DRAG KING ___Raceliner Dragster___

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to rig them up so the change from Amber to Green to Red
images

Now that the holidays are behind us and the first week of July is almost gone, it's crunch time to get this thing finished. Most of the major stuff has been checked off of the list, but there are still several things that need to be done.

One of those things is something that I've been planning for a while, and today seemed like a good time to start it while I'm waiting on UPS to deliver my parts from McMaster-Carr.

An absolute must for all dragsters is a tachometer. Right?:39:

Back when I was working on the idler sprocket, I had the idea to also use it for the connection to a tachometer drive gear. Because it spins directly from the drive train, it occurred to me that, it would only measure engine RPMs. (Of course my legs are the engine, but I digress:grin:). Anyway, as I was saying, it will only gauge the drive revolutions unlike the typical front hub connect that is driven by the bikes movement regardless of whether you're pedaling or coasting. The gauge will be mounted on top of the tank and the cable will be routed through the tank and along the frame down to the chain idler.

Here's the first mock-up...
100_7321_zps461d80d9.jpg

I've never used a bike tachometer/speedometer, so I had never considered which side of the hub the drive gear connects to. This turned out to be a problem when I discovered that the ones that I had taken from exercise bikes required that they mounted on the right side which for me would be the chain side. Luckily after scouring ePay I found one that mounts on the left and reverses the cable rotation so that the gauge spins in the proper direction!

Here's a closer look at the drive gear...
100_7320_zps05f13746.jpg

Last edited:
Speedo definitely needs a new face so it's a real tach.
Now I have even more incentive to fix my speedo...

Carl. :headbang:

Great idea!

Luke.
Thanks Luke, I'm sure that someone has thought of something like it, but I've never seen a tach for pedaling before.
Speedo definitely needs a new face so it's a real tach.
Now I have even more incentive to fix my speedo...

Carl. :headbang:
Yep, it'll get a tachometer face when I decide which one to use. I've got three different sizes that I'm trying to decide between.

Great thinking and placement on the pedalometer!!!!

It's been helpful and fun to see how everyone thinks about some of the choices I've had to make, so here's another one.:D

For the tach (or pedalometer) I have three different sizes from my stash to choose from; small, medium or large.

I set the camera on a tripod and made some comparison shots...
Tachchoices_zps18d40fc6.jpg

What do you think? None is not a choice.;)

I like the smallest one the best.

Back