shop when the raindrops land on the steel roof of the BACK40. :bigsmile: And as a person who spent 7 summers leading trips on trails and waterways in the woods of Northern Wisconsin, I have familiarity with time spent in 'cozy' spaces, aka tents and under tarps. Your video brought back warm thoughts of good times!

Those rear lights are amazing. There is a flexible coil wrap that I have seen that can be used to pull wires together. Not sure if it is available in your location or not.
coil wrap.jpg

Really fun listening to your commentary, SG! Your English is better than mine!

Barely a week passed and - dang it - I find myself on top of page two...
No real progress on the bike, as the infamous honey-do list was filled up to the brim and there was no chance to squeeze in bike time on the campground... 😒
But next weekend I plan to wrap this build up! I'm still hunting for some tiny bits and pieces but the end is in sight...
In the meantime I started the new school year with my favourite topic: traffic education.
Here's a look into my classroom: 😁
IMG_20210810_125605747.jpg

Barely a week passed and - dang it - I find myself on top of page two...
No real progress on the bike, as the infamous honey-do list was filled up to the brim and there was no chance to squeeze in bike time on the campground... 😒
But next weekend I plan to wrap this build up! I'm still hunting for some tiny bits and pieces but the end is in sight...
In the meantime I started the new school year with my favourite topic: traffic education.
Here's a look into my classroom: 😁
View attachment 167603
ooh... numbered desks!

Back