Countdown to build off 18

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will vote for any build done by a full time working employee. I entered last years build and had to do something every day on the bike to get it done. My wife is way cool about me doing the build off’s, but did mention that it was taxing on our relationship, due to not spending much time together. Builders with already dialed in plans, and ones with plenty of free time will do well this build. I predict less entries and more DNF’s. I’ll be sitting by and watching the action.
The old format was three months and if you go through the builds most people had long stretches of in activity then a rush at the end.

The old format was three months and if you go through the builds most people had long stretches of in activity then a rush at the end.
Came to post exactly that. The old format used to be 3 months and then over the years it morphed into the long extended summer grind. Which would always inevitably end up with a big middle section of either builds already finished or a lack of updates and then a huge hurry up rush at the end. Plus we had far more people complaining about how long and drawn out it was over those who were in favor of it. When we went out and looked at a cross-section of members the overwhelming majority were in favor of shortening it back up. This 3-month format allows us to get three full build-offs in per year so overall we will actually have many more opportunities and it will be on a schedule not random. You can plan ahead

... Builders with already dialed in plans, and ones with plenty of free time will do well this build. I predict less entries and more DNF’s. I’ll be sitting by and watching the action.
The top three build offs in terms of total finished bikes all came from the three month format era.

Came to post exactly that. The old format used to be 3 months and then over the years it morphed into the long extended summer grind. Which would always inevitably end up with a big middle section of either builds already finished or a lack of updates and then a huge hurry up rush at the end. Plus we had far more people complaining about how long and drawn out it was over those who were in favor of it. When we went out and looked at a cross-section of members the overwhelming majority were in favor of shortening it back up. This 3-month format allows us to get three full build-offs in per year so overall we will actually have many more opportunities and it will be on a schedule not random. You can plan ahead
But you say it so much better

Welcome to the 18th Annual Build Off on the Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum !!

What started as one man's dream for an online forum for those that dig the 'rat rod' style of bicycle building and appreciation; has turned into the realization of dream builds for hundreds of Forum member builds over the years.

If you have never participated in the annual Build Off, there is no time like the present! For those that are returning, welcome back! The RatRodBikes Build Off 18 (BO 18) will begin on May 1, 2023.

Please check the RRB BO 18 Rules thread for guidelines defining the two Class options and build parameters.
This discussion thread is for give and take about what you might build this year, questions about the Build Off, and generally getting hyped for another great build season on RRB!

Once again, welcome to the best rat rod bike building forum on the internet, and RRB BO 18 !!

As always,

RaT oN~!
OddJob
(representing the admins and moderaters of the RatRodBikes Forum)
Is my potential project class 1 or class 2? The typical class 2 project is way beyond my abilities. I might have to weld a derailleur hanger on to mount a funky old French rear derailleur that I may or may not use. It would be similar to this one I welded on.
44E32E81-5494-4B01-A612-16191826E9FF.jpeg

I will need to weld on a front triangle head tube brace like on this BMX frame.
71D2C7AF-1E7E-447C-987A-8E26E8BA8E23.jpeg

I’ll also need to weld on a rear triangle brace because I plan to use a rear drum brake on a road frame with thin fragile stays.
636DD769-1A7F-48D0-90DB-3ECD372C4DDC.jpeg

Everything else is bolt on.

Last edited:
I agree Ride Em High. Very intimidating.....
Did these bikes really come in 10th place? This is so intimidating. The Grocery Getter is genius.
it pushes creativety you will be amazed what you come up with once you start.Its really just a bunch of dudes hanging out in a virtual garage. Turns out to be a whole lot of fun.

I will vote for any build done by a full time working employee. I entered last years build and had to do something every day on the bike to get it done. My wife is way cool about me doing the build off’s, but did mention that it was taxing on our relationship, due to not spending much time together. Builders with already dialed in plans, and ones with plenty of free time will do well this build. I predict less entries and more DNF’s. I’ll be sitting by and watching the action.

I've been a working full time employee for BO6 through BO17. This will be my first build off as a retiree, but I'll actually have less time to commit than in all but two of my previous 12 bulld offs.

Three month build offs is the historically correct format. We've only been spoiled by the extra 4th month for a few years. I think it's a good move to go back to the 3 month format again.

Did these bikes really come in 10th place? This is so intimidating. The Grocery Getter is genius.

These were top ten bikes, but in some cases top 6 or 7 due to multiple groups of ties.
Don't be intimidated. Just build a cool bike and have fun!

Back