Countdown to RRBBO-9! ...START!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a build in mind but then a bill billed and a build bill came and I billed Bills build to build the build I wanted to build...

Merle. :crazy:

Last edited:
You created this monster.....:crazy:

I started a pretty simple build off....what happened happened to it after that I'm not sure. :21:

I've always toyed with the idea of just running an anything goes build off to see how it plays out. No rules at all except that you have to build the bike yourself and you can't have started it before the build off start date.

I usually get push back though every time I bring it up.

As someone stated earlier...even with the two categories last year, the traditional built bikes still dominated the competition.

I liked the way it was last year, completely understand that there was some builds that fell in the cracks and ended up in Anything Goes when their styling and build was more Traditional, but it did suit most people...

Luke.

I'll still build the same bike whether or not there are rules or anarchy.:crazy::rockout:

Last edited:
As someone stated earlier...even with the two categories last year, the traditional built bikes still dominated the competition.

It seems that is the identity of this site, as reflected in the Winter Build-Off we just completed. An awesome traditional styled bike walked away from the rest of us, while a couple of nice chopped and modded bikes sat 2/3rds of the way back in the voting. I think the two divisions gives the radical builders a chance to show their skills. I love the patina of an old bicycle, and obviously I'm not the only one. But, I see the skills and vision it takes to build a custom from scratch, or to twist an existing platform into something special. I think these builders deserve a category of their own.

Carl.

Can someone explain the difference between welding and hot glue?

They both use heat to melt material that bonds things together.
Structural integrity. Anyone ever done bamboo, wood, fiberglass, carbon fiber? I suppose those would fall into anything goes unless you bolt or glue them on.

Can someone explain the difference between welding and hot glue?

They both use heat to melt material that bonds things together.
Welding heats both the item being welded and the added material. Both go from a solid to a liquid and mix together at the area to be welded. That forms one item bonded together.

Where hot glue only melts the glue and adheres to the surface of the items being bonded together. So now you have two items formed as one but it isn't really one item, just bonded together.

What kind of time frame/window is there typically from the start to end of the buildoff?

The thing I plan on building is pretty elaborate, and I'm still trying to assemble the pieces for it.

"TRADITIONAL" BUILD OFF RULES
1. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
2. Start a new post and use the bike name as the post "Subject/Title." Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
3. Must use a factory production frame....no altering of original frame except for grinding off fender/chainguard tabs or shortening seat tube.
4. Bike must not already be built.
5. Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread please)
6. Bike must be ridable.
7. Use any bolt on parts you like.
8. Paint must be applied by builder, no powder coating...pinstripping by someone else is acceptable.
9. Don't ask a bunch of goofy questions trying to get around the rules...just build a cool bike and have fun.

"ANYTHING GOES" BUILD OFF RULES
1. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
2. Start a new post and use the bike name as the post "Subject/Title." Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
3. Bike must not already be built.
4. If you are building a custom frame, frame must be built by the forum member (this includes welding and fabrication).
5. Must include progress and finished photos (all in one thread please)
6. Bike must be ridable.

If the site moderators feel that your bike does not fit into the Traditional build off class you will be notified and your thread will be moved to the Anything Goes build class.

***Please be courteous to others and do not fill their build journals with off-topic posts. If it continues after a moderator warning, your account will be nuked.

This year's build off will begin on MAY 1ST, 2014 and will end on AUGUST 3rd, 2014.

You must post photos of your completed bike in the "FINISHED RRBBO9" forum by 9:00 p.m. CST, August 3, 2014.

My favorite rule is
"just build a cool bike and have fun"

Are goofy questions allowed in Anything Goes? I notice it has been omitted from the Traditional rules.
Yes, they are allowed in Anything Goes, however, they will be semantically ignored.

Back